Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm Rhodesians  (Read 94849 times)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: 20mm Rhodesian Fireforce (Under Fire miniatures)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »
Great pictures. Look at the size of the ammo cans on the second pic, looks about half a ton!
The last picture is just what I've been looking for; got to be the same weapon in the picture I have, just taken from the other side - thanks a lot for posting those.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
Hear hear! For the time being, I'd settle for a pack of Grey's Scouts and maybe some Paratroopers, but vehicle crews would be great.

Regarding your topic, I wish I had seen them earlier - when I assembled my Alouettes, I considered the construction too flimsy to work with a reduced canopy, so fit them enclosed and painted in the glass. The extra detail of the crew and guns really sets them apart.

Funnily enough, I've got Para troopers on my to do list, should be a fairly straight forward conversion (head swap).

I know what you mean about flimsy, I don't know if it's the age of the kits or what, but these things break just by looking at them too hard. Every wheel has been pined back on aswell as all the rotor blades. The blades have all had some thin steel rod attached and after my daughters cat vandalised the fleet I ended up magnatising the all the rotor assemblies.

After chopping the doors off I added the upright support post back on the gunner's side.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:56:38 PM by Ash »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
Are paratroopers a problem for some reason?

I know troops on Fire Force wore British Para helmets/motorcycle helmets for the jumps, but they ditched them with the chutes on landing.

:?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 06:11:44 AM »
Are paratroopers a problem for some reason?

I know troops on Fire Force wore British Para helmets/motorcycle helmets for the jumps, but they ditched them with the chutes on landing.

:?

I guess you're right - for me it would be more of an aesthetic/practical convention in order to identify para sticks at first glance. Chutes should be off, in any case.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
I was thinking para stick ID as well, although I have a 1/72 Dakota (hiding somewhere, not quite sure how a box that size can hide, will find it one day) and may do a scenic base for it with some troops lined up next to it . . .

My main motivation is that I'm using the heads from an RLI pack to convert some modern Russians for my little EO group, and wanted something to stick back on the RLI bodies, so Para helmets seamed a good alternative, the headless WW2 paras, who are donating their heads, will then get some heads with berets that I have found, as a separate item.

Whilst looking for new ideas I was inspired by this pic of a BTR-152, knocked out by 2Cdo RLI troops in Mozamique:

I found a 1/72 BTR-152 kit on eBay and made this:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:07:35 PM by Ash »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
My main motivation is that I'm using the heads from an RLI pack to convert some modern Russians for my little EO group, and wanted something to stick back on the RLI bodies, so Para helmets seamed a good alternative, the headless WW2 paras, who are donating their heads, will them get some heads with berets that I can get as a separate item.

What manufacturer will you be using for the WW2 paras? I've been looking on and off for a range that will somehow match the UF minis in bulk (and preferably also in style).

Offline Super Mosca

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
Great work! Your figures and helos all look excellent.

Just a note: the ammo feed on the Rhodesian K-car 20mm cannons was from the opposite side than that of the Portuguese cannons.

This one is South African but shows the feed:

-Kosta

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris: I just ordered some from CP Models not tried anything from there before so fingers crosses that they fit!

@ Super Mosca: Thanks very much. Also thanks for the info on the different ammo feeds.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
@ Westfalia Chris: I just ordered some from CP Models not tried anything from there before so fingers crosses that they fit!

I say! From the pics, they look like they would match quite well! I had CP stowed away in the 28mm Scifi/Fantasy link folder, so never thought to look there. Thanks!

I had my eye on SHQ figures, as I used to own a couple of their WW2 Germans, but the site seems to be devoid of pics at the moment.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

They probably will, I'm sure they were part of the same company a while back... If my memory is correct that is, in which case Tony Boustead is likely to have sculpted both sets.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
They probably will, I'm sure they were part of the same company a while back... If my memory is correct that is, in which case Tony Boustead is likely to have sculpted both sets.

That would explain it. The overall style in the (inked casting) photos is remarkably similar.

Offline cp models

• Scientist
    • checkPoint Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »
Thanks for the order Ash

Just to confirm that TQD Castings should be a good match for Under Fire Miniatures as they were both sculpted by Tony Boustead

Empress Miniatures 20mm should also fit nicely as these were also sculpted by Tony

Hope this helps

Mark 

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »

What a busy chap!
I just Googled the talented Mr Bousted and he also did the rather gorgeously well sculpted 28mm Modern Brits from Empress. I've picked up a few from Salute, just to try painting the new camo pattern.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53182.0

@ Arlequin & Mark: Cheers for the info.

I thought there was something familiar about some of the CP Polish Paras without helmets, give them FNs and they would fit right in with the RLI models.

Mark, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the new figures; I'll post some pictures once I start chucking paint at things!

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
I would like to see more Bush and Border Wars stuff from Under Fire Miniatures.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
I would like to see more Bush and Border Wars stuff from Under Fire Miniatures.

This.

I would happily invest in 20mm for a number of settings, this included, if the figures matched the quality of the models... which those do.