Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 2891 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Help please
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
I've been given back the Foundry Pirates I bought in the days when Foundry stuff was affordable for my sons!  Now they are off on their own and I'm caretaking them until they return.  They have looked after them well and after a few chipped paint jobs are restored They'll take to sea again.

I'd like to expand the set up by adding a small port, a couple of ships, and some characters.  The terrain items and ships I can find easily enough.    I have tribesmen, Arabs and others that can be used.

What I'm looking for are figures compatible with Foundry to represent civilians, Gentry, Royal Navy and suitable militia infantry types to for playing small skirmish type games.  

I'm in the UK so what do you recommend?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Help please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »
Foundry produces some 18th century civilians, so they could be a match up for your pirates. But as I heavily dislike those Baker apes, I cannot recommend them. Maybe you could convert some Victorian figs, mainly the ladies.
Eureka do some civilians either, but they seem a bit late (more Rokoko style).

If you're not too serious with historical accuracy, there's a broad choice of military miniatures. You could use Perry's AWI range (lovely stuff) or the rather tall Redoubt minis for the FIW. Compared to Foundry pirates the latter would match up me thinks.
For more 'in period'-gameplay use Marlburians, e.g. the ones from Foundry. They are a bit small, but you won't mix them with your pirate scum? :wink:
Personally, I don't like the somewhat chunky Front Rank miniatures, but their Marlburian ranges are quite large with some impressive figs in there.

The said manufacturers also carry a lot you could use as militamen. Besides this, Conquest Miniatures produce very nice farmers and colonial soldiers in informal/campaign dress. They are worth a closer look.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Help please
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Eureka also has some Malburian civilians.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Help please
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
Westwind miniatures Gothic Horror, Sleepy Hollow range has some nice civilians.
Or try Black Cat bases, they have a growing pirate range with lots of civilian types and some navy. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Help please
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Westwind miniatures Gothic Horror, Sleepy Hollow range has some nice civilians.
Or try Black Cat bases, they have a growing pirate range with lots of civilian types and some navy. :)

The Blue moon guys also do a pack for their sleepy hollow which would fit too and some figures in their Highwayman range.

Oupost have a few highwaymen a nice barman and barmaid and some lovely dragoons in their range which look good

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Help please
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
Brigade miniatures have some lovely pirates (orth star carry them I think and chiltern did at the Abingdon show) also some nice civilians which would be ideal.

There are a few civilians which Malamute pointed out in the Fronty Rank Marlburian range under guns and extras.

Redoubt has some civilians in their AWI/FIW range too

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Help please
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
Do Marlburians come from Marlburia? Where is that exactly? My atlas is a little old, and still has Yugoslavia in it. I find it hard to keep up with all these new countries.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Help please
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
:lol: merely a collective name for those figures representing the Age of Marlborough :mrgreen:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Help please
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
Those Willie Ladies [!?!] in Roly's pics appear to be fairly compatible with 28mm. Depends on your view of mixing different sized figures together.

http://www.spencersmithminiatures.co.uk/willie/18thcentury.html

Scroll right to the bottom of the list.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Help please
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:14 AM »
Old Glory has some useful packs in their pirate line.  OG has a cool pack of a seated governor and his assistants that's worth a look.  OG has a pack of civilian victims/prisoners.  OG also has a pack of fancy mounted governor's guards.  OG has a bar scene pack with a bartender, barmaid, and pirates playing cards.  OG has a pack of rioting peasants somewhere.  The OG European sailors could be useful.

OG also has useful packs in lines other than the pirate line, such as wagons (the Napoleonic wagons are good) and artillery limbers with drivers (the ECW and Marlburian drivers are closest to period, and the limbers could be modified to become some kind of wagon).  OG has some cannon with crew that could be used to defend a port, especially the ECW or Marlburian ones.

Blue Moon has a very good box of colonial civilians that would mostly be useful at a pirate port.

Brigade games has a pack of Hatian civilians that would be mostly useful (except for the man in 20th century garb) as slaves at a pirate port.

Reaper has a few useful figures in its "Townsfolk" packs, although many of them are too medieval.

Are you looking at doing a Spanish port or a port of a different European power?
Sailors have more fun!