Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689492
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 279677 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.71 - CMP 15Cwt truck finished!
« Reply #1095 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
Thanks fellows.

Can't be bothered with clear plastic windows, Rob - suspension of disbelief and all that... :D

Meanwhile, I've been doing some work on the sixth desert terrain board, which will give me a 1200mm x 1800mm table with a lot of built in flexibility :)

I decided to use another offcut piece of 1:1 scale theatrical/TV scenery ABS plastic rock face to form a rocky ridge - with the Renedra mud brick house (plastic kit) backed up against this rocky outcrop.

Things I learned...

My wife bought me a Bosch hot glue gun for Christmas. This is the first time I've used it in anger. Everyone should buy one of these. I've used them for years on stage scenery, but for some reason it never occurred to me to use it for wargames terrain modelling. Who knew? On my previous experiment sticking a piece of ABS moulding onto a foam slab sheet (see page 66 of this thread) I laboriously pinned and glued the moulding in place. The whole process took quite a time - and then I had to wait 24 hours for the glue (UHU POR) to go off.

The hot glue gun on the other hand took precisely 1 minute. It delivers a reliable stream of what is effectively piping hot molten plastic which sets rock hard in approximately 20 seconds. It sticks to foam but doesn't melt it. It sticks to plastic. (I stuck a bit of plastic to a bit of foam as a test and I literally couldn't pull them apart... Well, I did after a while, but it ripped a section of the foam substrata away with it). The other thing is that you can effectively use it as an instant gap filler. Bloody amazing.

The Renedra mud brick house on the other hand, is sorely disappointing. It's a nice looking building superficially - especially with the addition of the dome from the add-on extras kit. But it doesn't fit together well at all. I had to spend literally hours filling and filing all the joints with green stuff, PVA-and-talc gunk, and various other fillers to get rid of the myriad of all-too-obvious joins all over the bloody thing. Really a lot of extra work. Not good at all :(

Still... Now it's in position (hot glue gun!) and undercoated, I'm sure it'll look fine once painted and titivated.
I added a front courtyard (and an interior floor, since I chose not fit the door) made from some leftover paving slab sheet from the Renedra medieval tower kit.
I then added some pieces of broken down wall (pre-production resin samples from a forthcoming Kickstarter).
Then a slathering of lightweight wall filler to conceal all the joins between the rocky ridge, the foam slab and the house. I also used this to build up the groundwork behind the house, and to create pathways for infantry up onto the rocky outcrop.
Then, once dry, a liberal coating of gloop to cover the whole lot, with a top dressing of sand applied while the gloop was still wet, and then various areas of grit and talus to represent fallen rocks, scree, and broken down bits of wall...

Here are the WIP shots...

And undercoated with Halfords ultra-matt camo brown car spray...

Painting and tuftage to follow...

(PS. Chris - I haven't forgotten: I have a nice selection of offcuts for you - I just need to find a big enough box to send them now! ;))

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.74 - the 6th terrain board takes shape!
« Reply #1096 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Most excellent - very much  looking forward to seeing the painting and tufting  8) :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1097 on: April 20, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
The hot glue gun on the other hand took precisely 1 minute. It delivers a reliable stream of what is effectively piping hot molten plastic which sets rock hard in approximately 20 seconds. It sticks to foam but doesn't melt it. It sticks to plastic. (I stuck a bit of plastic to a bit of foam as a test and I literally couldn't pull them apart... Well, I did after a while, but it ripped a section of the foam substrata away with it). The other thing is that you can effectively use it as an instant gap filler. Bloody amazing.

Huh. I thought I knew my glue gun. It was some time since I used it on pink foam but as I recall it *did* melt it. Are you using a special formula glue stick? I know there are different kinds...

The Renedra mud brick house on the other hand, is sorely disappointing. It's a nice looking building superficially - especially with the addition of the dome from the add-on extras kit. But it doesn't fit together well at all. I had to spend literally hours filling and filing all the joints with green stuff, PVA-and-talc gunk, and various other fillers to get rid of the myriad of all-too-obvious joins all over the bloody thing. Really a lot of extra work. Not good at all :(

I second this. It is made of some *tough* effing plastic to, so the deburring process was hard work . I ended up using my Dremel and a rotating sanding drum. Sent quite a bit of plastic up my sinuses, it did.

The new board looks great already, Richard!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1098 on: April 29, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »
Huh. I thought I knew my glue gun. It was some time since I used it on pink foam but as I recall it *did* melt it. Are you using a special formula glue stick? I know there are different kinds...

Not as far as I know, Peder. Just regular glue sticks. Maybe the green foam is more resilient / denser than the pink?

Anyway, the sixth board is now finished...

And a few scenic shots with figures for scale...

Just to demonstrate that the ridge is negotiable by infantry from front and back...

And a bit of WW1...  :)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Oh Richard, what are we going to do with you....  ??? ??? ??? ??? Your fantastic creations is putting most of us (definitely me!) to shame.... :'( :'( :'( So keep up the great work, as you are inspirational! I love your set-up by the way... :-* :-* :-* Your Mrs must be very very understanding...either that or she doesn't want to see much of you and is happy to leave you be in your man-cave! Nice figure cabinets in the background!

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Very nice indeed! Got to look into one of those proper glue guns.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Outstanding Richard!!

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Top banana!

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Gorgeous terrain. :-* :-*

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Just lovely, I'm amazed at the quality of your work Richard it really is top drawer stuff :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Splendid work for a half blind man  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
Absolutely fantastic - composition, painting and foliage are just perfect! :-*

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Considering you didn't like that Rendra  house, it (and the rest of the board) has come out great! :o

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
That's ideal terrain, it looks great and is functional, offering players opportunities on the table top.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
That is amazing.