Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My ATZ zombies project : 90 zeds Horde completed, 8 survivors completed  (Read 28346 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hi,

I recently bought All Thing ZOmbies miniature ruleset, and I'm currently building and painting the needed miniatures to play it.

I made the choice of 28mm plastic figures, wich is cheap and easily available, even in Europe.

I started the work with the zombie horde. It will be composed of about 60 zombie males (Studio Miniatures), around 30 zombie females (Wargames Factory), and a few crawlers (mix of both sets). So more or less an hundred zombies to paint.

I will not review again these really cool plastic sets (plenty of review are available), but I can say that I really like the price-quality ratio.

I plan to paint the horde in 3 stages (3x30 zeds, 20 males, 10 females), using speed technic technics. A zombie group should be painted in about 2 to 3 afternoons or evenings.

I made some trys concerning the paint scheme, and I found something between "fresh" and "plague". I will use that set of paints :

I started with a rough painting with olive drab, than a wet dry brush of graveyard earth, than an almost drybrush of kaki. Here's the result (just a sample of the 30 figures painted with same overall result) for now :

Tommorow I'll paint the 4th colour (dry brush again), and then I'll work on the clothes.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:48:43 PM by sundayhero »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Re: My ATZ zombies project W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:25 AM »
looking good, will be following with interest
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
Nice painting here and thanks for the how too and color choices. Its always good to mknow that :).
There stands jackson like a stonewall

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
I like the tones. I'm an old school grey-green man myself, but then, I am quite long in the tooth.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
Very nice!
I like the color and look forward to seeing more.

How do you like the ATZ rules?
I think they're a blast.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments !

Here's the current state of painting process. I almost finished the skintone work. I use the paints I described, and then I made a slight green wash and purple wash (from citadel washes range, diluted with water).

Then with dark red (scarlett red) I painted the wounds and stuff like that on the miniatures. I also painted bones in pure white.

Here's the current result.

Next stage will be a brown wash on white bones and bloody wounds, and a few fixes. I will probably add white or yellowish eyes too.

Then, a last red higlight on the scars and wounds. Once it will be done (tonight) I'll start painting the clothes. the goal is to paint a basic color + 1 highlight + 1 shade.

Concerning ATZ ruleset, honestly I just readed it in diagonal. I like to play my games with 100% minis painted, scenery and stuff. So I'm not too focused on rules for now (I just make a quick reading to see what is allowed or not concerning minis choice, and possible scenery).

to be continued !

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
Nice work on those zeds.
 8)

Watching with interest as I hope to paint a horde of my own.
One day.... :'(

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »
I like your painting technique for the Zeds :) Very quick and effective. If I ever paint another bath of plastic zombies I'll copy it.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks

Painting this way is fun, because you obtain results really fast. Of course, I'll never win any painting contest with these...But the overall horde effect will be there, and the gore zombie effect too.

I also wanted to make these immediatly recognizable on the table. So I used these muted paint tones, almost sepia. I will paint my survivors in a complete diferent way....A living way  lol

I made the last washes on the scars and wounds. Now I'm waiting it to dry so I can start to paint the clothes and hair.

Since it's already almost 10pm, I'll probably start working on hair. We'll see.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
Thanks

Painting this way is fun, because you obtain results really fast. Of course, I'll never win any painting contest with these...But the overall horde effect will be there, and the gore zombie effect too.

Yup; nothing worse than not making gains.

I love skin colour you've achieved here, I may well try and use something similar for the few zombies which I have!

Cheers
Andy

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »
thanks !

Tonight I painted some shirts (chain work), but tired of chain painting all day, I painted almost (except the shoes) completly one zed "to see what happens" (people chain painting -regiments, squads, boardgames- will know what I mean). In one word, I wanted to see how the skin color will work with all clothes and stuff.

(night saturated pics, you cannot see the shades on brass)

It works (imho) pretty well, but it's definitly too clean. The biggest challenge will be making a realistic weathering without giving a messy feeling.

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »
The brightness of the clothes really bring out the deadness of the skin - if you know what I mean. Its a great way of painting zombies, I look forward to seeing more.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
Yes, that's a working effect. But it's too clean : how can a not so fresh zombie keep it clothes clean ?  lol

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »
looks good now but will be super duper when dirtied up a bit

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
I did the weathering effects and finished the first batch of minis. Cannot say that is speed painting  lol I'll have to be faster next batch !

Now that I validated all process from main coats to weathering, it should be faster. I also have to see why my pics seems to be pixelized  ???