Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:05:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All Quiet on the Martian Front Kickstarter  (Read 22550 times)

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
Re: All Quiet on the Martian Front Kickstarter
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
It is a sci fi setting with martians so not really sure why any sort reality to ammunition size is relevant? Quite a few people where getting hung up on historical accuracy on the kickstarter comments, why I don't know as its fiction and not trying to recreate ww1. There are plenty of other rule sets for historical gaming and I think its best to look at it as a totally science fiction game.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
In a Q&A today they said that Alan Marsh (AB guy for Eureka) did the sculpting on the infantry.

A couple photos:

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »
Looks much better now you can see close ups :D

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »
It is a sci fi setting with martians so not really sure why any sort reality to ammunition size is relevant? Quite a few people where getting hung up on historical accuracy on the kickstarter comments, why I don't know as its fiction and not trying to recreate ww1. There are plenty of other rule sets for historical gaming and I think its best to look at it as a totally science fiction game.

I'm not bothered about historical accuracy.
But I prefer vehicles that look as though they might physically be possible.
The setting for this pre-dates WWI (Martian invasion 1908?), so I'm a little dissapointed that the only vehicle designs look like steam-powered Landraiders, Lehman Russ, or Basilisks. I had hoped for a bit more originality. As to the ammunition question, there is a vehicle with an ammo trailer, and the Patton has a rule for running out of ammo, but it looks unlikely to run out unless you opt for rapid fire from the 8x4" guns. The 10" gun won't run out of ammo. I'm old enough to know how big a 4" shell is, and the vehicle just looks silly. More like the tank design from "Wacky Races".
For SF gaming I tend to go with Hammers Slammers - the Blower tank is a reasonable looking clean design.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
If you don't like them, don't buy them. Nobody is forcing you.

But please don't turn this into a "I hate this" kinda thread... it's really not in the LAF spirit.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
No worries Ray, I apologise for being negative.

I'm actually in on the KS at Invasion level, but would just prefer it if there was an invasion level that didn't include the Baldwins. There are a few others that have expressed preferences - Quendil, OLeary etc.
I suppose I'm half-way hoping that someone will say they really like the Baldwins and offer to split the set.

I don't "hate" them, but I prefer designers who put more care into their designs.
The same applies to lots of companies - not just figures but films etc.

I suppose it's like the disappointment that you get when you see the German tank attack led by Chaffees and you think "couldn't they put in a bit more effort?".

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
Well, the Baldwin II is hard to love...  lol

But I kinda like the III and IV.

I know a lot of the kit isn't very rational, but being a VSF nut, I can usually come up with an irrationally rational reason to accept them.  :D

Surprised a Brit company didn't do something along these lines before, to be quite honest. They are suitably eccentric to come up with all kinds of weird and wonderful machines.

Good to hear you have pledged, though I do believe a purely Martian pledge level would get a lot of love. We'll see what happens, I must say the AD folks seem to be fairly flexible and the "all Martian option" has been mentioned a number of times in the comments.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
AD folks seem to be fairly flexible and the "all Martian option" has been mentioned a number of times in the comments.

I mentioned it a couple of times today in the open talk session (whatever it's called)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »

Good to hear you have pledged, though I do believe a purely Martian pledge level would get a lot of love. We'll see what happens, I must say the AD folks seem to be fairly flexible and the "all Martian option" has been mentioned a number of times in the comments.

I could be tempted by that.

I have no use for 15mm scale humans, though, and that has been what has made me turn my back on this.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
I know a lot of the kit isn't very rational, but being a VSF nut, I can usually come up with an irrationally rational reason to accept them.  :D
Surprised a Brit company didn't do something along these lines before, to be quite honest. They are suitably eccentric to come up with all kinds of weird and wonderful machines.

Actually, I had rather hoped to see something like the 1998 video game of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. If you are not familiar with the game, it's based on a second attack by Martians, but this time landing in Scotland. Limited number of human units, although you can research more as the game progresses, and vehicles tend to be lightly armoured lorries armed with QF pom-poms rather than armoured behemoths to start with. Martians are virtually unstoppable (other than with huge numbers and heavy losses) but resources play a big role and human losses can be replaced faster than Martian ones. Probably my favourite game on the PC.
Plus it has Jeff Wayne's music, and if you play as the humans you get reports from someone who sounds like Sir Nigel Hawthorne...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
Thinking of Jeff Wayne, if AD wanted to expand their client base they might consider the possibilities if putting out kits to support the "JW WotW live on stage" tours - the merchandise is fairly bland, mostly t-shirts, mugs, posters and badges. The last time we saw it live the audience was mostly the sort of middle-aged folk who would probably be more at home in cardigans than t-shirts, but chatting with a few of the crowd in the interval, there were quite a few gamers/modelmakers.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
Actually, I had rather hoped to see something like the 1998 video game of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I had that game, and probably still do... somewhere.  :-*

It was an excellent game but somehow I could never make it work well on my PC.  :'(

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Bit of a nail biter!

Free stuff if we hit 150K today by 1200 midnight tonight EST.

Almost 146k at time of posting...

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »
For those of you not interested in the human forces, I'm sure sales and swaps made amongst ourselves is always an option.

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
This has just come through

Looks great :-*