Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules  (Read 105263 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 03:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Overlord, appreciated.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
An opinion:

I think everyone should keep in mind that the competition is not about finding the most clever way to bend the rules. It is  a part of the competition is to conform to the rules stipulated by the LPL runners. While I am sure that is not the intention of those posting rule questions to find a loop hole to squeeze in whatever odd miniatures one might have in the Lead Pile, it can be a bit tiresome for those organizing it to define all nitty gritty detail of the rules. In short, lets make this as a pleasant experience for Overlord as it is for ourselves.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »

Maybe something got lost in translation but a "HQ group" could be, in fact, a "command group"? It doesn’t need to be Patton, Monty, Caesar or Napoleon right? :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
Yes, any HQ/headquarters/command group.  Anything from a general and his staff to a platoon leaders section as long as they generally represent some form of command. They should be mostly different to the rank and file troops; Officers, standard bearers, drummers, buglers, radio operators, etc.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Thanks Overlord. I wasn't sure at first but it's clear now 8)

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:09 AM »
Just a quick civil war question.

I have a load of ECW models, but I use them in a fantasy setting, and to complicate it more I am basing the painting schemes on the armies in the Stromrider book by David Gemmel.

So my question is, if I am to have a fantasy element in my ECW submission. Such as King Charles the first on a pegasus leading his pistol wielding light cavalry against a troop of Cuirassiers on barded war horses be acceptable?

Or should I just do Pikemen vs Muskets?

Looking forward already, just need to pick my teams!

Sorry a miss type there I meant paint my teams!!
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
So my question is, if I am to have a fantasy element in my ECW submission. Such as King Charles the first on a pegasus leading his pistol wielding light cavalry against a troop of Cuirassiers on barded war horses be acceptable?

No.

Overlord is out of contact for a couple of days whilst travelling, so allow me to clarify...

The theme 'civil war' is principally intended to mean historical civil wars - of which there are lots and lots and lots of examples, from endless Roman civil wars, via ECW, ACW, RCW, SCW, dozens of other CWs, right up to Syria in 2013. YOU HAVE ENDLESS CHOICE!!!!

If you are a fantasy / sci-fi gamer and you really cannot bring yourself to paint a few historical figures, then you can use fantasy or sci-fi figures to represent a fantasy or sci-fi civil war portrayed in any well-known fantasy or sci-fi book or movie.

Saying 'I have two lots of orcs therefore I am going to portray an orc civil war', is not in the spirit of the theme, the intent of which is abundantly clear.
Saying 'I have an obscure GW codex from 1989 which talks about a war between lesser spotted space marines and greater striped space marines', is not portraying a well-known fantasy or sci-fi book or movie, and is not in the spirit of the theme, the intent of which is abundantly clear.
Saying 'I have a Russian Civil War entry, but some of them are VSF automatons and some of them are riding wargs' means it is not portraying the Russian Civil War, and is not in the spirit of the theme, the intent of which is abundantly clear.

We have this every time with the LPL, and it's frankly annoying.
It's pretty clear what's meant by the theme 'civil war'. If you want to hunt down the theme bonus points, just paint a team which is 'civil war' themed in a very obvious way, and don't try to find obscure ways of skating around the theme.
Please let's not make this more difficult than it needs to be.

Thank you for your consideration  :-I
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:04:49 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
An opinion:

I think everyone should keep in mind that the competition is not about finding the most clever way to bend the rules. It is  a part of the competition is to conform to the rules stipulated by the LPL runners. While I am sure that is not the intention of those posting rule questions to find a loop hole to squeeze in whatever odd miniatures one might have in the Lead Pile, it can be a bit tiresome for those organizing it to define all nitty gritty detail of the rules. In short, lets make this as a pleasant experience for Overlord as it is for ourselves.
Yes, please don't ask questions about the rules in this rules questions thread...  ::) Hammers might fall off his towering equine steed.  ;D

Joking aside, wouldn't it be easier for everybody if we disallowed any and all fictional civil wars? All of a sudden we have space marines blasting space marines and a big leman russ in the back. A bit farfetched for a civil war, isn't it? I think it's been ages since we had a theme which was purely historical. It's all the same to me, just making a li'l suggestion. Sorry Pil.  :? ;)

And in response to Cpt Blood, having the old inventory of the forums go all huffy every LPL is also wearing a bit thin - it happens every year. Most people aren't trying to cash in on easy bonus points, they want to adapt themes to their ongoing projects or collections. Often this is because hobby time is limited and painting 10-15 minis "just for fun" is more or less unthinkable for many of us. Hence the shoe horning.

I think it's interesting to see what people can make of a theme. It's far more interesting to see the theme applied to something unexpected (like an ECW submission with a pegasus-riding king) than to see beautifully painted ACW minis. I also think it in a way is more creative. Then again, it opens up for a lot of far fetched interpretations (as you mentioned, space marines vs space marines) so it would be much better if we limited the theme as suggested above - or a Star Wars entry would be fully acceptable (it is, after all, a period of civil war).

So - in conclusion. Play nice, folks! :)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Most people aren't trying to cash in on easy bonus points, they want to adapt themes to their ongoing projects or collections.

My apologies for any issues or upset caused. It was a genuine questions. My ECW army has a fantastic element to it and I was checking to see if that was an acceptable application of the rules. I see it isn't, and therefore can easily use some of the less fantasy themed models under their original purpose as ECW models which will fit in the theme.

Exactly as Phreedh put it, I am looking to adapt my projects to fit the theme, not trying to be overly clever and sneak something through just to get bonus points.

My apologies again.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
No need to apologise. We just want to keep things simple please.

And in response to Cpt Blood, having the old inventory of the forums go all huffy every LPL is also wearing a bit thin - it happens every year. Most people aren't trying to cash in on easy bonus points, they want to adapt themes to their ongoing projects or collections. Often this is because hobby time is limited and painting 10-15 minis "just for fun" is more or less unthinkable for many of us. Hence the shoe horning.

The intent of the theme is clear. People have a choice to either take part on those terms, or not. It's really a very simple thing and it's meant to be fun. If everyone stuck to the obvious intent of the theme, rather than trying to shoe-horn in things which don't fit with the theme, no huffing would be necessary.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
Whose huffing?! I for one was just looking for clarification rather than a way to game the system...isn't it better ask these questions now rather than getting bent out of shape when my Greater striped marines are not awarded the bonus points because I didn't get clarification?

I'm attempting to participate and have fun with the least amount of stress and added expense...I don't have many historical figures (sorry!)....so I'm trying to find out if I need to spend my limited hobby funds on figures that I won't use in a game anytime soon.  I'm willing to do that...because I love the LPL...but I was just trying to find out if I needed to. 

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
it's meant to be fun
Case in point. To ensure it's fun for everybody, questions have to be asked to avoid unwanted surprises, as Blue points out.

As a rule of thumb though, if you have to ask whether your team fits the theme or not, it's pretty safe to assume it doesn't.

I just want to see clearer definitions of the themes. I see no reason why one made up civil war is more ok than another. Leave all of them out and go with the spirit of the theme. Historical civil wars.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
We will have a think about Civil War Bonus round limitations and get back to you all with some clarifications on this.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
Appreciated. In certain other rules discussions I've found that usually things can only be declared "perfectly clear" if you pad it with "to me". Also "obvious intent" and "common sense" have a strange habit of coinciding with the person's own view but not that often with someone else's. So your common sense or mine? ;)

Regarding civil war, I think it's fairly obvious that if you don't set any restrictions, any group of soldiers or even civilians could be used to create a fictional civil war by giving them different coloured armbands or hats. On the other hand, only a list of known historical conflicts is kinda restrictive compared to certain other themes which have rewarded creativity and I've enjoyed observing the surprising results.

Pick something and I'll try to live with work my way around it. ;)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
There's always the Rutger Hauer option, paint what you like and say fuck the bonus  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.