Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I am looking for Korean War in 28  (Read 29902 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: I am looking for Korean War in 28
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
Correction, I was looking though pictures of the 1950-51 winter fighting and saw lots of guys with trench coats. So at least for the first winter they will do.
Now all they need are guys with 75, 90 and 54mm recoil less rifles. Bazooka's and super Bazooka's. War cooled 30cals. Etc
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
Okay I'll do that imminently... it's no trouble.

...and yes, you're right, there are quite a few pics of greatcoats in Korea, although I suspect they are from the Winter of 1950 he said hoping to save face.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 09:14:36 PM »
yes 1950, I posted late and was trying to say winter of 1950 and early spring 1951. I failed

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Now all they need are guys with 75, 90 and 54mm recoil less rifles. Bazooka's and super Bazooka's. War cooled 30cals. Etc

So pretty much everything except the 81mm Mortar and M1919 and of course the enemy.  lol

I do think they do look better than some of the usual Warlord figures though.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2015, 07:32:46 PM »
So pretty much everything except the 81mm Mortar and M1919 and of course the enemy.  lol

I do think they do look better than some of the usual Warlord figures though.
Right!  ::)

Now I just need 35 sculpts for mid-late war US and at least 26 for DPRK troops...not including heads and weapons that might not have sculpts already. You know just to start....And that's with out battalion level support....I need to make more money.  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »
Ok juggled the numbers a little bit now and here is what I got.

in mixed m-43 and m-51 uniforms, M-1943 (Double Buckle) and M1948 Russet Combat Boots.

Platoon HQ US

1 LT with Carbine, 45, possible walky talky style radio (RTO training failing me, can not remember what its designation was)
Platoon sergeant and staff NCO with Carbines or M3A1
And 2 Runners. I am thinking of making them the Foo section because the rifle sections with have five men each and the extra man can fill the runners role. Because from what I have read the US army moved to a nine man squad by the time of Korea.

two, Five man squad packs.

rifle section 1
1 NCO carbine
1 BAR 1918A2
1 Ammo barrier(AB) armed with M1
2 Riflemen armed with M1

rifle section 2
1 NCO rifle or Carbine
1 BAR
1 m1 rifle with L7 Launcher.
1 rifleman
1 m1c marksmen.
This is where the extra rifle man comes in. You can field the m1c marksmen rifle and have and extra figure to add as you see fit. Or remove the scope and he is just a reagular extra M1 rifle men.

Light MG section. M1919A6
2 team moving to emplace
2 team emplaced. 
Do you think one extra figure to represent an AB should be added to the team making it 5?

Final Platoon support.
2 man Rocket team with M20
1 medic
1 casualty
option for another fig or leave as is.

Company assets.
57mm Recoils rifle team 
60mm motors
Can ether make this into one pack of 4 or make it into 2 packs each deploying and employing the guns.
Same with the Regimental assets, M2, 80mm mortar..etc 

heads will be
Winter Pile Hat
mixed M43 and M51 Field caps
M1 helmets bare with maybe a set of goggles on one of them
M1 with cover for the USMC and the Hanson sack covered ones.

Now for DPRK
a lot simpler. Summer uniforms.
5 man rifle section. Ok at a lost for what kind of rifles to give them. Should they all be mosin-nagant or should I add some thing else?

5 man PPSh section.

5 man Light Machinegun section with
2 men armed with DP LMG (one advancing another on the ground firing it)
3 riflemen (AB's) have at least one handing ammo at the ready for the DP gunner on the ground.

5 man command section
1 officer
3 NCOs
1 medic
1 cashilty

company assets. 

61mm motars
Anti-tank Rifle
And another LMG section. I am guessing these would be crew served LMGS but not sure.

regimental support

45mm AT
PM M1910 (Machine Gun)
etc

heads
Field caps
Field caps with foliage
Soviet helmet
Soviet helmet with foliage.

thought an ideas? 

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »
That seems a very well thought out plan to me. Personally I like the idea of both moving and deployed weapon teams, although other peoples' mileage might vary. Good call on the U.S. packs too, the 'two-BAR' squads were later rather than earlier, so with things as you've planned, you can take out one BAR guy for 'early' and swap a rifleman out for him later. With the choice of two BARs the squads won't look so samey.

I'm tempted to say that the Lt probably wouldn't carry the Walkie-Talkie himself, only using it when he had to, so I guess one of the G.I.s carried that for him and took his calls.

For the DPRK, from what I can gather the predominant rifle was the Moisin-Nagant in both rifle and carbine forms. The Japanese Type 30/38 & 99 coming in second place. As time went by more PPSh's appeared and were preferred for the firepower they could throw out. All I can suggest is that whichever rifle you choose, stick to one type (i.e. MN or Japanese) across the range; I don't see units mixing types myself.

Nice, hope it comes off!  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:09:32 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
Looks a good list.  Now you need to work up the UN forces  lol

How far along are you with it?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »
 Moisin-Nagant it is then for the DPRK forces then. Makes things easier on the Logistics train and will tie them in better with the Peoples volunteers when I try to take on that group....and maybe later if this kicks off can have a few sets of mixed U.N. weapons.

So Still thinking DPRK force first then, with the US 2nd or around the same time.

And that's kind of what I was going for with the two BARs, if and when I get this thing started I would also eventually like to make a few extra sets say with every one armed with M3A1s or Carbines to mix and match the squads even more. But for now at least try to stick to the basic TO&E.

Also I agree with the Walkie-talkie. Most of the time when I was an RTO, I was just the LTs and Platoon sergeants shadow, relaying messages, calling for support, while the FOO would be on the fires communicating with what ever assist we might have on hand. usually had two mikes and a platoon net radio on my person at all times. And when the they needed to call out they just grabbed one mike off my chest or more usually just had me report in.
So have the Radio guys, one with a man pack and the other with the walkiy talking. That leaves 3 figers in the Plt HQ with different posses that can be changed out in the squad sections to represent their NCOS if so desired.

And the idea I have with the Deployed and set weapons teams, is that at least for the smaller support weapon teams. (30 cal LMG, 60mm motar) it allows for folks to field them as two different teams they so desire. And for the more fiddling folks like us can have them represent the same team only in different stages.

Mike Bravo: Well the list is as you see it so far. Still need to figure out the money thing and get a sculptor that has no problem doing historically accurate figures and is also up to the standard that I think the conflict deserves. (Empress, some Bolt-action WW2, Eureka and some of the Figs you commissioned look about what I am aiming for.

Now Lucky for me that most of the U.N. forces drew their weapons, kit, and uniforms from US stores. After the first winter I am pretty sure you could represent most of the groups with just a slightly different paint...At least for the Turks, Tai, Filipino, Ethiopian's etc.  Might commotion just different heads for these guys.
Now I will have to check on some of the Other European forces to make sure that their uniforms and weapons didn't differ to much from this. I am not sure what the French or Greeks used and I believe the Belgians deployed with a camo jacket of some kind.
I am thinking the biggest hurdle will be the ROK troops and Commonwealth troops.
ROK because I have to decide if I want to use the American figs with different heads, or actually commission a whole line represent them.
And then of course for the Commonwealth troops it comes down to different kit, uniforms, weapons. every thing. And then to make it more fun you guys have slightly different uniforms, headgear and even a few weapons that on other nation has.  lol

I would love to do commonwealth after I get the US, DPRK, ROK and Chines knocked out.

Would also like to make or covenant the GIs to having flak vest eventually to look like the Joes in "Pork chop hill" too.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
I seem to recall that 41 Ind. Commando Royal Marines, were completely kitted out with U.S.M.C. uniforms and weapons, apart from the green beret when not wearing their M1 helmets obviously. Some things you just don't give up.

As far as I know the Greeks wore U.S. Kit (if not British-style battledress initially). The French if not like-wise kitted out, would wear the same uniforms as for Indochina... so no problems there. The British can be covered by 'turtle-helmeted' WWII (or beret/knitted 'commando caps'), although strictly speaking the open-necked battledress jacket had replaced the close-necked WWII type (although that too could be buttoned up to the neck). A green stuff scarf will work wonders if it doesn't look right to anyone though.  

It's going to be a long haul and the extras can come in good time... Koreans, U.S. and Chinese are the core elements and I'm sure will drive any interest, the rest can come later and be funded by the success of the initial packs... if you can't sell the headliners, I'm sure you won't sell the supporting acts. Company B (amongst others) do the main vehicles and I don't doubt might be inclined to tackle anything missing with enough encouragement.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:54:14 PM by Arlequín »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Alas nobody makes Mk III/IV/V 'turtle' helmets in 28mm, save for some rather indistinct and heavily scrimmed ones in the Gripping Beast -Mofo line. I've been after some for conversion purposes. I'm hoping that when and if Wargames Factory get around to doing a WW2 British set there will be helmets in there. Actually WF are bloody good in this respect, you get heaps of spare head variants, so they are an excellent source of spares.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:02 AM »
So pretty much what I thought.  :D

Offline predhead

• Assistant
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
This is a perfect topic for folks to share on the Korean War Gaming Forum:

http://foxcompany.freeforums.org/portal.php

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2016, 06:47:12 PM »
Thank you for the link

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:27 PM »
Found this pod cast on said Korean conflict.
https://koreanwarpodcast.com/2015/09/