Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690769
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules  (Read 106183 times)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
To be honest, LPL 6 rules thread ran for 16 pages. We haven't even reached half of that within a week (where as the LP6 one managed to grow to nine pages long after a couple of days).

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
The Vietnam example is ok, as it originated as an internal conflict into which other nations were drawn. Your entry would need to feature at least 5 Vietnamese on each side to qualify.

The second example is of a larger conflict (WW2) in which troops from the "same" country are on opposite sides.

Forgive my oversimplifications, I'm just applying limited knowledge with common sense.  :)

Thanks for the feedback on those two options. I'll probably go for the Vietnam entry in that round, but all might change if others miniatures get a hold of my attention :) Looking forward to this years LPL and all the eye-candy that will result from it 8)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

I'm having a pretty good idea of what I would like to paint. I think I can find some command figures in the lead pile and I'm sure I have plenty of ACW figures for round 5. I don't have Sci-fi figures right now but I will paint something historical for round 10...
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »
...for my first entry I plan a couple of spies going through a mission brief with a head honcho pointing out the mission objectives. Would that suffice for a HQ? :) Or are we talking "War HQ" and not such things as a Gangster boss and his posse etc?

The team should represent some form of command element, distinct from the rank and file troops of a force or army.  Examples might be; Napoleons and Generals, Platoon CO with 2IC, Radio Op & runners, etc.  While some miniatures might well be from the massed ranks, it should be obvious that the group performs a command function.

With both the spy and gangster examples the majority (up to all) of the group should obviously fullfil some command function.

Whilst the Godfather and 4 Capos technically meet the requirement, their general appearance is unlikely to be any different to that of the rest of any criminal gang.  Although an entry might not be military in nature, being so does make the distinction somewhat easier for all concerned.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:22 AM »
Thank you, Overlord :)

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
For historical civil war, do uniforms have to be from a recognised regiment, and do we have to reference that regiment?
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
More a verification than a question - I know you can't enter teams that have been painted and published alsewhere previously.

I'm sure I've seen it written somewhere that it was ok if pics had been published of minis that had only been primed, but couldn't see any reference to this in this season's rules.

Sorry if its staring me in the face but thought I'd check before trying to enter some minis that have featured recently on my blog in a primed state.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:44 AM »
For historical civil war, do uniforms have to be from a recognised regiment, and do we have to reference that regiment?
No. You are free to depict "generic" troops. For example; 5 Confederates and/or 5 Union troops. By all means paint specific units if you wish.

I'm sure I've seen it written somewhere that it was ok if pics had been published of minis that had only been primed, but couldn't see any reference to this in this season's rules.

Sorry if its staring me in the face but thought I'd check before trying to enter some minis that have featured recently on my blog in a primed state.
Under Entries
You are NOT allowed to post pictures of your team elsewhere on the LAF while the team is active in the LPL. You may do so only after that particular team has ceased competing.

It is preferable that you post no images of your entry until the end of the round in which they are entered.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
It is preferable that you post no images of your entry until the end of the round in which they are entered.

I don't think that's the answer Thantsants was after. He wants to know if he could have published pics of his unpainted, but undercoated or primed entries anywhere on the net in the past and still could enter them (painted!) in the LPL. I remember from previous seasons that it would be ok to do so.

But I have another question that should be clarified: would it be possible to create small vignettes with the miniatures, or do they have to be single based? For example: a command group of four napoleonic line infantry figures could be glued to one stand as a vignette, instead of four single based miniatures. Would this be ok? There are so many rules systems now avoiding single based miniatures that I would advocate this.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
I don't think that's the answer Thantsants was after. He wants to know if he could have published pics of his unpainted, but undercoated or primed entries anywhere on the net in the past and still could enter them (painted!) in the LPL. I remember from previous seasons that it would be ok to do so.

Yes, that's okay.
It's actually okay to enter figures that have been previously published online in a finished painted state - but in that case the entrant wouldn't get 'new team' bonus points for them, because they were not newly painted for the LPL.

But I have another question that should be clarified: would it be possible to create small vignettes with the miniatures, or do they have to be single based? For example: a command group of four napoleonic line infantry figures could be glued to one stand as a vignette, instead of four single based miniatures. Would this be ok? There are so many rules systems now avoiding single based miniatures that I would advocate this.

Michael, that's fine. The rules state that all five or more figures in a 'team' have to be based. But there's no requirement for them to be individually based. So five or more figures on an impetus-style vignette base would certainly qualify as a valid team.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
The second example is of a larger conflict (WW2) in which troops from the "same" country are on opposite sides.

Forgive my oversimplifications, I'm just applying limited knowledge with common sense.  :)
Haha, having recently written an essay on this I'd dispute your interpretation, especially as regards the Vlasov Movement et al. It is a tricky one, however.

All wars between men are civil wars. Peace, man.  ;)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
Haha, having recently written an essay on this I'd dispute your interpretation, especially as regards the Vlasov Movement et al. It is a tricky one, however.

All wars between men are civil wars. Peace, man.  ;)

Friggin hippy.... lol

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Shit, I have to sit this one out :( Severe real life changes will affect my output. Although I've finished four teams, I can't see myself forcing people to watch the same stuff over and over again. But I hope to do number 10 anyhow and show off at another time.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:46 AM »
Thinking about entering for the first time ever. I am a dreadfully slow painter though. I do have a lot of ships to paint though.

Q1: [?]
I noted that the rules allowed such things as ships and tanks to be considered as 'figures' for purposes of the LPL. But can the requirement to base them be waived?

[The ships I'm needing to paint are waterline models, the game they are intended for does not require bases, and it both plays and looks better if ships are not based but simply sit flat on the tabletop sea board.]

Q2: [?]
A temporary display base is feasible and doable: would a temporary base built for solely for the photo op be allowable?

[Basically, this would amount to a micro-sized sea board...]
Pendrake

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
As far as I know unbased vehicles have always been accepted (whether cars or ships or whatever). It's just that if a model has a base, the base needs to be finished 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins