Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (21Feb SGK#53-Battle of Hellgate Pass)  (Read 74768 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (21June SGK#45:The Outlaws)
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »
WONDERFUL STUFF! The photos are, I admit, what draw me to your stories & hold my attention, poor as that may at time s be, but it's style of play that I find most attractive; i.e., you are creating the story through your games rather than playing parts in another author's tale. To my mind this is what fantasy gaming, RPG or table top, is meant to be. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »
There are quite a few threads on this forum that are delightful to keep up with. Yours is one of the best. I always look forward to seeing what you've added, and occasionally enjoy going back through for another viewing. I've mentioned before how impressive your photography is. This last batch of posts is just as good.

Tell Teshub his painting is marvelous. I don't know if I've complimented him for his painting before, which would be a shame. I'm a sucker for the older style fantasy miniatures, like the Nick Lund Grenadier orks. He has done them proud.   

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
Thanks very much for the kind words everybody!

Furt: yes, the spears and shields are separate from the bodies.

Too Bo Coo: This is a dedicated space that was built to be a playroom/hobby counter/computer lab. Functional at its core, the gaming space can take us from Vangen Wars #2 Friday night:

to staging for a four-day family backpacking trip 12 hours later Saturday afternoon:

to playing Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #51 tonight 25 hours after we got home and unpacked in the space:

More to follow,
Jevenkah

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2014, 01:03:51 AM »
always good to see a family enjoying being together. Keep up the great posts.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
And the gaming space served us well tonight (and into this morning) for Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #51:

More fights against orcs, with AAR soon to follow:

Jevenkah

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (28June SGK#51 sneak peak)
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
I love this thread!

Your collection of minis and scenery is awe inspiring nothing less. The way all your games are tied into an ongoing story is so cool. Sadly my gaming buddies and myself have the attention span of a butterfly and would never be able to pull of something like it. But we often dream of it.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
What a wonderful space you guys have.  Sadly my tiny flat in Amsterdam does not permit such extravagances, but I live in my 'future game home' through your pictures at this moment :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
At the risk of going soppy, your lifestyle is idyllic; the sustance of which my dreams were made. It couldn't happen to a nicer family.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2014, 02:15:01 AM »
Thanks so much, Nala! I am truly blessed with a wonderful family, and an environment that lets us all have fun together. I often pinch myself. It's not every woman whose man really does give her a world.  :-*

Too Bo Coo: Teshub and his father built our house on weekends and nights, with the helping hands of many family and friends, some of whom now get to game in this space 13 years later. The best part about our dedicated gaming space is that also works for birthday parties, Lego layouts, Hot Wheels courses (with those orange tracks that Hot Wheels has made since we were kids, I swear we have enough for a 1/4 mile track), marble runs, candy stores, and any kind of crafting project you can imagine. Yet everybody here understands when it's game night, that's what the space is for. It's made a little easier on the kids since they get to eat whatever snacks are left over the next day.

I'm thrilled that so many of you enjoy our games. It's exciting to show our fun in photos!

I'm not the only one who likes recording our adventures in pictures:

Jevenkah

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
[quote author=Jevenkah link=topic=54058.msg829757#msg829757 date=1404090901

I'm thrilled that so many of you enjoy our games. It's exciting to show our fun in photos!

[/quote]

I for one have certainly enjoyed following your ongoing adventures and thanks for the info on your space.  Just fantastic! :D

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
I love this thread!

+1

This thread is a real inspiration. It's made me look at those old Grenadier orcs in a new way; I've even dug out an old Grenadier/ Mirliton troll and painted it up.

Keep up the great posts.

RMZ

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks again for the encouragement all! We'll keep the reports coming!

Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #46- "Dark Days in Helvik" began in the field in North Gautria. The surrounding land was scarred from the League of Nil-ith Horn orc invasion. Villagers had fled west to the stone fortress of Mosveld, or been slain by the marauders.

Kvig Melgarson led three units of faithful men into his ancestral home of Helvik.

There he found his brother Olaf Melgarson slumped in a large wooden chair, drink in hand. His beautiful wife Ragna sat in a matched chair by his side. Casks and barrels lined the side of the hall between Kvig and Olaf.

Kvig berated Olaf for letting their father's lands fall to ruin. Heated words were exchanged between brothers.

“Bleddyn,” Kvig said at last “The casks.”

With just a slight hesitation, Bleddyn hacked into a barrel. The floor grew dark as Bleddyn slashed cask after cask.

Olaf only shuddered and let his sword drop. Ragna shrieked and ran from the hall.

“You will see what you have done, brother,” said Olaf hopelessly.

Will Olaf and Kvig join forces in the fight to rid North Gautria of the League of Nil-ith Horn orcs? Read the whole report on the website at:
http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/sgk-46/

Jevenkah

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
A great story, worthy of the old sagas!

What a beautiful looking game, especially the hall.  :-*

Tell me Jevenkah, how much of your game is roleplaying as opposed to wargaming?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks for that compliment Furt! The old sagas are a top choice of mine for Teshub to read aloud while I'm cooking.

Tell me Jevenkah, how much of your game is roleplaying as opposed to wargaming?

That has a bit of an unsatisfactory answer: it varies depending on the adventure. SGK #46 was almost entirely roleplay, SGK #40 was a huge wargame, and SGK #42 was political maneuvering, then some mass combat, then more politicking, followed by skill checks which rapidly degenerated into hand-to-hand combat.  :D Sometimes, there will be 120 minis on the table and the roleplay brings about no mass conflict.

In general, the game is heavily role-play oriented. Even in a wargame scenario during the larger gaming evening, we're playing our part in the story. Most of the evening is filled with improvisation by players, and we're always encouraged to give speeches, make deals, engage the NPCs and each other in character.

RPGing forever,
Jevenkah

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
I do envy this campaign of yours. I believe it to be the greatest achievement in a roleplaying game, if kingdom ruling and adventuring can be brought together, along with a healthy dose of wargaming. Seems you have achieved all of that here.

BTW - looks like a pretty serious standoff in that last pic!  >:(