Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Games Workshop's Great War (or GW GW)  (Read 19813 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Games Workshop's Great War (or GW GW)
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »
The book has hit the stores!

http://www.warhammer-historical.com/great-war/great-war.asp

does anybody know anything about it? does it follow the same mechanics as the Legends of the Old West/High Seas? or is it something new?

the info is on the TGN:
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/04/29/14163
Cheers,
Pedro

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
I've ordered it (after criticizing folks for being gaming sheep and buying whatever they're told to* :) ). I'll let you know what the rules are like as soon as it comes.

*Well it's the Great War, and that's one of my main things!
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »
Cooo.... sounds interesting....
Probably not in the 'Legends' format, but closer to Warhammer Ancients without marching in ranks, I'd guess.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
I'm quite happy with the T&T for the XX century conflicts!

but if GWGW sticks with the same mechanics as the legends-of-the-everything-else then it could be very fun to use for section to section fight (in a very small skirmish mindset) - and it will be easier for me to get the attention of the other Portuguese Gamers

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Yes, after one game of T&T I certainly want to use it again, and I also enjoy Price of Glory for Great War gaming.

But a shiny new book is always nice, even if I never play it. The GW pretty pictures and such will probably keep me inspired and help me finish painting my First World War figures.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
I'm also happy with T&T and like the Iron Ivan rules engine...but I'll also probably pick up the GW book to drool over the pretty pictures.

What the hell is wrong with us?!? :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:12 PM »
Well, they've been building up the steam for this release. I suppose this is the proverbial balloon going up. I'm going to be interested to see how the army lists work.

On the mechanics end of things, EDIT: I'm not thrilled they're using 40K as the core mechanic. I know people called 40K "WWI in Space" but that's no reason to, you know, bring it home to roost. Unless British swagger sticks and Prussian monocles count as wargear.

I have to admit that I'm growing very fond of the way T&T and the forthcoming This Quar's War handle squad action.

Still, if this gets more people buying WWI, very good!

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 05:12:30 PM »
This one is based on Warhammer 40,000 as far as I know, rather than LoTR.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
Dunno what others think, but the focus of the rules (the open warfare of 1914 and 1918) seems a little odd. I know that these are probably the periods most people play, as trench warfare is thought not to be very playable, but to bring out a Great War set that ignores what was for most soldiers involved the defining experience of that conflict seems a little odd to say the least.

Seems rather like bringing out a set of rules for the Battle of the Atlantic and then saying "rules for U-Boats are planned to be included in the first supplement."

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
I feel like I'm spoiled for rules these days, since there are so many good rules sets out there. First of all, there are lots of good ideas in these rules. People seem to have gotten out of the "buckets of d6" approach to everything, and lots of cunning little mechanisms have sprung up to create tension in the games. So it is no longer about "Gee, I hope I make at least four 5+ rolls this time!" but the action seems tied tighter to the game. Secondly, there's a rules system that'll scale to any action. If I want to throw five guys or fifty guys, I know there's a system that'll cut the mustard. Third, these game designers think the way I do: I want heroic heroes doing nearly superhuman things and squads of nameless extras who will charge or shoot or die in droves as I send them in. And finally, and this is key, I know many of these rules writers, either electronically or in person, and this element really brings it home for me.

So it's not like I need GW's permission to game a period. I'm glad they're looking at the time period, because it can only help get people interested in it, and that means cooler models for me, but I'm not counting on them to set the Gold Standard for rules in that period.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
...squads of nameless extras who will charge or shoot or die in droves as I send them in...

luckily there are no lead soldier widows! :)
But thinking again -> the real widows didn't stop the European powers in '14 :?

Quote from: "PeteMurray"
So it's not like I need GW's permission to game a period. I'm glad they're looking at the time period, because it can only help get people interested in it,...

I can not agree more!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Dunno what others think, but the focus of the rules (the open warfare of 1914 and 1918) seems a little odd. I know that these are probably the periods most people play, as trench warfare is thought not to be very playable, but to bring out a Great War set that ignores what was for most soldiers involved the defining experience of that conflict seems a little odd to say the least.

Seems rather like bringing out a set of rules for the Battle of the Atlantic and then saying "rules for U-Boats are planned to be included in the first supplement."

Brace your self for the next in the series. Entitled "Over the Top" according to preview in WSS no.32

You can gleen a bit more about the rules here, you need to ferret through the various posts though.

http://www.wabforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=58

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
I've just ordered it as well - doubt I'll play a game using the rules but the eye-candy pictures in GW books are always worth it   :D

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
Going to buy it , got some 15mm WW1 stuff  doing nothing at moment

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
  • Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
I'll be waiting for a critical reveiw of the product first. I've heard it's re-packaged and re-labelled 40K also. Plus I'm also a bit bothered that Russians and Austrians didn't make the first cut.
Chickens got livers? I'm gettin some!