Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:32:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689763
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monsterpocalypse: a couple of questions  (Read 1500 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Monsterpocalypse: a couple of questions
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
If this is the wrong section I apologies and mods please move it!

Some people on here may know that I work in a kids home, and may have seen my thread on that naughty, naughty god forbidden place called frothers and even donated some unwanted miniatures (thank you :)).

Due to a change in clientele I am a little reluctant to take miniatures in that I have spent time building and painting and risk them getting broken. I wouldn't see this as their fault by my own for not gauging the risk well enough.

Instead I have recently been looking at alternatives. We already have the DnD boardgame which has been quite a success and recently I have been drawn towards Privateer Press' Monsterpocalypse.

Has anyone on here played it? Can you share your opinion on it, as in is it a good game? Can you make stats for your own units or is it strictly only for those it comes with.

I ask because I thought that if the rules were ok I could form small forces with in scale alternatives (5mm?). Perhaps even using some of the kid's toys?

Anyway thanks for the advice and help in advance. :)
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Monsterpocalypse: a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
Monsterpocalypse is more like a collectible card game then a traditional miniature game. There is a distinct metagame in how the different units work together and building the best "deck" is a large part of the game. Ergo, there are no unit creation rules.

The game is also more complicated then you might think, its dice switching mechanic for activations is easy enough as are the standard attack rules however there are hundreds upon hundreds of special rules and almost every unit has a few only indicated with a small icon upon its base. Get ready to switch to your quick reference a lot before you know all of your units.

Lastly, a few months ago I was trying to fill out my collection to a level where basic play would be interesting and I found I had a hard time getting my hands on anything for the game. Might be stock was running low and it has been replaced by now but I dont think so. (please inform me if I am wrong)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Have you considered using any of the clix or DnD prepaints for games?

Heroclix is a very nice self contained game that would not require a huge expenditure to get started. A couple of figs a side and a couple of playmats/maps. I'm sure there are even people here who would have some tat lying around you would be able to use.

With the amount of super hero movies on the go it would be easy to capture the imagination. It could get quite complicated by adding in a lot of the other rules but you wouldnt have to do that.

Just my two pence.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
Wayland games have some stock in their clearance section.

To be honest it sounds far too complicated for what I wanted to do with it. And overall the lack of response on here and elsewhere to questions suggests to me that there are not many people that play it which suggests it isn't really that great a game.

I shall look for something else instead.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
Like I said, its not so much a wargame as a deck building game. There are only so many maps for it, which are pretty much "sanctioned" so custom tables you wont find. And repainting the miniatures is pretty unheard of unless your using them for some other game.

I think you might be right in thinking its not what your looking for.