Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharpe for skirmish  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »
Intrigued by recently watching again the old 'Sharpe' series, I've pondered the idea of some small skirmish scale scenarios for the Napoleonic wars. Setting and story seem perfect for heroic fights and the like. Now I'm wondering which set of rules to use. I took a close look at the demo version of Gloire. The 'micro-scale' is very appealing, but I'm not sure if and how to modify the rules so as to better reflect Napoleonic warfare.

I have to admit that I'm not very experienced and as such not keen on changing or inventing rules. So if you like to throw in your suggestions or mad ideas for weapons, characters, scenarios etc. etc. - Or if you have another ruleset which you could recommend - do it, all input is much valued!

This thread should be a kind of brainstorming, before I get stuck into a new idea which could've done with a little thought beforehand. :D

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
As a completely biased and unreliable observer, I think you could make Gloire work for Sharpe. The only issue is that with the small board sizes, Sharpe & Co. will get off one shot before the Frenchies will be on them with bayonets, so you'd have to work to create scenarios that were more than "pot that fellow, somebody!"

I think you should give yourself more license to change the rules around. Rules work only if they give you a game that feels right. If it doesn't "feel" right, change it! Don't worry about balance! Gloire can take quite a bit of abuse before it gets all wonky, so I think you should feel free to change it around a bit.

If you want a slightly shootier game, play around with the reloading rules. Right now in Gloire they are VERY slow, and if you want a little more of a skirmish feel, you might reduce the time it takes to reload a weapon. I wouldn't do that necessarily - I'd play up close combat more with bayonets and sabers first - but it might be one approach.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Be warned - if you start Sharpe, sooner or later you'll stumble over Grand Manner's marvelous terrain, and that'll be your ruin!

For rules sets, why not give Legends of the Old West a try? This Very Ground might work, too!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:21:20 PM »
Black powder battles is designed to play Napoleonish skirmish, with few minis per side (5-10).

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/bpb.htm

I didn't try this one, but I enjoy TWH system generally.

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »
As I'm still around, just a quick reply to you both. (First thanks for answering!)

PeteMurray,
since the skirmishers of that period were known for their somewhat unconventional style of reloading their guns, I really thought about changing the rules on that. But not only for the Rifles but also for Voltigeurs or even guerrilleros. Hmm, maybe a bit too far...

Poliorketes,
I've already stumbled. :wink: For the rules: I also thought about LotOW and TVG. The latter is a bit too 'realistic'. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ruleset and we're using it extensively for our FIW-games. But I want some heroic (and unrealistic) action. LotOW would be fine, but the tables are rather big, compared with the micro-style of Gloire. It's still on the list, so maybe...

PS: While writing I saw your post, too, Le matou rouge. I've seen these rules before and just now I've ordered their PDF. Never can have enough rules... :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Quote from: "Mad Doc Morris"
PeteMurray,
since the skirmishers of that period were known for their somewhat unconventional style of reloading their guns, I really thought about changing the rules on that. But not only for the Rifles but also for Voltigeurs or even guerrilleros. Hmm, maybe a bit too far...

No no no! You've got the idea! Drill reloading is for nameless Jean Duponts and Tommy Atkinses on the line. Heroes can spit bullets down the barrel of a Baker, or have a trick for speed-ramming shots out of their carbines. Guerrillos are unconstrained by the combat drill.

You've got it! Go with your instincts! :D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
I have to admit as an unabashed fan of Gloire I think it would be cracking for Sharpe. Cavalry might have to be dealt with though...

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
note that, usually the light infantry blokes were better trained than the rest of the line troops.

but in order to get more accurate shots, they didn't load their rifle (for those who had one) or musket in the normal way.
for this they didn't use the regular "cartuchos" (Portuguese name) which I think that are called cartridges.
they chose the amount of powder to use and loaded the lead ball evolved in tissue into the gun, this narrowed the gap between the inner surface of the barrel and the projectile, but because of this they had to hammer the shot down the barrel using the reloading rod. this took significantly more time to reload than the normal way

This type of shot was used when the light infantry had time to reload this way, and needed to shoot with better accuracy or range, else they reloaded as the line troops

Note that in the period, the statistics told that typically a kill would only be made per 200 shots.

If you want some detail I guess you can include this in your rules! :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
Thanks again for the input!
meninobesta,
does that mean that rifleman and the like should be even slower at reloading if  using, say, the special rules of their guns? Hm, that could be interesting: pumped up muskets, killers at distance, but bloody slow at reloading.
Aaron,
horses would be nice, but not for such a small scale me thinks. Maybe if LotOW is still an option.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
If the rifleman was using that special shot, then he should take more time than average to reload! (whatever the gun)

If the rifleman was using the normal shot he should take as much time as a well trained soldier!

now the gun itself:

there were two major infantry guns: the musket and the rifle, the last was only possessed by the Light Infantry (but don't forget that there were a lot of light infantrymen that didn't use riffles)

The rifle is more accurate then the musket, which also means better efficient range! this is due to the fact that the rifle had grooves cut inside the barrel.

the other not so apparent difference between these guns is that the musket is bigger, which made the musket a better melee weapon, but the rifle usually had bigger bayonets (usually similar to small swords) in order to transform them into similar melee weapons as the muskets!

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
Afraid so... the baker rifle is a lot slower to reload than the Brown Bess. The Generals at the time were more interested in 4 rounds per minute firepower than something that could kill somebody at range...

Having run around numerous battlefields as a skirmisher the baker is out shot by Voltigers at closer range. once they closed the Baker would be loaded in standard fashion without the greased patch for the ball, meaning at closer range it became less accurate.

But as you are writing this in the swashbuckling area of the forum - I say what the hell and go for it a la swashbuckling mode. reloading on the run (an almost impossible task I hasten to add), firing with a baker in each hand... deadly (to the firer that is). Charging with the South Essex - actually watching Sharpe - you could probably get away with 20 figures a time...
I play Savage worlds, havent tried Gloire so cant comment, but some friends swear by it...
I like the firing in Savage worlds, and the fact the big baddies are wil;d cards basically have multiple wounds AKA Sharpe and HArper the rest are extras AKA the south Essex. A basic extra's job as in the films is to die...The Wild cards can take a whole load of punishment before passing out.  There arent huge amounts of rules to wade through for firing and you get different edges to help your character... Musketeer allows you to reload speedily and Marksman allows you a +2 to hit roll.

We are playing Pirates at the minute and it is jolly good fun (well apart from the fact that Fanhard has somehow started a war) We are roleplaying it at the moment, but the rules work just as well for figure combat.

Hope this all makes sense....
I am a bit hooked on savage worldds at the moment but am going to spend my hard earned pocket money on the VAlley of the Thunder lizard - to help with my pulp game I will soon be running. :love:

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:38:24 PM »
Richard Clarke and his merry band that make up TheTwoFatLardies are currently working on a Napoleonic skirmish system called Sharp Practice.
I like Richard's approach to rules which is always innovative, so this one should be very interesting.
Pat

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 01:07:20 AM »
Athough it's a Fantasy version of the Napoeonic war the Flintloque rules might work well for small scale skirmish.  They have lots of scenarios floating about, even some specific for a Sharpe type character.

http://www.alternative-armies.com/5020R_Flintloque_Reloaded.htm

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »
Durhams chosen men done a sharp based set of rules at Skirmish level using Perries 40mm figures.    I have the rules here I could email you if interested.  Unfortunately I cant find a link for them anymore but am happy to email them.
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline skirmishman

• Assistant
Sharpe for skirmish
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:13 AM »
Good morning evryone as far as skirmish rules here are my ideas .Fire and steel,for slightly larger games Brother against brother ,Yes I know its ACW but can be used for other periods and places.Example Mxamillian adventure.