Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 280488 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Merci beaucoup Lou - some lovely ideas there.
If Michael Perry gets round to some Tcherkess cavalry (what are they, some kind of bashi-bazouks?) and Druze, I would certainly be in for them  :)

Meanwhile...

Basic French tricoleur camo scheme, stage one. (It will look a great deal different after detailing, pin-washes, weathering, dust and decals... )

Bit of tidying up to do, but close enough?

(I've looked at about 100 different WW2 French patterns and colour schemes, and this is a kind of rudimentary synthesis of some of the most common ones - which I can best describe as bobbly brown and green worms on an ochre background... )

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Nice work as always :)

The Tchekess are what we call Circassians, sort of Caucasian Muslim cossacks if you like, but not actually cossacks, if that makes sense?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Nice work as always :)

The Tchekess are what we call Circassians, sort of Caucasian Muslim cossacks if you like, but not actually cossacks, if that makes sense?

Makes sense. Wikipedia have them as near neighbours of the Chechens...
Although I’m struggling to work out how the hell they ended up fighting for the French in Syria and the Levant. It’s got to be the best part of a thousand miles from Grozny to Beirut? They were a long way from home to be in the service of a foreign power... sounds like an interesting story there... much more Back of Beyond than WWII...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Makes sense. Wikipedia have them as near neighbours of the Chechens...
Although I’m struggling to work out how the hell they ended up fighting for the French in Syria and the Levant. It’s got to be the best part of a thousand miles from Grozny to Beirut? They were a long way from home to be in the service of a foreign power... sounds like an interesting story there... much more Back of Beyond than WWII...

I read up on them several years ago. From what I can remember they are in some kind of tragic diaspora in Jordan and Syria from their original homelands somewhere in the Caucasus. I think they were dislodged from there during the Russian expansion in the mid-18-hundreds. And yes their guard and sabers are similar to those of cossacks.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
very nice update!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
That already looks great!

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
in the late XIXth century, the Ottomans used the Tcherkess in settlement in the rebellious areas of the Levant ...
the French recruited them from 1922 . They were used as a mobile police force of great value .

if Michael produce some cavalry for levant, my main interest is in Moroccan Spahis ...
but for the moment, i'm waiting for the 75mm moutain gun with senegales crew ... John Hart finished the master of the gun some month ago ...
( next, i'll dream of the 37mm TR infantry gun, still with senegales crew ? )
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
I would imagine Vichy to face 'Operation Torch' are most likely if they plan more, so Spahis et al, possibly?

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
not so sure, the uniforms in North Africa were the same than in Europe , except for the "Front Sud Saharien" ...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Lovely work Richard.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
not so sure, the uniforms in North Africa were the same than in Europe , except for the "Front Sud Saharien" ...

What I meant is more that the direction has changed towards 'Torch', given the next plastic set will be U.S., so any new Vichy would conform to that.

I would be happy to be proved wrong of course.  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Here's the first Vichy wagon off the vehicle park :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Needs more dust  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
That has come out beautifully - I reckon this could be the nicest vehicle you've done so far for this project. Crew are super too.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Just lovely Richard :-*