Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All Quiet on the Martian Front  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
Re: All Quiet on the Martian Front
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »
My initial interest has been severely muted by what i've seen.

A few points:

1.  Basically looking at the WH40K writing team there.  So i anticipate the rules will be derivative of the (pretty uninspired) basic mechanics there.

2.  The models, while pre-production are pretty sub-par and uninspired.  If it's set in the US, why use British vehicles for inspiration?  At least try to do something new surely?  I mean we've just seem Dystopian Legions set the bar high...

3.  Its set in America.   >:( >:( >:(  Dagnabbit, why does it always have to be in America.  Just once, i'd like to see a War of the Worlds inspired Martian invasion film/book/game/thing actually take place in Britain in the late-1800's, where it belongs.   :-[

I'll continue to watch this with interest but if it continues in the current vein i can't see me buying in... :(
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
2.  The models, while pre-production are pretty sub-par and uninspired.  If it's set in the US, why use British vehicles for inspiration?  At least try to do something new surely?  

To be fair I'm not concerned that the designs look like British Mk IVs etc, provided they keep the designs sensible.
After all, Spielberg & Lucas used the Mk VIII as a starting point for Indiana Jones, and the Jawa sandcawler looks as though it may have been inspired by the A7V.

There are plenty of odd looking designs - the French St Chamond or the Fiat 2000 look bizarre enough to be science fiction, or there is the big-wheel Tsar tank.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
Two things to say:-

- wrong scale for me – unfortunately.

- but love the name of the main battle tanks “Baldwin” for some reason!!  :D

Blodwin

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
I like the look of this, in spite of some misgivings about the setting. 15mm isn't my favourite scale but it does work better for the big battles gaming.

The martian stuff might be handy for 28mm strange as well.

workerBee

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
<snip>

3.  Its set in America.   >:( >:( >:(  Dagnabbit, why does it always have to be in America.  Just once, i'd like to see a War of the Worlds inspired Martian invasion film/book/game/thing actually take place in Britain in the late-1800's, where it belongs.   :-[

<snip>

lol

I recently was just 'found guilty' of complaining that EOTD was set in London on the basis of "Why does so much VSF/Gothic Horror stuff seem to be set in London/centered on Britain?" The answer to the VSF part of the whine was that originally the most common VSF common trooper conversions were from the Zulu War Brits (Ral Partha?) of the day.

That said, I feel your pain in that.  Maybe it is set there  because there are such wide geographical possibilities for game scenarios?

Guess I will have to read the official explanation post I have not checked yet...

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
<snip>

I apologise for putting your catchphrase into quotation marks, I will admit, that was me being a knob.

Well, my original post wasn't a "shining moment" for me so if you will just write it off as a bad day for me I would appreciate that.

Apologies for a post that, while releasing my frustrations, didn't contribute positively to the discussion.

Unlike e-mail there is no "save draft for 24 hours and think about it" mode for forums.

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »
My thoughts on their reply?
I referred to the Mk IVs at Bovington purely because I'm aware of how cramped they are (even with petrol engines).
I also saw that the second invasion begins at the end of 1908, a few months after Model Ts started to come off the Michigan lines.
America already had armoured cars, although only fitted with bullet-proof shields, in 190, the Davidson from Illinois.
Since both Model Ts and Davidsons are petrol-driven it seems illogical to propose coal-power as a superior alternative.
Even the Belgians had armoured cars by 1912 (the Minerva) although the Belgian army in 1914 still had machine-guns on carts pulled by dogs.
For steam power I would suggest some variant of armoured train, perhaps HG Wells Land Ironclads (1903) - a 100 foot long vehicle.
But looking forward to hearing/seeing more

Yeah, I would have thought a US based scenario would have been more oil oriented but that may be my born in 1950 and growing up with 'cars as the main mode of movement in Southern California' effect.  Cultural blinders thing...

Not sure about how the gasoline versus steam car debate was in 1908.  A car fanatic friend says it could have gone either way if not for the mass production by Ford and others.

The USA had learned a lot in the ACW about strategic movement of troops and supplies with trains (and by 1864 raiding to destroy railroad tracks were being effectively neutralized by the Union repair workers so the Martians spending resources to cut those lines might have been cost ineffective in the early 1900's)  so the armored train for supporting offensive operations might have been viable.  Of course the Martians might not have chosen to cooperate with those plans.  Smart enemies don't play to your strengths.  So Steam trains might have still been optimal for some scenarios.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »
It may be set in the US but by the look of the minis, they could be Brits just as well.

The vehicles seem a bit modern, but nothing a little converting couldn't fix.

The Martians... ahhh the Martians.  ;D :-* ;D