Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules  (Read 105942 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
There's always the Rutger Hauer option, paint what you like and say fuck the bonus  ;)

That approach has its own appeal. In fact, if you spent the mandatory two week bonus theme faffing period on painting stuff instead, you could rack up more vote points than any bonus rounds would yield. lol

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
A Question for round 10. If I paint two groups of Firestorm Armada Ships, that should give me the bonus points for two opposing teams. But I wouldn't claim the extra points for a spaceship. Would it be OK to paint a space station or something similar large to get the points?
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
Joking aside, wouldn't it be easier for everybody if we disallowed any and all fictional civil wars? All of a sudden we have space marines blasting space marines and a big leman russ in the back. A bit farfetched for a civil war, isn't it? I think it's been ages since we had a theme which was purely historical. It's all the same to me, just making a li'l suggestion. Sorry Pil.  :? ;)

Very fair point. I don't think I'll be painting up my rogue trader space wombles in 'period' uniforms anyway. However, since GW have provided a wealth of background material in the form of books I was legitimately wondering where literature ends and also when a fantasy/sf war would be considered a civil war. Either way I'll wait on for the final ruling but I think I'll take the Rutger Hauer option (heheheh) for round 5. That said, round 10 is a walk in the park for me ;)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
There's always the Rutger Hauer option, paint what you like and say fuck the bonus  ;)

Harkening back to the first LPL, where the goal was to encourage one to paint their lead pile, and show the results, and there ended the rules...

At least that is how I remember it! ;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
Harkening back to the first LPL, where the goal was to encourage one to paint their lead pile, and show the results, and there ended the rules...

At least that is how I remember it! ;)

I am happy as can be, I won't need to buy anything for this LPL and I might even have a hard time choosing from what I have available for the bonus rounds :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 01:53:41 AM »
I am happy as can be, I won't need to buy anything for this LPL and I might even have a hard time choosing from what I have available for the bonus rounds :)

Yep,same for me...Too much stuff :D lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
good bits of the LPL -
1. Getting your arse into gear and painting some stuff that had been waiting ages in the leadpile
2. Even better -having the perfect excuse to justify buying more figures just to paint up for a particular round
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »
I thought that the idea of the LPL was to paint figures that you already have, to reduce your own unpainted lead mountain.  I will not be attempting to get bonus points for Civil War as I don't have any historical figures other than WWII.  :-I

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »
@Poliorketes
2 groups opposing groups of spaceships plus a large space station (or similar) would indeed meet the criteria.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:41 AM »
To everyone.

My intent with the bonus rounds is not to try and exclude entries.  I happen to believe that the themes have added to the contest over the years to produce some outstanding entries.  I do accept that they will sadly exclude some individuals fior various reasons.  The alternative is to have all 10 rounds as open.  That could be done, but personally I think the league would be the poorer for it.

I will clarify the criteria within the next 24 hours.  Thank you.

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
You're absolutely right about that, the themes sure add to it in my opinion. I see it as an extra that makes me think a little more about what I'm going to paint for the LPL. I won't go as far as to buy new miniatures for it, that I won't use in any games after, but I'll sure take another look at all the ones that I have. It makes for a nice change of pace I think.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:32 AM »
Important announcement

The theme for Round 5 has been amended slightly to 'Historical Civil War'.  This hopefully sets the boundaries of the theme more clearly.  I apologise for any inconvenience this might cause, but we are only a few days on from the initial announcement, and still approximately 2 months from the deadline for that round.

The rules on page 1 of this thread have been amended to reflect this.  Please read them carefully if you are unsure.

Thank you.

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
I have been musing a bit about my entry for round 5. Haven't decided yet, but I would like to know if any of these two following entries are in accordance with the theme:

- a south Vietnamese CIDG or Mike Force (clashing with VC/NVA)
- Russian cossacks in German service (clashing with USSR Russians)

Both would be 'indigs' fighting 'indigs', but not in a purely Civil War. Would these be okay? I in no way tend to stretch the rules, just exploring options that my own lead pile might provide :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
To everyone.

My intent with the bonus rounds is not to try and exclude entries. 

Important announcement

The theme for Round 5 has been amended slightly to 'Historical Civil War'.

Doesn't the first quote contradict the second? The theme seems to exclude much more now. And as I don't own any historical miniatures I can't score any bonus points  :? ?
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »
You have a choice of whether to pursue the theme points or not. I'm primarily a historical gamer, but in previous LPLs I've painted zombies, orcs, robots, Cthulhu creatures - all sorts of things I don't need and am never going to use - in order to win the extra bonus points. That's beacuse, in part at least, the idea of the LPL is to get people to paint different things outside their natural comfort zone. If people were only ever going to paint the same kind of things from the same kind of genres, there wouldn't be a huge amount of point in having theme bonus rounds. I understand that it's galling to have to spend money on a few figures that you will never use, but you can always sell them afterwards, and will almost certainly make a profit on painted figures  :)