Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Question] How did you organize your workplace?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
[Question] How did you organize your workplace?
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

lastly i was thinking about purchasing a new chair for my painting table.

Indeed, right now I have an old wooden chair and while I was painting my last miniatures, I realise that my back was hurting me.

When i stood up, I was like "aaargh my back is freaking hurting me!" So I had a pillow but that wasn't so much better.

We are spending a lot of time on our desk with our pile of miniatures to paint so I thought for our health that we could think a bit to the ergonomy of our workplace.

So how did you guyzs organize your painting table? What kind of light do you use?
How many times are you spending on you table during a week?

If you have any recommandation for a new seat, I will appreciate.

Lets discuss this.
Here you can see my stuffs!!!

http://sybouslair.blogspot.co.uk

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: [Question] How did you organize your workplace?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
I use one of those ergonomic chairs, the ones with the tilted seat & knee rest & no back. Don't have any back pain no matter how long I paint. For lighting I have three high intensity lights at three different directions & light from the regular room light. I also use either a pair of +250 or +350 reading glasses depending on how fine the detail is I am trying to paint. I use a + 100 reader to read.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:40 AM »
I've thought about getting one of those chairs, but I haven't seen one recently.

I realized a while back that I tend to hunch over my workbench when I paint.  I picked up a short wooden footstool from Hobby Lobby or Michaels or something.  I put it on the tabletop and use it as a mini-workbench.  It tends to keep my hands higher, which keeps me from hunching over so much.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:45:14 AM »
This is definitely the way to go - I spend hours at various desks and tables, and cannot stress the importance of a good seat.
Regrettably, I do not follow this advice at home, and my wife complains about my making a mess as I paint standing up! These past years I have so little time for modelling that I usually grab a few minutes at a time, hence the chairlessness  :'(

As for light - I'm lucky enough to work in a room with lots of natural light, and long days. Beyond that, ordinary daylight saving - again, not ideal.

former user

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:29 AM »
proper seating is paramount of course, and everyone should find their individual solution

in the first case it would appear to me it is a question of distance between eyes and miniature related to the body position. I always use wooden blocks (or protected books) of variable size to raise the position of the miniature from the tabletop and rest my hands on them. The height of the table top and of the seat could be an issue too. I made good experience with my bad back by resting elbows on the tabletop and hands on the raised blocks and adjusting the seat height. checking for glasses or a magnifying glass could help too. The body tries to compensate the eye-hands distance and holding up things for long time. These are my experiences

@Sybou, it appears to me like You are resting the hands on the tabletop and bending over the figure. Could that be?

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »
I use an old bar stool, I tend to move from it to my computer chair a lot so I don't get any real discomfort, in fact my biggest problem is getting cats off them.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »
The cat is not allowed in my painting room. I hate it when I find cat hair dried into a finished paint job.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »
Sorry a bit lost here - organize and workplace just do not go together in my life lol

As for chairs, if I had the money and space I would buy one of these without hesitation:

BUT as the need is for a desk chair I have used two chairs for the majority of the last 20 years and they have helped my bad back (odd shaped joint / bone) control any aches and pains.

This one rocks to allow you to lean forward when you are working and then sit up straight again to use the computer:

The drawback is that it can be hard to get under the desk and slide forward / back as needed.  It is key that you do not put pressure on your knees - you weight MUST reside on your bum.  You also have to cover the seat and get new foam after 10 years or so!

At work (where I sit most of the day) I use:

As I slide in and out and around a fair bit the toes of my shoes can get scuffed or pick up the carpet colour but new shoes are cheap compared to a chiropractic session (or 6 as was normal)

Neither chair was cheap and if you have not tried one before the back does hurt after the first few days till it gets into being in the correct shape...

A few hints I have that worked for me:

1) Do not twist at all (hence the swivel version)
2) Get up and walk (even to the kitchen for tea) frequently and often.
3) Have the desk at the correct hight for the chair (or vice versa) - do not lean forward
4) If you have a computer on the desk raise the monitor so the top is level with your hairline or eyebrows
5) Keep fit - swimming is great for the back and the breathing

Ok - so I only manage 4 out of the 5 :D

It is worth taking professional advice and if you are in the UK we have used Shape Seating for these chairs.  Even our dining chairs came from here and really give visitors a shock as they rock...

Final bit of help - do not skimp on the money.  You only have one back and they do not mend very well or quickly.

Hope this helps a bit
Andrew

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
I tend to use a Directors Chair for painting minis (a chair with arms, so I can rest my elbows) but in work and for many years I used a ball, see this link;
http://www.bindependent.com/hompg/bi/bindep/store/aisles/exercise/balls/exerciseballdo.htm

Tony

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
Very interesting, Andrew. I always used some desktop chairs (ones with arms, you find it in any administrations), but I never found one when I was comfortable to work hours on it.

I've got neuralgia, I don't know if it's related (probably),  wich can be really strong, forcing me to take powerfull pills to kill the pain.

I also suffer of kidney (area speaking, not really kidney desease) pain when I stay in place a long time (painting, sculpting).

I never tried these funny chairs. I always thought that it was not useable for long period works.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »
I use one of those ergonomic chairs, the ones with the tilted seat & knee rest & no back.

I also have such a chair and have the following lamp (I never use the magnifier): http://www.protools.be/N_frame.html?http://www.protools.be/_._wie_zijn_we_.__N_xp_1.html .

There's a window in front of me and on the right hand side.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Smillie

• Librarian
    • dirtypaintpots
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »
I use a little daylight desk lamp and a rather crappy wooden chair, which whilst okay on the back seems to be causing a significant knee problem!

How we suffer for our art  lol

If I had the money (and if you do) I would recommend getting a decent swivel chair as if you are uncomfortable your painting will probably suffer.
http://dirtypaintpots.blogspot.com  - The now defunct Blog

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
I have a decent office chair that I use....but what I really need is one that has adjustable arm heights...I typically rest my elbows on the arms and hold the mini if front of my eyes at a comfortable height...with my current chair to achieve this position I have to lean over to one side as the arms are not tall enough....maybe a I'll get a new one for my B-day.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Woaw, so much answers!

Thank you guyzs :) It is cool.

Personnaly, I moved during my painting. My elbows can be on the desk, then my front arms, and then I don't rest my arms, I just raised my hands close to my eyes.

Some of the seat you showed us Andrew, are, indeed, very expensive. But you're right, we just have one back.

What I will need, is a seat with armchairs that can fit Under my desk. This way I could always have the mini at the height of my eyes.

The hardest thing is to imagine that the money you'll spend on you won't spend it on minis ...

Me I am from France, so most of the shop you told me about don't exist. I'll go in quest for such specific seat.

@former user: Sometimes I bent my head for a long time, and I felt after the great pain in the neck. When I stood up it's likz i have a strange taste in my throat, like smoke, or something, it's hard to describe.