Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689538
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 279710 times)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Fantastic!  :-*
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Wow, that really is impressive. Lovely work.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
terrific  :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks lads :)

May I ask how you did the air recognition flag?

It's freehand - it did take a while ::)

The dust on the tracks also fab. Washes?

Yes. It's AK Interactive 'Africa Dust Effects' - you just slop it on (heavily thinned down with white spirit), and it settles to dry, dust-like, in all the cracks and crevices. It's really ridiculous easy to use, but looks very effective.

The Fliegersichttuch is a nice touch and works well as an eyecatcher. albeit being German it feels a little odd to see it on full display on a model kit. Certainly not your fault though, it‘s just a case of viewing habit.

Indeed. Obviously when LAF was owned and hosted in Germany, Nick, it would have been illegal to show here. I appreciate it's something that German modellers and wargamers still wouldn't expect to see.

Just my opinion...I know you love artistic license when doing stuff, which accounts for what great work you turn out. This time for me, these bits just distract from your final product. :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Rob :) There's certainly some artistic licence used in this model. That said, I did actually use WW2 photo references for the type and position of every single marking applied - except for the small insignia on the front and rear mudguards.
Of course, whether they'd all have been used together on the same vehicle is a different question :)
(You'll be pleased to know though, there were balkenkreuz in other positions I could have added, but left off!

The one on the front turret would be an aim spot for enemy gunners, so not sure about that one unless you have a photo reference of a crew that was just reckless.

I'm afraid to say that's an actual real thing... Here you go...

Also, the front stowage bits are a bit confusing to me. The spare wheels go elsewhere (on the side or sometimes at the back) but not obscuring the front vision ports.

Well the vision ports are actually clear :)
Although there were plenty of other places spare roadwheels could / should be carried (which differed a lot on different Pz IV variants), it was fairly common practice on both Panzer IIIs and IVs to use the spare track section stored on the lower front hull of the tank as a kind of carrying basket for spare roadwheels. See pics below.
I guess it provided a lot of extra solid protection against armour-penetrating enemy fire.

Also, the jerry can is just asking for trouble, as since you don't have it painted with a white cross it would be for petrol, and if hit in combat would be a molotov type explosion on the tank.

Ah but Rob, who's to say that jerry can is full? ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Not a comment on placement of jerry cans, miniature or historical but from the POV of the physics of the thing, an empty or part empty jerry can is potentially more problematic than a full one. Petrol vapour is a more explosive proposition than petrol itself. Just sayin... :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Just paint a white cross on it & he will be happy.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
lol

If an armour-piercing shell hit the front glacis thereabouts, an empty jerry can with some fumes would be the least of the tank crew's problems ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
That last one has a length of track across the view ports!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Yes, I noticed that. Presumably the driver peeked through the gaps in the track links. He probably sacrificed visibility in favour of protection!

Note in the same photo, the Swastika flag for air recognition draped over the aft upper hull on the second Panzer III. (Just to prove it was an actual thing, not just a wargamer's fancy... )

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I've never known so much attention being paid to stowage! If that's the biggest criticism I would take it if I had a model as lovely as that.

Maybe the jerry can was filled with water?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
I've never known so much attention being paid to stowage! If that's the biggest criticism I would take it if I had a model as lovely as that.

Some people call it 'baggage', mate.
 ;) ;)

Maybe the jerry can was filled with water?

Or beer!
 :D

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Some people call it 'baggage', mate.
 ;) ;)

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Richard, please don't get me wrong, as you know I really love your creations/work!

(You'll be pleased to know though, there were balkenkreuz in other positions I could have added, but left off!

Do you mean you actually wanted to add more???  o_o o_o o_o o_o lol lol lol lol

So what's next, more German stuff???

Keep up the great work! It is definitely inspiring!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I didn’t get you wrong at all, Rob. Constructive criticism is a gift. When posting one’s handiwork, you expect to get all sorts of comments. It’s nice to get plaudits, of course. It’s also useful to hear more critical views. I hope I answered your points to your satisfaction ;)

I’m torn between the new Rubicon Kettenkrad kit and the new Rubicon LRDG Chevy truck...  ::)

But I also have some vampires I really must do...  lol

Offline JOHN BOND

• Assistant
Lovely work  and great attention to detail
cheers John