Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cult of the Children, Genestealer Cult  (Read 12110 times)

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
Cult of the Children, Genestealer Cult
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Hey all, I'd like to show you all my WIP Cult which is currently being displayed in GW Watford.

Fluff:

Genestealer Hybrids, by Dave Gallagher

Generations
Each hybrid generation possesses a somewhat specific anatomy. By infecting a victim with its genetic material, a Genestealer passes on some of its physical characteristics to the victim's first offspring. In the first generation, this gives rise to a Hybrid with a number of Genestealer traits. Through successive generations of Hybrids these traits become less extreme, until in the fourth generation the Hybrids can pass as normal Humans.
First generation: The first generation Hybrids are born to human (or otherwise) parents, one of which has been infected. Of all the generations they resemble Genestealers most closely. They have either three or four arms.
Second generation: Second generation hybrids always possess three arms, one of which ends in the genestealer claw.
Third Generation: These hybrids possess bodies somewhere between the crouched bodies of genestealers and the humanoid shapes of humans. They appear perpetually crouched, possess two or three arms one of which might end in a genestealer claw. Some lack the ovipositor of preceding generations; these are called drones or neuters, although they can still infect other races through their blood.
Fourth Generation: This generation is virtually indistinguishable from members of the host species. They retain the hypnotic gaze of genestealers, making them rather charismatic. A "mutant" which can appear among this generation is the Magus, which takes the highest position in a Genestealer Cult, besides the Genestealer Patriarch. The first offspring of fourth generation hybrids are invariably purestrain genestealers, allowing the cycle to continue.

Cult of the Children

My Cult are almost at the final stages, all 4 generations of Hybrid have been spawned/born. But it hasn't all gone the Cults way the Patriarch has been killed and there's yet to be any Purestrains born. Therefore my Cult is led by a Magus Sirval(A 4th Generation Hybrid) until a Purestrain can take over the role of Patriarch.

The Cult of the Children was a religious group on Darvon VI, founded by a former Assistant Navigator, Sirval. It was a cloak for a Genestealer Cult which later brought the planet under its control. Sirval had been infected by a genestealer, after which he retired from space travel, settling on Darvon VI, marrying and having children.
The tenets of the cult promoted modesty and hard work, but also complete seclusion from the rest of society, and forbid its followers from travelling off planet. As much of the population were members of the cult, the planet couldn't fulfill its obligation of raising regiments for the Imperial Guard. When a recruiting force of Ogryns descended on the cult's isolated settlements, the cult finally began its uprising, eventually bringing the entire planet under its contro

Short story from 1st Ed Space Hulk:

The Assistant Navigator Sirval was the only survivor of the space freighter Tantalus III which was attacked en route to the Imperial world of Darvon VI. The freighter was boarded by Genestealers and Genestealer Hybrids. Sirval was spared to become a host, and infected by a Genestealer. He was later rescued in a lifeboat in orbit around the gas giant Darvon VIII. Sirval told his rescuers that the Tantalus was attacked by pirates.
The rescuers' shuttle took Sirval to Darvon VI. It towed the lifeboat back to the planet with them, the shuttle's captain planning to claim salvage rights. Sirval was subjected to rigorous examination. Because the Inquisition concluded Sirval showed no signs of spiritual pollution, he was released.
The lifeboat was to be brought down to the planet's space port. However, during the journey to the planet's surface, contact with the pilot was lost. Shortly afterwards the lifeboat crash landed in a dense forest. A purestrain genestealer had presumably killed the crew, and survived the crash landing on the planet.
Three months later, Sirval married a young woman from the city, moved out of town and began homesteading fifteen miles from the site of the crash. A year later, their first child was born.
Subsequently he founded the Cult of the Children, a new religious group; its tenets promoted modesty, industry, and complete seclusion. The cult grew inexorably in power and number until it became the second most popular religion on the planet. Most of the cultists were innocent dupes, completely unaware of the sinister origins of the cult and its even more frightening objectives. However, innocent or not, their number gave the cult a great deal of power on the lightly populated planet. Despite the cult's growing strength, the government did not recognize them as a threat.
It was tolerated, and even seen as beneficial, because its tenets included assent to worldly authority, ("Render unto the Emperor what is the Emperor's"). The Governor did not begrudge the cultists their peculiarities - if the members wished to stay in seclusion or travel about in black, voluminous robes, as long as they paid their taxes, that was their business.
The "religion" of course was nothing more than a genestealer cult, bent on complete dominance, and the planet was overrun and taken over by the cult.

Full army shot (At time of picture), minus a few HW teams.

2 Magus and 3 Genestealer Familiars, used as a Battle Psyker Squad

Company Command Squad

Platoon 1, Command Squad

10 Hybrids: Platoon 1, Squad 1

10 Hybrids: Platoon 1, Squad 2

3 Hybrid Autocannon Teams

Enjoy and please feel free to comment

Cheers
Chico

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Re: Cult of the Children, Genestealer Cult
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
Awsome!

I just love those armies that get less GW "love".
Any vehicles planned? I would love to see some civilian cars for the HQ unit. :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:18:02 PM by von der Tann »
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
very nice, I'll pop in and have a proper look at them over the weekend - do you work in there Chico? always looking for more local gamers (we're over in Hemel)

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »
Awsome!

Any vehichles planned? I would love to see some civilian cars for the HQ unit. :D

Hey, tanks are planned to be started soon. First up will be 2 looted/stolen PDF Thunderers then a Limo in the classic style. For my Troops APC's im going to be converting up Ork Trucks.

First to finish though is the 2nd Platoon on Hybrids and to get round to buying a Patriach.Heh the joys of an army which will never get finished as i'll always want to add more.

very nice, I'll pop in and have a proper look at them over the weekend - do you work in there Chico? always looking for more local gamers (we're over in Hemel)

No i'm just a regular and happened to win the Army of the Month contest which the winner gets displayed for a few weeks in the shop window. If you looking for a few games/gamers head down to the Watford store on Thursday night for are games Club, we quite a mature lot.

Cheers
Chico
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:34:25 PM by Chico »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
Cracking stuff, nice to see some characterful 40k armies still around.

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
Super stuff!! Agree with dijit and von der tan, great to see some more of the armies GW dropped over the years. Bring back genestealer cults, squats et al!!!
Cholly

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
So much cult goodness. Very excited to see the limo and the tanks when they're ready! Which model will you be using for the basis of the limo, or are you going to scratchbuild it?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
Very, very nice! Of course to do such  a nice army true justice it should be played using the old and great Rogue Trader rules :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
They're superb, really amazing!

Me too, but even more when, like this one, is so well executed.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
Very nice! I am actually painting up a Genestealer Cult right now as we speak  ;D Mine is still mostly Genestealers, but Cultists and Hybrids will be joining them.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
Makes me sad to think how many young 40K players now would simply ask "wait, what?  What's a genestealer cult?"

:-X
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
that's just awesome !

genestealer's cult is just my favorite army in all 40k universe
always wanted to built some genestealer warband-I've got all the magus and the sitting patriarch too- but what are the best proxies to make some troops ?

I think about  "heresy delaque gang" or pig iron kolony militia which could be a good start but is there some brand which makes good hybrids ?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
Very cool. And so jealous you have the magus for the sitting patriach. I only have the Patriach!
Great to see such a cohesive paint scheme as well. Really cool!!!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Hey, tanks are planned to be started soon. First up will be 2 looted/stolen PDF Thunderers then a Limo in the classic style. For my Troops APC's im going to be converting up Ork Trucks.

First to finish though is the 2nd Platoon on Hybrids and to get round to buying a Patriach.Heh the joys of an army which will never get finished as i'll always want to add more.

No i'm just a regular and happened to win the Army of the Month contest which the winner gets displayed for a few weeks in the shop window. If you looking for a few games/gamers head down to the Watford store on Thursday night for are games Club, we quite a mature lot.

Cheers
Chico

I might well do that, I did use to come over to the club on I think it was a Wednesday night at a venue in Queens Road, but over 90% of the games were the latest incarnations of WHFB or WH40K (it wasn't a GW exclusive club just no-one played much else) and I don't play those very much if at all, I prefer my 40K how it was in the RT era - you know, genestealer cults, squats, zoats, pirates etc or at least the feel of it then. I may still pop in just to say hi  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
Great stuff, Chico.
Love a bit of retro 40k.
 :-*

Really surprised that they allow them in the shop window as I thought their policy was to only show stuff that can still be bought.
Pleasantly surprised, I might add.