Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mummy vs the Yeti part 2  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
The Mummy vs the Yeti part 2
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:01 AM »
Furious that the Tong had stolen the Amulet of Isis, when he was so close to obtaining it, Akhenaton tracked the Tong to their hideout in a warfside warehouse. With Sairah recovering in the care of her father, Akhenaton resurrected another mummy (the Priestess Haptet) and brought Ambullah, his Nubian Guard for support.

Meanwhile, Scotland yard had tracked the Tong to the same location, looking to make some arrests over the theft of egyptian artifacts from a British Museum transport truck. Spying Boxer musket men standing watch in the upper floors of the warehouse, the constables took cover in a nearby Pub, while the Chief inspector commandeered some transport.

This was enough of a distraction for the Servants of Ra to approach the Warehouse. Haptet dispatched the tong guard by hurling him off the wharf, and as Ambullah prepared to hack open to main doors with his axe, they were smashed aside by a raging yeti. Despite their combined efforts, Akhenaton and Ambullah could not get past the Yeti's blockade. In fact wounding it just made it angrier.

Little did they know that the Lady Pink Lotus was using the Yeti to hold back her enemy, while she escaped from a back entrance, staright into the waiting clutches of Scotland Yard. Her venemous claws took down a Sergent, but Pluck stalled the game at this point. Unable to overcome the endless invulnerable saves that Pluck allows main chaacters, all sides gave up due to lack of time, determined to find a system that didn't always end up in locked stalemates of heroes.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: The Mummy vs the Yeti part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:50 AM »
Very cool!
I love the terrain and miniatures.

But why can't the Yetis and Mummies just be friends?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »
but Pluck stalled the game at this point. Unable to overcome the endless invulnerable saves that Pluck allows main chaacters, all sides gave up due to lack of time, determined to find a system that didn't always end up in locked stalemates of heroes.

That's my big issue with this game, it's too easy for that to happen. One thing I would suggest is always play to a scenario, either from the book or make one up. Straight up mosh fights just bog down and the game plays much better as a narrative.

The cult of Ra is probably best able to deal with this though. Akhenaton supported by the professor with the Venom power is hitting people with a -3 Pluck modifier. Trust me, that's usually enough to take down any hero in a couple of rounds of combat.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:21:16 AM »
We always do play a narrative scenario. However, as the last two scenarios have both involved rival bands hunting for artifacts, it often ends up with Akhenaton and his armour 13 2+pluck, vs Beserk Yetis and Waterbullet proof fanatic tong. Statisically hard to deal with. I'm thinking of doing some conversion to  the Legends of the old west system that we use for most of our pulp games, with pluck being replaced with fortune points (spent on 4+ saving throw rolls). It has always been simpler and worked better for narrative play.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
Nice terrain.

For the pluck issue, we were experimenting with the idea of cumulative pluck modifiers.  ie -1 for ever round of combat, -1 for every other figure you are fighting etc.  So a character on character fight will eventually be decided and mobbing a character affects both the ability to defeat the armor and the ability to defeat the pluck.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
Yes, we did something similar with mob attacks and volley fire, included the pluck modifiers of all weapons involved. It'd probably be simpler to play it as +1 to shoot /fight for each extra attacker followed by -1 pluck for each extra attacker (so 3 models mobbing a characters get +2 to hit and the target gets -2 pluck).

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:01 AM »
We've found the same problems in our games. I'm working on some house rules for IHMN, some of which will address the issue you describe. I'll post more about them in another post, but the changes I am suggesting relating to this issue are :
Autokill : A hit roll that exceeds the target number by five or more automatically kills the target – they do not get the normal pluck saving roll.
Knock Downs : When a figure passes (i.e. equals or exceeds) a pluck saving throw, it is knocked down.  If a Knocked Down figures successfully passes its pluck roll to stand up in the movement phase, it may do nothing else that phase (i.e. it may not move or shoot).

The combination of these should make it easier to kill characters with low pluck scores.

Great looking game btw.

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
Lovely board mister! All the figures look nice but the yeti is my favourite paint job, never properly warmed to the figure but I think you have made me want one now.

Nice authentic Ripper street colours on the cops too.

J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog