Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 276530 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.96 - Vichy Renault R35 tank
« Reply #1440 on: June 08, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »
Really nice painting.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1441 on: June 08, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
Nice to see you return to this project.

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1442 on: June 08, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »
Now that is a very tidy paintjob.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1443 on: June 08, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
What a jewel!

Here is a thing with french tanks: they look under powered when it comes to armamanet in relation to bulk of the tank. It makes me think it the french would not go to war unless there is room for a kitchen, chef and dinner table aboard.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #1444 on: June 10, 2019, 01:47:29 AM »
Isn't that just a beautiful piece?  Love your paintjob.  I did one to go with my Cult of Hastur/Partisans, and fell in love.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1445 on: June 10, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
Thanks. Nicely done :)
Yes, it’s a wonderful little model. A joy to paint - although the running gear is a bit tricky. I didn’t even bother trying to get my brush into the crevices to attempt to paint the tyres on the road wheels...

What a jewel!

Here is a thing with french tanks: they look under powered when it comes to armamanet in relation to bulk of the tank. It makes me think it the french would not go to war unless there is room for a kitchen, chef and dinner table aboard.

Totally. I always think they look undergunned. But I guess that’s because France was knocked out of the war in 1940 - before the Germans, British, Americans and Russians started putting seriously big guns on tanks. The French AFVs also all have a dash of that quirky and distinctive French style... A bit like some of the early war British tanks with their slightly Heath-Robinson charm, they seem to hark back in design more to the 1920s and 1930s, rather than the coming generation of more, um, businesslike looking tanks that rapidly evolved during WW2 itself.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1446 on: June 10, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Thanks. Nicely done :)
Yes, it’s a wonderful little model. A joy to paint - although the running gear is a bit tricky. I didn’t even bother trying to get my brush into the crevices to attempt to paint the tyres on the road wheels...

Totally. I always think they look undergunned. But I guess that’s because France was knocked out of the war in 1940 - before the Germans, British, Americans and Russians started putting seriously big guns on tanks. The French AFVs also all have a dash of that quirky and distinctive French style... A bit like some of the early war British tanks with their slightly Heath-Robinson charm, they seem to hark back in design more to the 1920s and 1930s, rather than the coming generation of more, um, businesslike looking tanks that rapidly evolved during WW2 itself.

Yeah, and with the exception of the early F17 they seem to have favoured the more expensive cast hull part rather than riveted/welded (a personal reflection rather than a well researched fact...)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:07:16 AM by Hammers »

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #1447 on: June 10, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Lovely R35, very nice cammo job.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #1448 on: June 11, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
New to this thread, sorry I mostly hang out in the threads with fantasy men in iron suits... but I recently got my father into wargaming (he's about to retire and has no hobbies!)... his chosen periods are ACW and WWII.... I've purchased him the bolt action band of brothers starter set and some paints and brushes... he said he read this entire thread and it's been very inspirational to him and he's ready to get going. Thumbs up Captain Blood... very high quality stuff and lots of information here for me to help him (and myself, looks like i'm buying some tanks!).
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1449 on: June 11, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
Thanks gibby64  :)

I’m glad your father found it interesting. The best of luck to him with his newfound hobby. I hope you have some great games together in the future.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1450 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »

Further back than 1920! The design and armament of the H35 and R35 make sense when you think of them as updated versions of the FT17...they were basically made to the same specification. Which makes them quite good in that respect, 40mm armour, double the engine power....unfortunately for French tankers other nations had moved on in their thinking...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1451 on: June 12, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »
French tanks always look cool, maybe because we don't see a lot of them.
I was brought up on Airfix, for many years I thought the 'Fall of France'
was achieved by Tigers & Panthers opposed by Shermans.
Our group is planning to roll out our (early) WW2 stuff & play a game
of Rapid Fire some-time soon. I am hopeful Flatpack will provide his usual report.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1452 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:41 PM »
Nice work Richard on the your French AFV. Love the colours!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1453 on: June 16, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Thanks Helen and chaps.

Here's a little kit-bash and paint done today...  :)

I've just finished building the recently released Rubicon Models SdKtz222/223 kit - and whilst Rubicon make exceptionally sharply detailed 1/56 AFV and vehicle kits, for some reason the crew figures included are truthfully a bit soft in detail, and honestly not that great.

So for my Western Desert collection vehicle crews I generally kitbash with Perry parts for a better result.

Here's the commander for my forthcoming SdKfz223. He's designed to perch on the turret rim with his (non-existent) boots dangling insouciantly inside.
I've used the Rubicon Afrika Korps body provided (you get the option of two figures, Europe and Africa). But I've added a Perry head (sliced off the prone MG gunner, if anyone's interested), officer's soft cap and arms from the Perry DAK set. Also the MP40 magazine pouch.
Both hands have been cut off and repositioned slightly so that he sits just right on the rotating MG turret...

Must admit, I'm rather chuffed with how he's turned out...
From this angle, with a bit of jiggery-pokery, he could (almost) have come straight from an old propaganda shot, nein? ;)

(Well, apart from the spike up his arse, obvs... )

:)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Very nice.