Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:50:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Liberators Vs Sinister Syndicate: Pulp Alley report  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
Liberators Vs Sinister Syndicate: Pulp Alley report
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I was able to sneak in a few games of Pulp Alley last week and did up a little report of one of our games on my blog. Feel free to check it out.

http://basementmotive.blogspot.ca/2013/03/pulp-alley-liberators-vs-sinister.html

Here are a few pics of the game.

Cheers,

Tenz

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Liberators Vs Sinister Syndicate: Pulp Alley report
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
Fantastic battle report, fantastic terrain! I really like how you guys laid out the underground section. Don't be surprised if you see this idea in one of our scenarios!    :-*

I see you posted the scenario you won, does that mean Jet is writing up the one he won?  lol

THANKS

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
Fantastic battle report, fantastic terrain! I really like how you guys laid out the underground section. Don't be surprised if you see this idea in one of our scenarios!    :-*

I see you posted the scenario you won, does that mean Jet is writing up the one he won?  lol

THANKS

It was purely coincidence!! Honest hahaha

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:38 AM »
Sweet looking game.
Excellent write up.
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Awesome write up and your terrain looks amazing! :D

How did you do the underground part of the terrain?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:04:31 PM by Wolf Girl »

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Awesome write up and your terrain looks amazing! :D

How did you do the underground part of the terrain?

Thanks! The terrain props belongs to Jet as he hosted on this night. Before we got into Pulp Alley we heavily played Chaos in Carpathia which takes place in a Gothic Horror setting. It was easy for use to transition the gap from CiC to PA with our already created terrain as there are objectives etc in CiC, which in turn we could use as plot points. But I digress.

The underground bits we used for CiC, basically what Jet did was take a building and measure it. He then cut 8th inch mdf to be two-thirds large then the actual building. He painted them and voila, interior templates. Then he cut some to diffeent lengths for hallways etc.  He then filled them will terrain from the old Hero's Quest game and other sources. Makes for some great fun.

Our last game we had the doors as perilous but we found it bogged down the game a bit. We wanted it to represent that the door may have been locked and what happened to the character when they tried to open it. Maybe less doors will fix this next time or maybe just the windows would be perilous.

Tenz

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »
The off-table interiors idea came to me back in the beginning of my Chaos in Carpathia days. I liked the idea of minis moving through buildings and underground in crypts and so on. However, I've never been a fan of buildings with fully-modeled interiors on the table. The big problem I find is, table-top buildings are usually (and necessarily) out of scale with the models and the rest of the table. So, when you lift the roof off of an Inn, there's only enough room inside for three beds and a table. When I made my interiors, I measured the corresponding building's footprint and increased the interior floor size by a third. After that, I started making loose pieces for underground settings and, along with my collection of furniture, it made for a very "full" games table where characters can really interact with the setting.

In Pulp Alley, I find that terrain isn't as mechanically integral to the game (which is a good thing), so even a small one or two-room crypt under a 3x3 table would be plenty to add something to the game. We are planning on making either an arctic or a desert terrain set. In either case, the underground tiles could be used to represent crypts, ruins, or the forgotten bastions or lost or alien civilizations.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
... I liked the idea of minis moving through buildings and underground in crypts and so on. However, I've never been a fan of buildings with fully-modeled interiors on the table. The big problem I find is, table-top buildings are usually (and necessarily) out of scale...

I think you've found a good solution. I also like the idea of having a second layer to maneuver around the table, and then pop up at different areas.  :D

THANKS