Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley AAR - Arbis vs. Newts  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Pulp Alley AAR - Arbis vs. Newts
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »
Deep in the jungles of Venus, an airship has crashed, snagging on the tall trees. Luggage, rations, and other cargo are scattered across the soggy forest floor. The few survivors scramble for their gas masks, trying to get to a nearby camp before the native inhabitants gather at the scene. The Arbis and Newts, ancient rivals, both emerge from the dank undergrowth. They seize the opportunity to acquire new technologies and possibly gain an upper hand against the other Venus species.

This a regular Smash and Grab scenario with the major plot point being the box of rifles and munitions sitting on the top of a cliff. There are also survivors playing the role of minor plot points.

Both the Arbis and Newts take no time in rounding up survivors. Each side manages to capture one plot point each.

The leader of the Newts wastes no time in scaling the small cliff, aiming to capture one of the survivors. Before he reaches his prize the Arbis queen shoots him off the bluff with her deadly needle like branches. Trip-Up is played and he lands with a thud.

The queen begins to scale the sheer cliff that holds the munitions and rifles. She is intercepted by the number two of the Newts along with a few gangly looking followers. The followers fire from a distance and the sidekick charges, managing to slow down and injure the matriarch.

The sidekick of the Arbis is quickly gunned down by a survivor and poisonous arrows fired by two followers.

The Newt sidekick quickly re-engages the matriarch. Both are injured in the fierce brawl and the slimy native falls to the ground, dropping his plot point.

The queen tries once again to scale the mighty cliff-side. A peril is played and she falls back down the cliff, dropping her previously captured plot point.

A follower runs to pick up the leader’s lost possession while she’s down.

The Newt sidekick recovers and moves to reclaim his prize.

A Newt follower captures a wandering survivor.

The Newt sidekick attempts to climb the cliff to join his leader but slips and falls back down to where he was.

The Newt leader picks up the major plot point and takes the new technology back to the tribe.

The Newts captured two survivors and the artillery (Tip, Contact, Exp) and the Arbis acquired a survivor (Gear).

This was a really fun scenario. I wanted to try something different and focus on the alien species. I really liked playing with the Arbis even though they got their butts' kicked. lol

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Pulp Alley AAR - Arbis vs. Newts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
Good looking game  8)

Are the Arbis something you've come up with or are they part of the general 'known' ethos of Venus?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
That does look good with two original groups of antagonists.
 :-*

Good report too.
It shows the versatility of the Pulp Alley rules.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »
Good looking game  8)

Are the Arbis something you've come up with or are they part of the general 'known' ethos of Venus?

cheers

James

It's just something I came up with. We picked the figures up recently in Kansas. We saw them and thought they would fit in well with the Venus 1881 setting. I've been writing some background for them along with the other species. I might post some of it up when I get my thoughts together. :)

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:09:41 AM »
That's a very nice report and great use of GW figures in a non-GW game.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
I might post some of it up when I get my thoughts together. :)

It would be good if you could as we're going to be visiting Venus at some point this year.

cheers

James

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »
It would be good if you could as we're going to be visiting Venus at some point this year.

Overall, Mila is sticking to the steamy jungle world inhabited by dinosaurs idea. But she's added in a lot of cool details of her own. At times we've had to adjust the alien races to fit the miniatures we already have, or can come up with cheaply. I'd still like to have a decent insectoid race, if anyone has some miniatures to suggest.

Thanks for all the support and cool suggestions!  :D

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
Another great looking report.

Have you looked at the Zzor figures for Dreadball that are just starting to be released? They might suit what you're looking for in insects.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
Excellent, and refreshingly different to see aliens as the protagonists.  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 12:44:21 AM »
Another great looking report.

Have you looked at the Zzor figures for Dreadball that are just starting to be released? They might suit what you're looking for in insects.

Thanks, those look cool!