Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Can someone comment on 'A Touch of Evil'?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
Can someone comment on 'A Touch of Evil'?
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
Flying Frog A touch of Evil  is a board game (with some miniatures) of gothic horror set in the age of tricornes -what is sometimes called Lacepulp / 18th C. Pulp

The game seems to enjoy rather favorable comments. Yet a weakness of several board games is that 'it may be difficult to find them as exciting as it was during the first "fresh" play through': one cannot really replay them many times;  and this point was not addressed in the critics I read. 8 expansions are published so far, which seems a positive point;  but it is not unknown that, like in the CCG market, 'cheesy' expansions / booster packs is sometimes basically intended to make the material already bought quasi-obsolete?
So, can someone enlighten us, please?

(source)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: Can someone comment on 'A Touch of Evil'?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:42:56 PM »
I have the base game, the first hero box and "Something Wicked" large box expansion. There are also two or three villains available to download from their website.

With all that stuff I think your amount of replayability is extremely high. The game can be played solo, collaboratively (alone or in teams), or competitively (again in teams or single players). If you have a small number of players I wouldn't recommend using any of the large board expansions, because the traveling distances become rather tiresome.

The cards and components are excellent. I've heard of people spilling coke on the cards, rinsing them off and not having any problems. The figures are very close to 28mm / 30mm scale and are very good looking. I haven't painted mine, but I've considered it more than once.

I really enjoy the game and it's one of the few that the gf will actually ask to play, so I consider that high marks.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:40:38 PM »
I have Touch of Evil and both The Something Wicked and The Coast expansions.  I purchased both Character Packs and the card expansions as well.  I do enjoy the game.  My Wife and 9 year old son enjoy playing as well so it is a nice family game for us.  I introduced it to others in my gaming circle and a couple of others picked it up as well.

You could probably do without the card expansions. In my opinion they don't add much to the game.  What I do like is that the game can be played in a cooperative mode.  I enjoy cooperative games and it makes it more fun for me to play with the family in that mode.  There is also competitive game play as well.

The minis are nice, for plastic, but are a bit on the thin side. They do look nice painted up. 

I highly recommend this game.  If you like cooperative games it is a must.

Hope this helps,
Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
  • If we don't end war, war will end us.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
I find it has very good replay value as you can end up with different minions, bad guys and characters each time. Plus it appeals to nearly everyone - even my wife plays and it is one of only two games (the other is Last night on earth) where she will actually play a full game without being bored.
I like the game, the system and the products that accompany it.

Just my two cents.
To join INEPTT Yahoo Group email me at - inep-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
or visit the site here - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/INEP/info