Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA or DUX? Which would be best for Fantasy warbands?  (Read 7680 times)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: SAGA or DUX? Which would be best for Fantasy warbands?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
It would be easy to play with SAGA and switch over to the DUX campaign rules.

I prefer DUX and Sharp Practice personally, i like the fate cards and the concentration on leaders. I have thought of using magic in DUX to reduce shock and as a missile weapon, give protection and re-rolls...

I have given SAGA a little go (two games) but wasn't as keen on it.

Hope this helps.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
??? ??? ???

Darrell.

That would be God of Battles.  I picked them up and had a read through - it seems quite simple and intuitive.  I kinda like how the movement mechanics simplify wheeling and turning.  It seems like it is ideally suited for slightly larger armies than SAGA - I would guess around 50-60 models per side in an average game?  Though I am sure it scales down easily enough.  Fixed unit sizes range from about 8-16 models per unit if I remember correctly.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
That would be God of Battles.  I picked them up and had a read through - it seems quite simple and intuitive.  I kinda like how the movement mechanics simplify wheeling and turning.  It seems like it is ideally suited for slightly larger armies than SAGA - I would guess around 50-60 models per side in an average game?  Though I am sure it scales down easily enough.  Fixed unit sizes range from about 8-16 models per unit if I remember correctly.

Ah right! For a minute there I thought I'd missed a Dark Age skirmish game that Foundry had produced of late  o_o.

Darrell.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:18 PM »
Has anyone here heard of and tried HAVOC? From my reading of the rules this could be a strong contender and needs no adaptation for either fantasy or historical skirmish games

A new one to me, mate.
May have to check that out, but SAGA is begining to call to me.

Mason, I tried to find a pseudo-historical large skirmish set for high-medieval fantasy recently and was surprised by how few sets were out there that weren't tied to a very specific background (eg Fanticide). I wanted a game that would allow me about thirty figures a side (maybe rising to fifty as I get some painting done  lol ::)), with some heroes and a touch of magic - much like it sounds you're after!

It seems we are after the same thing, Mister Rab.
I thinkl the magic that I need would be so slight thatthe SAGA battle boards could well reflect it with a little work.
 ;)
As for Sharp Practice, I will get a taste of that at Salute, slightly modified, so will see what I think then.

It would be easy to play with SAGA and switch over to the DUX campaign rules.
Hope this helps.

That sounds viable, max.
May have to look into that in the future.

God of Battles does not sound like the sort of thing that I am after.
I think I will dip my toe in the SAGA pool first and see how the water is.

Thanks for the help and advice, chaps.
Much appreciated.
 :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:01 PM »
As for Sharp Practice, I will get a taste of that at Salute, slightly modified, so will see what I think then.

slightly modified? we gonna have some fun on Saturday lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
slightly modified? we gonna have some fun on Saturday lol

Now I am scared!
 :o

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
We're doing much the same here in Lincoln; working on Oldhammer armies but getting started with skirmishing to keep the inspiration up!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »
Paul
Rich Jones was woking on a fantasy add on for Saga & there's a Fantasy thread on the Saga Forum:
http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/the-laboratory-f13.html

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »
Paul
Rich Jones was woking on a fantasy add on for Saga & there's a Fantasy thread on the Saga Forum:
http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/the-laboratory-f13.html

Thanks, Keith!

I have had a nose about and found the link to Frank's LotR battle boards.
They have been bookmarked for future reference.
They have a fair bit of PJ influence, but are easily modified if there is something not to taste.
 :D

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
While I simply love the Dux Brittaniarum game - playing it almost weekly for the last several months- It wouldn't be very suitable for a fantasy based system.

As may have already said, SAGA on the other hand could offer you anything you want. If you're not too keen on using the pre- made LoTR battleboards just make up your own and try to keep the abilities balanced. I'm almost convinced that with all the existing abilities on the pre made battleboards you could just pick whatever you need (perhaps give a more appropriate name) If you introduce  a homemade ability playtest it a few times first as in combination with other abilities it may become seriously overpowered or too easily countered.

But... Dux Brit isn't out of the picture. The campaign system would be almost perfect for what you need. Raids into enemy territory finally followed by 'regular' battles. You could even use the career paths provided by Dux to advance your leaders with a bit of tweaking.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »

Found this old thread and thought it was interesting... cause to myself I answered that question with "Saga"... and made a fantasy version of Saga.

I thought the people replying in this thread might still be around in this forum and find it interesting to see what my "team" and I have come up with...

Here you can find our thread in the fantasy section of the forum:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81709.0

So long!
Barb
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline DCallan

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 02:38:52 AM »
Which Dux?

Dux Britanniarum by Too Fat Lardies is a campaign system that allows Lord and noble character development as well as storyline over the course of your campaign.  As a result, it will take you longer to play the whole campaign where as SAGA is just a 1 game encounter.  Dux Britanniarum has Picts, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Romano-British and Vikings (Raider supplement I believe) much like SAGA without Romano-British.  If you are into character and storyline development over the course of your games than Dux Britanniarum over SAGA.

There is also Dux Bellorum by Osprey.  I donot know anything about that ruleset other than one exists.