Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 280874 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: 27 December. P.67. Mountains finished!
« Reply #1035 on: January 02, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »
very nice terrain indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: January 02, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »
Excellent mountains and game Richard.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

The use of the theatre mouldings was inspired.  8)

@Peder:

That’s about it  :D

Elk101 called it Glalc because that’s what it is: glue and talc. I don’t actually use PVA (I never use PVA but Evo-Stik Extreme Wood Glue) though it’s like PVA and I often call it PVA.  To most people who have asked me ‘why use Glalc?’ I simply say ‘just try it’ (it’s a cheap experiment lol). For me, it adds an interesting irregularity to surfaces that might otherwise be flat (such as adobe walls from foam board). It also provides a hard skin that can help toughen up what might be fragile terrain pieces..

Btw I sometimes use talc with superglue as a filler/binder though that’s a far less pleasant experience (a glalc but not Glalc as named by Elk!)

Ah. I was under the impression from Richards post that the talcum powder did not create my ch texture but t any texture, just volume. I suppose it works a artists fine grade pummice medium. I still dont get wh you use both PVA glue *and* wood glue, but perhaps that is a missunderstanding. Anyhoo, I shall give it a go. I have both rock and mud walls to texture.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1037 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
Just to clarify as my terminology at times does seem to have caused confusion. Personally, I don’t use PVA *and* wood glue, I use a wood glue that’s like PVA (but dries watertight). I have complicated things by sometimes calling it PVA and sometimes calling it wood glue. This started because when I called it wood glue, there was a presumption that I meant the yellowing carpentery glue.  I am therefore the cause of any resultant misunderstanding. Apologies.   :D

I actually use Evo-Stik Exterior Grade Wood Glue, which is white but cures clear and comes in a blue bottle. It looks like PVA, but is watertight.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:48:11 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #1038 on: January 02, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Just to clarify as my terminology at times does seem to have caused confusion. Personally, I don’t use PVA *and* wood glue, I use a wood glue that’s like PVA (but dries watertight). I have complicated things by sometimes calling it PVA and sometimes calling it wood glue. This started because when I called it wood glue, there was a presumption that I meant the yellowing carpentery glue.  I am therefore the cause of any resultant misunderstanding. Apologies.   :D

I actually use Evo-Stik Exterior Grade Wood Glue, which is white but cures clear and comes in a blue bottle. It looks like PVA, but is watertight.

Glad we got that sorted out  lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1039 on: January 02, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »
Glad we got that sorted out  lol

I think I might reference it as ‘EVSEGWG (alt PVA)’  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1040 on: January 02, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
How many more are you thinking of doing? It’s kinda leaving you with an odd number of boards at the mo.

Cheers Andy  :)
I have two more of the 40mm x 600mm x 600mm green foam boards, so I guess I'll do two more. One will be a village board with some built-in buildings, and I may do one using a bit more of the rock-face moulding either side of a desert crossroads...

One thing, you say that the ABS rock face sheets are approx £20-does that include delivery? I can't work their website and to send an 8'x4' sheet seems remarkable value!

Yes, that's odd. I'm sure they used to have price lists on their site... Might be worth giving them a call?
I'm sure delivery was on top, and possibly around £30 a load if my memory serves. So - as you intimate - perhaps it's not such good value for a single sheet! (Unless you went to collect it).
To be fair, for theatrical use we ordinarily order 8 - 10 sheets of the stuff at a time. And IIRC it usually works out to around a couple of hundred quid per order including delivery. But I must admit, I normally just specify which texture we need and someone else orders it and sorts the invoices. I just help paint and weather it once the scenery is built.
But I'm pretty sure the ball park figure of around £20 a sheet for the actual material is about right...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1041 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
That new formation looks great. If naming Glalc is my lasting legacy to the LAF then fair enough!  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1042 on: January 02, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
There is obviously a point to use a brand of wood glue which is water redistsnt, once dry. Water based paint can sometimes make a mess of ”vanilla” PVA.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1043 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »
Richard, did you see that the Egyptians has signed a contract with the Disney corporation to place a theme park in El Alamein?

http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/3/41627/Matrouh-Governor-signs-contract-to-have-Disney-Land-in-Egypt

I don't know what to say about it really, other than it rattles me...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1044 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
How improbable!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1045 on: February 10, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
How improbable!

I dunno. I quite like the idea of ‘The Enchanted Minefield’, the aniamatronic Erwin von Duck and the Grant tank ride. The slit trench themed hotel doesn’t really appeal though.

Having just visited the Cu Chi tunnels, AKA the Disneyland of the Vietnam War, I can see the possibilities. I had a giggle at the bit in the tour where they feed you ‘authentic Viet Cong rations’ and my guide made a moue of distaste when they served up boiled cassava. ‘Yum’ said I ‘we eat this all the time in Brazil, it’s called aipim’.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:17:27 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #1046 on: February 10, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Commemorating a battle involving unwelcome foreign armies, who didn't even take their rubbish with them, does not provide employment and an economy boost for today's Egyptians.

Lovely collection Richard!  :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1047 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
Commemorating a battle involving unwelcome foreign armies, who didn't even take their rubbish with them, does not provide employment and an economy boost for today's Egyptians.

Lovely collection Richard!  :)

Indeed. There seems to be no suggestion that any such park would be on or near gravesites or even the battlefield itself so I can’t see the problem.

Battlefield themed fun parks does seem like a rich field.  Who wouldn’t enjoy  a High Seas Fleet themed resort where every Tuesday they shell Sunderland or better still, Cleethorpes?

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #1048 on: February 11, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
Stunning work Captain!! :-*

Christopher

Offline Erestor90

• Bookworm
« Reply #1049 on: March 01, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
Wow!

Your figures, vehicles and terrain are a great inspiration for my upcoming Afrikakorps unit.

Keep up the very good work.

Cheers!