Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Impudent Mortal's WIP Thread  (Read 4660 times)

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
    • Impudent Mortal Facebook
Impudent Mortal's WIP Thread
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I did a Kickstarter back in September where I introduced my idea for buildings that have a puzzle piece backing so you can make more than one thing with them, kind of a terrain lego idea.

They started out with simple 4 * 6 buildings like this:

Well now it's time to expand on the idea and start making different shapes and parts to go with them.

So I'm working on a Sci Fi recon outpost where the main building uses the existing parts:

Then I'm adding a walkway, and landing pad that can connect to the buildings, and since it's modular, the connector for the tab can be moved to allow you to place it on the left right or center.

Then I made a roof structure that can be placed wherever and has a removable top:

I'm relatively pleased with the over shape and flexibility of the piece. For the final version I'll probably do 2 more stair units (although I'm not 100% thrilled with the current version), and put some texture on the landing pad, walkways, and possible maybe the roof. I'm thinking maybe something different than the texture that is on the building but something that goes with it, not overly sure yet.

I don't know...

Any ideas, likes, dislikes, etc for the piece? This and more will be available when I launch my second KS in a few months and I'd like to get your opinion to make it as cool as it can be!
Don't Worry I Have a Plan

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
Re: Impudent Mortal's WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:50:59 AM »
I like the direction you're going in.  I backed your first Kickstarter (waiting on my 6 sci-fi buidlings), and I'm glad you're branching out to more than just buildings.  I'm not a fan of the roof as is yet.  Also, is the "L" shaped walkway one piece?  It would be nice to have shorter walkways that can be more flexible in their layout.  Also, any scatter terrain planned (crates, generators, etc)?

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
Also, is the "L" shaped walkway one piece?  It would be nice to have shorter walkways that can be more flexible in their layout.  Also, any scatter terrain planned (crates, generators, etc)?

The 'L' is one piece but with things being modular if you wanted other sizes and shapes I could easily do that for you. The Second KS won't have any scatter terrain but the third KS will :) I hadn't thought about generators that's a good idea and is now added to my to do list... not like it really needs to get any longer however, lol!

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
I've settled on the detail for the walkways and stairs, still nothing for the landing pad yet. I'm also working on a communication array that will sit on the roof.

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
Got a little more done.

I think the solar panels for the back is a good fit. I'm working on a com array that will be on the other side of the roof, but I'm still not sure how to texture it.

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
I've been working on getting pledges out so I haven't had much time for prototyping but I took a break and came up with this:

The dish rotates and can move up and down as well. I'm going to add something to the open area just haven't figured out what yet. Still not sure about the texture for this side of the roof. I'm starting to lean towards the texture that is on the walls... still not sure, any and all idea welcome.

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
I've been concentrating on getting the rest of my pledges done (and they are, Yeah!) so now it's time to get back to the R&D.

Here's what I came up with to finish off the outpost, if anyone has any final thoughts / suggestions now's the time :)

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
I've been slacking on the updates sorry about that.

Here's a steampunk warehouse and it's ruined version that I've recently completed

Thoughts?

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
I like the shape of the factory. It looks good. Could you have some lasercut machines/manufacturing lines?

Could you make the factory more ruined? It looks like a fire has been in it. Perhaps have 1/2 the roof and most of a wall Missing, more like an explosion has happened?

Just a thought, I like the detail you put into it.

Cheers
Matt

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
Could you have some lasercut machines/manufacturing lines?

Hummm.... that's an interesting idea, do you have any pic of what you think it should look like?

Could you make the factory more ruined? It looks like a fire has been in it. Perhaps have 1/2 the roof and most of a wall Missing, more like an explosion has happened?

Can I yes, but the problem you start to run into is the stability of the piece and I want people to be able to use the roof for fights if they wanted. However I have no problem with custom orders if you wanted one that more ruined :)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:54 PM »
Hummm.... that's an interesting idea, do you have any pic of what you think it should look like?

how about this :

or this :

:D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:08:32 PM by zizi666 »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
That's pretty cool!  :o

The only issue is that much machinery would take up too much space in the current design. But I could come up with something for a stretch goal that had the same feel but smaller. However now I'm thinking that maybe a larger warehouse with machinery might be in the future :)

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
I may be going against the trend here with most laser cut suppliers doing this, but, could we have buildings without tabs for interlocking the walls?

I like a lot of the designs available over the last few years (and that factory, WD, woof!) but I can actually put a box together without the need for tabs that (entirely from my perspective) ruin the lines of the buildings.

Micro whinge over.
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
I may be going against the trend here with most laser cut suppliers doing this, but, could we have buildings without tabs for interlocking the walls?

I like a lot of the designs available over the last few years (and that factory, WD, woof!) but I can actually put a box together without the need for tabs that (entirely from my perspective) ruin the lines of the buildings.

Micro whinge over.

I understand completely where you are coming from, and I'm not a fan of the tabs either however, they do hide well with paint and if you want to make them go away completely (as well the seam line) a little wall spackle or green stuff will do the trick.

All of my buildings have the option for a puzzle piece backing that I designed to allow you to mix and match parts that doesn't have any tabs and look like this: (I'm still working on the warehouse puzzle piece option)

But I am all about the customer getting what they want, so if you were to back my upcoming KS and wanted the non puzzle piece builds and didn't want them with tabs, I can make that happen, no problem!

So here's the 3rd building in my Epic line a Gothic Cathedral

Btw I'm giving away FREE terrain! More info here:http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53878.msg636428#msg636428

Offline wdlanghans

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Here's a steampunk bridge that I did and a friend of mine painted. The middle section of the bridge is removable and comes with 3 different length sections.