Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP Afghan Compounds (Update: 3rd October Ruined Walls Cast WIP)  (Read 16834 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: WIP Wall Sections
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
mmm, the shape is really nice, but the texture looks a little unrealistic to me, imho.
The doors, on the other hands, are really sweet!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks. It'll work when painted, when I saw similar buildings in my travels in Pakistan and Ethiopia they were incredibly rough, which is what I've replicated.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:33:08 AM by 6milPhil »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
I really like the look of these Phil, very nice indeed. You've now got my under the illusion that I could cast my own stuff! I suspect you make it look far easier than it is!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Thanks.

I highly recommend it, although it is a steep learning curve but also a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows. Fortunately I've got to the stage, after just over two years, were I'm making masters which don't break or otherwise muck up in the rubber, plus the moulds cast fine first time. I'm still very much an amateur compared to some of the folk I know.

The key is in making rock solid masters, which is the same as making models for the tabletop but takes about twice as long... once you've mastered that the rest is easy.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
I've been put off in the past by the variety of mould rubbers, release agents and resins. I figured maybe a trial in plaster might be an idea? Then I could get exactly what I wanted!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks.

I highly recommend it, although it is a steep learning curve but also a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows. Fortunately I've got to the stage, after just over two years, were I'm making masters which don't break or otherwise muck up in the rubber, plus the moulds cast fine first time. I'm still very much an amateur compared to some of the folk I know.

The key is in making rock solid masters, which is the same as making models for the tabletop but takes about twice as long... once you've mastered that the rest is easy.

I second any word, making moulds is a lovely activity. And any first cast... is like a child. :)
Well, less painful.

a tutorial here, if interested. :)

http://www.thelazyforger.com/tutorials/making-moulds/

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
I've been put off in the past by the variety of mould rubbers, release agents and resins. I figured maybe a trial in plaster might be an idea? Then I could get exactly what I wanted!

I can see how that could be confusing, if you want any tips just pm me. Basically the rubber comes in different softnesses, the softer it is the fewer casts per mould, but the better it is for finer detail. The resins are simple, just go for the modern German made ones, avoid the old polyester. The biggest outlay would be for a vacuum chamber, but you could make one.
The first casts I did were plasticine and plaster, but you might just find that disheartening.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
Cheers Phil. I may just pick your brains via a PM! Thanks, Steve.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
All the casts are being painted but I've made three more pieces.

Firstly a taller door, great fun carving out the brick work pillars. I've deliberately made this slightly askew to look old and not too well made.

I kept the detail on the shorter wall sections quite plain, because if you use a few of the same piece the repeatition of detail can be distracting, so on these two longer sections (180mm) I put in a lot of detail.

One thing I have noticed is the occassional filled in window or door in an old wall, true of a lot of architecture, so I've put a filled window on one and a filled door on the other. These are bricked on one side, and rendered on the other but with a different texture.Although they stick out at the moment once painted it will be more subtle.

I've also got a compound building underway, but trying to do something a little different.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: WIP Wall Sections (UPDATE: 25th May)
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
The sections above are now in rubber, which gave me time to finish painting.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: WIP Wall Sections (Update: Painted! 28th May)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
Brilliant, might actually pull my finger out and give making some myself - though I want to try a more dry stone wall type.

Did you make a vacuum chamber yourself, or are these just 'straight' casts?

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
No I bought a vaccuum chamber, started with a small one, now have a slightly bigger one.

Painted up the two long sections and the highe door... these should be in the catalogue this week...

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: WIP Wall Sections (Update: Painted! 30th May)
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
Got the buildings doen to completment the wall sections. I wanted to make something with some variety. Originally I considered kit buildings with choices for walls etc, but I thought that might not be as quickly useful as more standard buildings.

So I've started with this basic building...

... and then built a L-Shaped extension which fits all four corners of the basic building.

Then I've built a shed like extension which can also be added.

So three pieces, all with lift-out roofs offering a wide range of building choice. You can glue these together or keep them seperate. These all work with the wall sections.

There will be some smaller additional details, like a staircase. Anyone have any suggestions for additional, er... additions?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: WIP Afghan Compounds (Update: Multi-choice Buildings 31st May)
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Great modular set up Phil. What about a 2 storey extension?