Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mars Attacks?  (Read 8171 times)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Re: Mars Attacks?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
Pity if it is 15mm, but I'm still keen to have a nosey, the comic series is a bit of silly fun at the minute...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
I was quite stoked about the idea of there being some 50s era GIs... really hope it's not 15mm  :(

However, the idea of the game is still pretty awesome and of course 15mm will work for the vehicles and machines. In true 'toy soldier' style though, the figures should be 28mm and the models somewhat smaller.

;)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »
Yuppi! They're coming in peace!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
I was a bit confused when he mentioned 'Tripods' in the first place... there aren't any in MA. Quite big machines, but no Tripods.  :?

You are right in the main though. Unless there is some way of producing clear plastic helmets in 15mm, the Martians are going to look a bit shit to say the least. How many model 'war machines' are you going to field in a game, compared to actual figures? It's not Battletech after all... although it is beginning to resemble 'Epic'.

Right now and thanks to one comment on the forum, it sounds like the game is just going to be a copy of the 'All Quiet' project. Can the market support two quite similar games?

*Edit: From his response to Scurv's post it looks like Mr Gilbert was talking out of his arse and doesn't really know what the plans are.  ::) 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:34:22 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
Likewise, it has prompted me to return to my guilty pleasure of 50-60's sci-fi and pulp... I even blew the dust off my AC57 figures.  lol

After thinking for a while, I did sort of think that if they went with a Dystopian Wars/Dystopian Legions type two-tier game system sort of thing, they could in fact please everyone... well, almost everyone.

;)

Offline Troublemaker Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
Can the market support two quite similar games?
Three. ;-)

http://www.troublemakergames.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
Mantic: one bad decision after another.  Although...

if you are going to flog a dead scale

Khurasan et al might take issue with that statement.  8)

However... in this case I agree that the martians themselves themselves would probably work better in 28mm.  You're a bit more stuck if you want to field all those human tanks vs. saucers, robots, and giant bugs, though.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
They do look a bit bigger on the cards than they did in the movie, admittedly still a tad shorter than humans.

Personally I think the whole game in 15mm should work well, newer stuff often comes closer to being 18 or even 20mm anyways. Though that would greatly depend on the quality of the minis, which tends to be fairly hit & miss when it come to Mantic.
They should sell a box of 28mm (possibly placcy) Martians as well. Bit like Spartan Games.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
Tripods?   ???

Tripods?!  :o

TRIPODS?   o_o

OMG.   :-[

When I read that I almost freaked out.  Then later I saw where that might have been mis-spoke.   :)

I would think that a major injustice and I never even saw the movie...   :?

Freakin' Tripods...  ::)

As for the scale, if done properly it would (could) work in 15 mm.  The problem is that "if" word...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »
You can relax Glenn... at least I think you can anyway.  :?

The 'Tripod' remark was (I think) said in error, by someone who has very little idea of what MA is all about. I'm sure he meant the big mechs with the claws and such.

I'm hoping for 28mm for quite selfish reasons, I have always wanted some 50s/60s pre-M16 US troops and some late 50s/early 60s civilians... I may, or may not actually play the game itself on its own merits.

Having said that, I could easily get into a 15mm game, again, on the strength of the models and rules... potentially it could be a lot of fun.

:)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:13 AM »
<snip> all brill cream bobby sox and beach boys albums.

An aged Johnny Weissmuller is their president.  ;)

lol

Brill Cream!?  I refuse to answer any questions about any reported use of Brill Cream in my youth... for anything!

Beach Boys, still have the records...  Fer sure...

Johnny Weissmuller, Now, HE would be a president to follow!  And Duke Kahanamoku as V. P. completes the Executive Branch!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:40:19 AM »
<snip>I'm sure he meant the big mechs with the claws and such.

<snip>

Well, that would make more sense.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  Big Mechs... claws... sense... nah, not going there.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
Look at this way in 15mm they will look like 28mm testicles in jars..... with legs. Surely there must be a use for those?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Out of curiosity Arlequin what would be the differences in a 50's national guardsman to  ww2 GI?

Their boots and their uniform... weapons and helmets were the same, except for the M20 bazooka, which was also quite distinctive.
Almost every WW2 figure out there is wearing an earlier style uniform, with the waist length jacket and spats. In the 1950s you would only find that uniform worn in places like Batista's Cuba.

It's not really that big a deal, all things considered, but when you know, you know. It will stand out in 28mm, but not so obvious in 15mm. Sure it's button counting, but it's the specific 'look' I am after... accept no substitutes!

;)

Beach Boys? They're fine if you want to put an ultra-modern spin on the game I suppose... I was thinking more Dick Dale. I suppose you could have some characters looking a lot like Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Sandra Dee et al to draw in the youngsters...

;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:57:31 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
I'm completely thrilled at the prospect of a Mars Attacks game.

The genre and the setting is right up my alley... and I've been tampering with the idea for ages anyway.

I can't say that a 15mm endeavour has me thrilled, but you never know what these clever plastic people can sort out. As a customer I have the luxury of waiting and seeing before I commit, I guess.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com