Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690507
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battalion Level Rules for starting off in Napoleonics?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Battalion Level Rules for starting off in Napoleonics?
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
I imagine this has been asked many times before, but if anyone could offer some opinions it would be much appreciated...
Essentially, I'd like recommendations for 15mm Napoleonics rules, ideally control at battalion level so I can put a brigade or two on the table, possibly a division but not really beyond that. Something which can encapsulate the Revolutionary period would also be good.

General de Brigade

I used to have these, and quite frankly have never, ever, been able to get my head round the basing system; it's been explained to me many times, and still something just doesn't click when I'm thinking of putting forces together and discovering it wants different numbers of figures per base for different nations at different times and so forth, so I'm looking at 5 bases of 7 figures, 6 bases of 8 figures and so forth. It seems like I need to have the same battalions based in all sorts of different ways depending on their strength at the time of the battle. I know historically battalions weren't all the same size, and I know they're supposed to be very good rules,  but if anyone would care to have a go at explaining the basing system to me maybe it'll go better this time?!

I'm not sure about which stage of the period, either early campaigns in anticipation of Blue Moon releasing figures for it later this year/in 2014, or Prussians/Austrians vs various German states... I'd love to give the rules another go if I can work out the basing. I'm probably being dense  o_o

Napoleon at War

These sound fun, and simple in terms of logistics of making up forces, especially given all the nicely boxed up units. I was thinking it might be an easy way in. Anyone have any experience of them?

Lasalle

Seem to require a heck of a lot of figures for even a small force? Had a look at the download from the site explaining composition of a French Division; where it says something like 2 Guard, 4 Line, 3 Conscript, does that mean brigades? In which case each of those need 3 or 4 battalions?

Republic to Empire

I know these are 28mm, but guessing they can work for 15mm, I'm interested on the basis that they presumably are set up for playing the Revolutionary period as well, or at least the early campaigns?

Any other suggestions welcome! Looking to have a root around at Cavalier on the 24th if I can settle on something.

Cheers!
Rob

Offline Ed von HesseFedora

• Lurker
Re: Battalion Level Rules for starting off in Napoleonics?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
Rob,

First caveat I always put on a reply like this:  what are the people around you doing? If there is any pre-existing Napoleonics in your area or circle of friends, I recommend at least being compatible.

As to GdB, the companies change because the real-world companies changed. Both R2E and NaW ignore the company structure.

Around here (South Texas), Napoleon at War would be the way to go. I don't have my books with me, but they are usually 24-figure battalions.

NaW does not have official support yet beyond what you see in their downloads, but once you are familiar you should be able to make Revolutionary statistics.

R2E has a small section in the back giving suggestions for the Revolutionary period, but it really is more Napoleonic in the "main" section.

Good luck,
Ed

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
Regimental Fire & Fury 1812  although for North America it should not take much to add the European sides especially if you have Age of Eagles ruleset.
http://www.fireandfury.com/rffsupport/rff1812.shtml
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
If this is new to you then I'd check out  Neil Thomas's "Napoleonic Wargaming". It a book with lots of back ground information and a well thought out set of rules that can be used with any size of figures and and scale of battle. Purists might not like the abstract approach but it does mean you won't  have to lay our for unit upon unit. The rules give a good feel for the period and will certainly play out over a few hours.

Lasalle are also a good set. I've played them a few times and only with historical orders of battle never a points vs point game. Again it gives the correct feel (to me at least) and plays to conclusion in a few hours. In 15mm I don't think you have to worry about the units too much - I managed it in 28mm and have a division each of French, British and Prussians including arty and cavalry.

In both of these sets a unit is a unit 1- brigade, battalion or whatever. Personally I use them as battalion's but each to their own.

If you are lucky and manage to find a set you feel is right for you first time......well done indeed. Everyone has a different idea of what napoleonic games should look and feel like. What's most intranet is you enjoy the game !

The Emir

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:22 AM »
Our group plays Shako 2. We play with 25/28 MM figures but also with 15mm. There are rules for both scales, however we intentionally use the 25mm scale for 15mm.

Battalions are 12 figures each, except for Austrian large battalions which are 16. In both scales.
Cavalry are 6 figures in 25/28mm and 8 figures for 15mm. Old Glory have 16 figures per bag which give two regiments. Two guns per battery in both scales.

Divisions are anywhere from 4 to 12 battalions, and there are two scenario books published.
Fields of Glory by Chris Leach.
1809 by Michael Hopper.

Both have large and small battles.

I really like these rules, they give you a good feel to the period with a typical battle running 2.5 to 3 hours.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »
Ok,
I've played all 4 many times...

I like General de Brigade but it is better suited for slightly smaller actions ( maybe half a division per side ), in my opinion, unless you can play over a weekend or so.

Lasalle is fun and is great for convention games, it is easy to grasp. It can become a bit too generico if you play it many times but it is a question of taste.

Shako2 is a very agile system. I think it is a pretty good set of rules for battles where you actually might have a couple of divisions per side or even more.

NaW is a very good set of rules, the one I play more often these days. It has a great system for army lists and pick up games with fun scenarios that can provide very good games lasting between 3-4 hours.
If you scale it up it is also a lot of fun, we played the full battle of Quatre Bras starting at 10AM and ending by 6PM ( one hour break for lunch )
you can find an AAR here http://tinyurl.com/cbp53md

I've done some other historical scenarios for NaW, here : http://www.manatwar.es/?page_id=4/general/quatre-bras-derlons-attack-scenarios/&value=quatre%20bras&type=1&include=1&search=1&ret=all

Also another option you can try is Drums and Shakos Large battles, probably good for games between half a division and up to a division per side. The good thing is that you can get the PDF cheap at WargamesVault.

cheers
Francisco