Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686610
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 276592 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Desert War build thread
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
And I thought the Perry War of the Roses plastics were small and detailed... wow.

Me too.   :o

Still ordering though!  :D

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »

He also said you picked the tallest of the WOTR range, with the biggest head.  lol

Hmmm. Not really. I could definitely make a taller one with a bigger head than this.

Trust me, compared to the WOTR figures, with which I have a fair amount of experience, the 8th Army figures are comfortably 10% smaller if not more.

I'm not trying to put anyone off - no-one is a bigger fan of Michael Perry's work than me. But the size difference is curious, and people might as well know that these new figures, lovely as they are, are right at the small end of the 28mm spectrum.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
Hmm so 25s then?

Thinking aloud, I wonder if the Perry's sculpted the WW2 collections over at Foundry and if - being older figures - they are also similarly small?  In which case, would the German paras be a good enough match for Crete and the Brit paras for Sicily?

former user

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 06:11:52 AM »
here it comes, the scale creep hysteria  lol lol
well, human height is a much debated issue in anthropological sciences, not only in the wargamer community   ;)
for those interested here an intro into the topic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#History_of_human_height
with a large reference list at the end, especially this one
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/wwl/koepke%20baten%20two%20millennia.pdf

and just to make a visual statement

so the real question is (because I personally disregard the option that the pros at Renedra made a mistake when downscaling)
Did the Perry brothers want to authentically depict the decrease of human body size due to industialization and overpopulation, or is this simply a "back to the roots" statement on the scale creep in the industry with the 32mm figures having arrived at 1/48 scale and the number of sculptors who work in that direction increasing?

what are Your thoughts?

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 07:24:30 AM »
Hmm so 25s then?

Thinking aloud, I wonder if the Perry's sculpted the WW2 collections over at Foundry and if - being older figures - they are also similarly small?  In which case, would the German paras be a good enough match for Crete and the Brit paras for Sicily?

The perry's did sculpt the old WW2 foundry Home Guard, Brit & German Para's & Germans But not the Chindits.
I wouldn't say they were that small though, but without having them next to each other....................

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
Aha - another build-thread epic Richard? Can't wait!

I've put together five of these, plus the carrier, and they are a dream to assemble. I've spent a little time removing the back-fills around the water bottles etc. just to sharpen everything up a bit, but otherwise they are great straight from the box. Also basing on 1p coins rather than the supplied bases. Same diameter but a bit of useful weight which stops them flying away when they get a spray undercoat.  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »
Did the Perry brothers want to authentically depict the decrease of human body size due to industialization and overpopulation, or is this simply a "back to the roots" statement on the scale creep in the industry with the 32mm figures having arrived at 1/48 scale and the number of sculptors who work in that direction increasing?

what are Your thoughts?

All the reliable science suggests that the average human in the developed world has gained in height over the past century, largely due to dietary change.

Maybe it's more of the homage to Airfix thing? These could be the HO/OO of 28mm
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
italians will be in metal if I understand correctly

former user,

yes, they'll be in metal.
I spoke with the Perrys and the explained that the numbers don't justify the cost of a plastic version.
Quite obvious.
I saw them in the flesh and they are "Perry standard" indeed.

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
former user,

yes, they'll be in metal.
I spoke with the Perrys and the explained that the numbers don't justify the cost of a plastic version.
Quite obvious.
I saw them in the flesh and they are "Perry standard" indeed.

Marco
But maybe they do italian heads for conversion with DAK-Plastic. I think it will work...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

former user

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
All the reliable science suggests that the average human in the developed world has gained in height over the past century, largely due to dietary change.

Maybe it's more of the homage to Airfix thing? These could be the HO/OO of 28mm
for past 1950 I would agree  ;)
however this was not the debate I wanted to raise - physical anthropology is not my specialty or excellence  :(
I only wanted to provide an entry for the ones interested in the topic.
My impression basically follows Your lead that it has something to do with establishing standards in the industry like Airfix and Matchbox did.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
Aha - another build-thread epic Richard? Can't wait!

I've put together five of these, plus the carrier, and they are a dream to assemble. I've spent a little time removing the back-fills around the water bottles etc. just to sharpen everything up a bit, but otherwise they are great straight from the box. Also basing on 1p coins rather than the supplied bases. Same diameter but a bit of useful weight which stops them flying away when they get a spray undercoat.  :)

Cheers Keith  :)
Yes, I'm going to mount mine on 20mm washers to give them a bit more of the fabled 'heft'.
And yes, you're right, there are a few undercuts around the shorts and water bottle which need a little carving out. Not bad though. Only for the fastidious  ;)
Meanwhile, here are numbers four and five.

And before anyone says it's not historically accurate, please be aware that I don't care.
(Besides, if it's good enough for Tamiya panzer grenadiers, it's good enough for Perry Tommies :))

I've repositioned the heads on both of these - figure I'm probably going to end up doing this on almost all these figures, because it's the attitude of the head which lets you create particularly distinctive poses. Easy with the separate heads on in the WoTR sets - less easy with these chaps.

Apart from that, they're straight from the box.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Disappointed to see they have no paint on them yet. ;)

Looking forward to seeing this project come together. Now of course you are going to have to make some desert terrain boards as well. :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
Well, you know those Zulu War boards I lovingly constructed and used precisely twice... I think they are about to get repurposed...
Generic desert is always useful...
We can even play Crusades Nick  :D

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »

And before anyone says it's not historically accurate, please be aware that I don't care.

lol "That's my boy Hookie!"

I'm also a bit disappointed there ain't no paint on 'em  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
3 Pages in less than a day?  :o

Sounds like another promising thread...

Quite obvious.

That will be a self fulfilling prophecy... British and Germans in plastic will sell more than Italians in metal. Which will justify the thought process that "there's just no call for Italians in plastic".

Gutted about the scale issues though, looks like I won't be incorporating them into my Low Countries Medievals...  ::)

;)