Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN game boards (Guide to Cobbles on page 4)  (Read 36180 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: IHMN game boards
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »
Well, tonight's not getting a picture as I have to hold some things back for now with regards to the buildings :)

Today I started building the crane which will be at the river side. It's again a Peco 0 guage railway model:

A little awkward to assemble and needs to be done in a couple of stages which is why it's not finished. It'll get finished tomorrow once the plastic glue is all dry. Looks good though.

I've also been playing with the roads for the street board and placing mock-up buildings to test gaps and fit. I shall confer with my compatriots tomorrow about final setup and changes but can then get on with it.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
Well, tonight's not getting a picture as I have to hold some things back for now with regards to the buildings :)

We want photos Goddammit! We can't wait til Salute.  ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
There will be pics before Salute I expect but the pieces I'm using currently are tests and mock ups, so are a hodge podge of colours and textures. Not pretty.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
If that crane is anything to go by it looks like we're in for a treat  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
Im just sorry Im not there to help out, I loved working on both the projects of yours I did before.....

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Help on projects like this should always be encouraged and accepted  :D

Currently cutting roads to size and laying them on the board. Will probably take a couple of days to do with the little time I get to work on it, but I'll take a pic once they are down.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
I am without teaching commitments as of Friday 22nd March - i have barrels and a house to finally sort but let me know if there is anything else I can do. We are all in this together, old boy! :D
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Pop round, it's currently all mock laid out.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: IHMN game boards (Now with Cobbles)
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:44 AM »
Right, apologies for the lack of updates but the last few days have been spent with me fighting materials. I was given a big bunch of the GF9/FoW 15mm cobblestone roads to use for the board and they are great for paved roads. I would like to say however that whoever decided this was a good 15mm product had clearly been drinking as the cobbles would be the size of large flagstones! For 28mm however, they're great, the only issue is the width, which has been done to 15mm sized roads. So why the delay? Because these things are designed to go together end to end and you can get some almost seamless joins with a bit of care and a sharp knife, but side to side is a whole different matter. The roads vary in thickness, have shrank after pouring to varying degrees and are often not straight, all of which means they are a nightmare to get looking good. That said, a suggestion has been made by a colleague about how to overcome this which holds promise so I'm taking a break before I destroy them all and working on a different section.

Tonights task was to get some cobbles done. The street board will have the paved roads but for the warehouse/dock area I wanted a more rugged and rough feel. This will be the home of the lentil cobblestones :)

So a quick walkthrough of how I've done them....

The first thing I did was mark out the first section of road with doublesided tape. I used carpet tape as it's nice and wide. Then I dumped a small pile of lentils at one end. I use Lentils Verte as they have a nice colour variation and are a good size. They do have their skins on though so make sure you don't get them wet as it can cause it to lift. Interestingly these are not the same thing as green lentils which are wider and flatter but from the name I would have assumed they were.

Cobbles 1 by dewbakuk

I then pushed the lentils along the tape so that they spread out a little. This works better than just dumping the lentils all the way along as it results in less lentils falling all over the floor and also controls their distribution.

Cobbles 2 by dewbakuk

You don't want the lentils too close together as they tend to overlap and it looks wrong in the finished piece. Push them around to spread them a little, the tape grips them but won't hold them making it easy to position them how you like. Once they are spread to a satisfactory covering, gently run your fingers back and forth over the lentils, this will cause the lentils which are on their edges or overlapping too much to come loose and either fall into place elsewhere or can be brushed down to the next section. Then press down firmly on the lentils to make sure they are flat and reasonably well attached, any which are still angled too much will become obvious to your fingertips and can be flicked aside. Don't worry too much about it looking patchy, that will dissapear later, although if it seems too much, just lay a couple of lentils in any big holes. You probably only want to work on a 6 inch stretch at a time doing this as it's easy to get lost.

Here's a pic during this process, you can still see a few lentils which are on their edges.

Cobbles 3 by dewbakuk

Here's a pic of the first road stretch after lentils are done.

Cobbles 4 by dewbakuk

Next pic shows the next stretch of cobbles to be worked on. This is the main working area and the cut outs in the tape are where the warehouse steps will sit. You can also see the small cup I stole from my daughters cupboard which I use to pour the lentils currently heaped at the start of this stretch :)

Cobbles 5 by dewbakuk

So, rinse and repeat until you've covered the area you want. I then tip the board up to allow any loose lentils to fall off.

Cobbles 6 by dewbakuk

The next step is to add the sand. Use a few small heaps dumped on the lentils so that you don't end up with huge amounts to clear from any area.

Cobbles 7 by dewbakuk

Gently spread the sand over the lentils with your fingers, filling the gaps inbetween and partially covering them. Once it's covered start to brush the sand away with your fingertips. This is where the magic happens as all of a sudden it starts to look like a cobbled area! All the gaps tend to dissapear here and also, any last lentils that were too loose or out of place will come free with the sand. You want to get the top of the lentils clear of the sand so that you have a cobble, not dirt, and you don't want heaps of sand for the same reason. Just brush it gently off to the sides allowing it to naturally form a sloped edge and reveal the cobbles. The natural size variation in the lentils will give you an uneven floor which adds to the look so don't worry about having to brush down more in some places than others. Brush the excess sand away from the cobbled area to give you some clear space.

Here's that last pic for this installment.

Cobbles 8 by dewbakuk

The last stage I'm doing right now is to spray the cobbled area with a cheap hair spray. This acts as a fixative and holds the sand in place while you do any other bits that need working on. Do not tip your board before this as the sand will all dissapear from between your cobbles!

The final stage which I will come back to later, is to spray a PVA water mix over the sand and cobbles to seal it and make it all solid. I'm not doing it now because I'm not finished with sandy ares and I'll do it all in one go. Also, it's now early morning so I'm going to bed :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: IHMN game boards (Guide to Cobbles on page 4)
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »
Interesting method that's seems to have worked a treat  :)

I still say you should stick them on by hand  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
I still say you should stick them on by hand  ;D

For a future build I may yet do that but I don't get much time to work on this and that takes soooooooooooooo long.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »
For a future build I may yet do that but I don't get much time to work on this and that takes soooooooooooooo long.

But very therapeutic  :D

Now what you have to do is pick out each individual cobble with a slightly different tone when painting them...

cheers

James

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »

Now what you have to do is pick out each individual cobble with a slightly different tone when painting them...

Yes, of course. Anything you say dear.

Actually that will be done to an extent, with a few shades used in batches.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
Why not mix pva with the sand before application?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
Why not mix pva with the sand before application?

Because you need the sand to flow. With pva mixed in it would clump and not go between the lentils unless you forced it down, which would push the lentils off. Plus the sand would stick to the top of the lentils.