Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dystopian Legions Tankettes  (Read 8569 times)

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dystopian Legions Tankettes
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
That's the mistake Dystopian Legions made. I would have bought a pack or two of the infantry if they hadn't been so out of scale with 25/28mm miniatures. You can only use their troops with their game, which will limit their sales.

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
Have there been any statements from Spartan Games as to why they chose to make the figures that size?

Surely they must have realised that it would reduce their sales potential. :?

Blodwin

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
Have there been any statements from Spartan Games as to why they chose to make the figures that size?

Blodwin

and

That's the mistake Dystopian Legions made. I would have bought a pack or two of the infantry if they hadn't been so out of scale with 25/28mm miniatures. You can only use their troops with their game, which will limit their sales.

That might explain it all, though - from my point of view - this is unwise: I have lots of 28mm VSF stuff and would have bought at least one box of each of their stuff had it been scaled properly.  Sad.  :'(
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
That might explain it all, though - from my point of view - this is unwise: I have lots of 28mm VSF stuff and would have bought at least one box of each of their stuff had it been scaled properly.  Sad.  :'(

Yep, me too. Especially those bikes and the walkers. I might get a walker anyway, as I think it will still work as an armoured suit. The tankettes are a possibility as well. But the infantry is just too darn big.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Vern

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »

Thanks for the pic - I think when cash allows, I'll be picking some up. They look perfect for fantasy WW1 use :D

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »

x 2. The figures look lovely but the lack of compatibility killed my interest. And the crazy thing is that it's not that I want to use other manufacturers for the core units, it's things like the terrain and non-combatants (or things not in their range).

Oh well ...
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure they did it because the market is flooded with 28mm steampunk minis.
It's a shame, but the minis are nice and when you see them in person, they are certainly tempting...

I haven't got any yet, but I am seriously considering it...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
The tankettes are less bound by scale, and go well with most 28mm figures - perhaps better than with 32mm scale ones, ironically.
The little beasties are nicely detailed, and go together well with very little cleaning required, most effort being needed for the metal tracks and wheels (which are one component for each side).
The gun can easily be replaced with a gauss or tesla or whatever-strikes-your-fancy gun. The hatches on top are the only disappointing part. They can be fitted in open or closed position. If open, they reveal a solid surface, and if a half-figure is placed there as a crewman looking out he'd look a bit funny sticking out of a solid surface. In the closed position they're too small, and I had to add some plastic card to keep them in place and minimize the gap left. There are two L-shaped brackets per tankette, and it's not obvious where they go - these are fitted at bottom centre, one per side, below the doors, and fit into the large central wheel.
Other than these minor niggles, they're nice models with good detail. The resin hull (one solid block) includes a steam engine in the rear, and that makes the vehicle very VSF indeed, and gives character. And you get a pair of tankettes in each box, which is good. The metal tracks and wheels are quite nice, and the unusual design again gives the tankette character. A very nice detail was a finely ribbed surface on the pins (two on each side of the resin hull, one on each of the brackets I mentioned above) which provides an excellent surface for glue adhesion, clearly much better than a flat surface. This makes the bond with the wheels much stronger, and is a nice consideration.
My acrylics are adhering well to both metal and resin parts. I'll post pics when they're finished. One day.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:48:11 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 02:01:04 AM »
Well I bought a couple of the Prussian Tankettes. I can't bring myself to use them as two man tankettes. Even two small people couldn't fit in.

However, since I am basing my AVACW in Illinois they do look like someone armored over a Caterpillar farm tractor.

http://remarkablevehicles.com/index.php?title=File:1929-caterpillar-tractor-06745.JPG

Like that and made a one man tankette. Such things were tried (and found wanting) but in a desperate situation they might be tried again.

Or should I just claim they are two man tankettes and claim they are manned by short skinny people?

An FT-17 doesn't look likes it has much room in it either.

Still will need to saw off and replace the MG, maybe with a BAR?

Bunny

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
I've seen the tankettes in the flesh and was thinking of using them with the new 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' or even Martian Empires where the figures are 15/18mm

They would work very well...IMHO

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
<snip>

/url]  [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/10903634@N05/]

Well, cut off the engine  :o  :o  :o and put it on the other end, ditto the weapon (or leave it off,) find  a reason  o_o  :o for the larger wheel in the rear/smaller wheel in the front, use it [LAF heresy alert] with true 25 mm [or 1/72nd, 20 mm,18 mm, 15 mm, 10 mm,) troopers, carve a few view slots/armored windows,  and you have an armored "recon" vehicle, a Gatling Gun/native horde suppressor, or (sans gun) an armored tractor for hauling guns/supply carts.  if you use 20 or 18/15 mm troops it looks like it would work handily.

Just a little work, right?  ;D   ;)   lol

;)  Waaay too big for 3 or 6 mm troops...

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:02:48 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I've seen the tankettes in the flesh and was thinking of using them with the new 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' or even Martian Empires where the figures are 15/18mm

They would work very well...IMHO

My only concern is they might be too big but not overly so?  I would accept it but some people might find it disturbing next to any "in scale by design" tankettes (do any exist?) on the table.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
You can only use their troops with their game, which will limit their sales.

Weeelllll,  ::) if you built your VSF armies only with their stuff (say a beginner,) filled in perceived "gaps" with scratch built and conversions, and provided both sides in games then it would work fine.  If you have armies already, not so much I suspect.

I have legacy forces of Ral Partha 25 mm sized stuff from the 1970's/1980's and (Great Endeavours?) figures which are the original Ral Partha and "sculpted to match" figures so for me their infantry would have to be clockwork wind-ups and the like.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
I've seen comparison pics on the web and seen them in the flesh.  They are closer to 33-35mm.  A real shame... :'(

Maybe the sculptor felt he/she could get more details in that size?

Or scale creep was assumed?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »

Blodwin

They did it because they're aiming at a very specific customer - the sort that only plays 40k/Warmachine/FoW, etc. ie, the sort of person who never buys into any game that doesn't have its own miniatures range. They don't want 'freethinkers' such as us coming in and bursting their bubble.  lol

Someone bought a box from me at the weekend, and was planning on using them as  Death Korps of Krieg artillery tractors

I was thinking along the same lines...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells