Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules  (Read 105241 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: The Lead Painters' League Season 7 - Rules
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2013, 04:54:17 AM »
Sorry to be asking a rules related question so late in the game... would a robot count as the 'large requirement' in Round 10? It specifies vehicle, creature, spaceship etc. but the poor, misunderstood robot gets no mention  :'(

In case anyone is wondering, no, I haven't fully decided on what my entry will consist of. The 'Dr' in Dr Mathias is for my Ph.D. in procrastination ;) 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2013, 06:34:49 AM »
I think as long as it's something large it would count. But not if it's just another mini! The idea for the round 10 bonus theme is usually two sets of figures plus a big something.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
As Captain Blood said, it needs to be something above and beyond the standard size miniature.  A robot would be OK, provided it was noticeably larger than the rest of the team(s).  See the previous example of a standard mini with a huge gun, which doesn't meet the criteria. 

I know "large" is a bit vague, but I think its intent it fairly obvious.  For example; ED-209 = yes.  Robbie the robot = no.
If you want to check specific miniatures/models with me feel free to PM or email via the LPL email.  :)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Thanks! If I use it, its probably 4-5x the height of the other 28mm.

Matt

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:54 PM »
Hi,

I didn't want to bring this up until after the league was complete. I was wondering if, for next year, the prohibition against round, inset photographs for zooms, close ups, opposite sides, etc., could be reconsidered? I don't think a round photograph is any more fancy than a rectangular one.

Just my opinion, of course. I'll go with whatever the organizers decide, of course. I just wanted to suggest this reinterpretation.

Thanks again for all the hard work, this year!

Mike Demana

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
Was the shape a problem? I thought it was having fancy chrome borders, etc. and stuff that was the issue. I'd better go back and read the rules again ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »
There's going to be some revision of the rules before the next LPL, really with a view to simplifying things as much as possible. Watch this space. But not for a while yet.
 :)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
Was the shape a problem? I thought it was having fancy chrome borders, etc. and stuff that was the issue. I'd better go back and read the rules again ;)

Well, I was told it was the round shape....I go with a fairly thick all black border on both my round and rectangular ones so there is a clear delineation for the eye between the main photo and the close ups. Not that it was a huge deal. I'm just anal-retentive when it comes to design and I sometimes felt a round inset photo simply looks better than a rectangular one.

Mike Demana

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
I thought the rules were intended to level the playing field, so that people without graphic skills weren't being trumped by people that can operate PS really well. Unless I'm doing something wrong, a round inset detail with a little border is done the same way as a square detail with a little border. To me its just a shape and I agree with you that design/layout/composition matters a lot. If you're passionate about it, it invades every aspect of life ;)

Having spent some time recently going through the early LPLs there are many, many entries that are actually hurt by the excessive photoshoppery and text. I really think the last two year's restrictions helped my eye for composition and trying to tell a story with a minimum amount of spoonfeeding. I was using thick borders, then realized every pixel possible of my 800x800 image needed to be devoted to the figures. The last two years entries are largely better because of the general restrictions.

That said, as a teacher who has run many art related events for fun, I can say that the more rules that get tacked on, and the more questions that arise- the less fun the event is for the organizers. One extra credit opportunity I ran for years became so tedious I stopped it.

Lets keep the intention of the LPL pure- to chip off the lead mountain!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »
Quite  :)

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »
just a quick question that came to my mind

if i enter a team in the lpl.... do all miniatures ahve to be newly painted and unreleased miniatures or would it be ok if the team consits of miniatures that i have painted but yet did not enter in any lpl ?