Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690802
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Games Workshop's Great War (or GW GW)  (Read 19959 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Games Workshop's Great War (or GW GW)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
Quote from: "Synflood"
I'll be waiting for a critical reveiw of the product first. I've heard it's re-packaged and re-labelled 40K also. Plus I'm also a bit bothered that Russians and Austrians didn't make the first cut.

And the Serbians and other Balkan contenders 8)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:54 PM »
I'll definately buy it as I have a stack of Renegade WWI French models waiting for some TLC.  I may wait until someone like North Star brings out a freebie model though  :wink:

Offline DRDHauser

• Bookworm
  • Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »
[quote="Helen Bachaus] And the Serbians and other Balkan contenders 8)[/quote]

Exactly!   :)
Chickens got livers? I'm gettin some!

Offline pbeccas

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 01:48:19 AM »
I've ordered my copy.
There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat"
Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
Quote from: "Synflood"
I'll be waiting for a critical reveiw of the product first. I've heard it's re-packaged and re-labelled 40K also. Plus I'm also a bit bothered that Russians and Austrians didn't make the first cut.

To be honest I think they will have changed it quite a bit. Not a period I have any interest in, but I have played some test games of a WAB Moderns version and they work very well with some interesting new mechanisms which use some of the core features but include a lot of new ones too

One thing that will be good for it is that it will spur on a lot of manufacturers (it has done already methinks) and have the ability to give some shiny gloss to a rather drab period which other than side show theatres of war (Africa and Galipolli campaign) tends to be a bit drab

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 09:11:51 AM »
I see what you're saying, but it saddens me that there seems such a lack of imagination in gamers that they are willing to be led around by the nose like this, and a period is deemed drab until Games Workshop comes along and 'fixes' it for us, suddenly making it a fascinating period to play.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I see what you're saying, but it saddens me that there seems such a lack of imagination in gamers that they are willing to be led around by the nose like this, and a period is deemed drab until Games Workshop comes along and 'fixes' it for us, suddenly making it a fascinating period to play.

Just watch the beast in motion Poly. I suppose the benefit for those who gamed the period prior to its release(and this would relate to ancients, medievals etc from WAB and wild west, pirates-hopw many ranges have appeared?) will reap the rewards as new companies release more figures and then expand into more and more armies, AFVs etc

It is one thing I have noticed with the GW product its fan base will drive the sales and production of miniatures more than any other sets of rules to be honest.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »
Yes, this whole thing has me torn in two. On the one hand I am delighted at the prospect of increased interest in Great War gaming, and the new shiny stuff that will be available to buy because of it.

On the other hand I'm not looking forward to hordes of Games Workshop drones marching in with their tournament and army list mentality, sucking all the fun out of everything, and am mystified by folks who cannot decide for themselves what periods they are interested in and just follow the whims of fashion.

But I am in danger of sounding like a broken record on this topic, so I think I should just leave it.  :)

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
I don't know - if a large bunch of teenagers start taking interest in WWI via this book, all the better.  At least it might promote some respect for servicemen...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
Quote from: "Darren"
I don't know - if a large bunch of teenagers start taking interest in WWI via this book, all the better.  At least it might promote some respect for servicemen...

It will certainly give them a reason to read their text books thats for sure.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

On the other hand I'm not looking forward to hordes of Games Workshop drones marching in with their tournament and army list mentality, sucking all the fun out of everything, and am mystified by folks who cannot decide for themselves what periods they are interested in and just follow the whims of fashion.

i don't see the problem. I won't use any 40K-based rules (it's really a stupid system with most games decided by the first dice roll - who goes first), so they won't get in my way and I have the benefits of more nice Miniatures available because of a growing market.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Yes, I guess you are right. One of my gaming circle is a teenage GW addict, but he will play any game placed in front of him, and strenuously denies our light-hearted 'fanboy' taunts.

So there isn't much danger of our group being overwhelmed by such people. I was really thinking about it happening on internet forums. "That's not right coz it isn't in the codex!" kind of thing. But even then, a reasonable person should be able to avoid or ignore such people on the net.

So you are quite right really, I'm fretting about nothing.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
It's based on 40K 3rd edition which should be a a very good engine for WW1 games. You move forward and shoot. The basic rules worked very well back then and were broken by special rules in the later Codexes, something that is unlikely to happen with WW1.

I don't see the point for the usual crying about a GW product. First WHW has nothing in common with GWs main gaming systems and then it's not their fault that nobody has been able to come up with a WW1 system that works for 28mm and is commonly accepted. The only alternative rules I'm aware of are CLA which I don't think to be the holy grail in minature games (but that is only my personal taste).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
Quote from: "Mike D. Mc Brice"
It's based on 40K 3rd edition which should be a a very good engine for WW1 games. You move forward and shoot. The basic rules worked very well back then and were broken by special rules in the later Codexes, something that is unlikely to happen with WW1.

I don't see the point for the usual crying about a GW product. First WHW has nothing in common with GWs main gaming systems and then it's not their fault that nobody has been able to come up with a WW1 system that works for 28mm and is commonly accepted. The only alternative rules I'm aware of are CLA which I don't think to be the holy grail in minature games (but that is only my personal taste).

Have to agree CLA leaves or left me cold, I used Arc of Fire for the games I did play and like Plynikes the scenario book for Rommel :mrgreen:

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
The Great War rules are at Brigade level with a platoon the smallest unit. A platoon comes to around 10-15 figures, so you can expect 100-150 figures a side and not small scale skirmish rules. Most armies field a lot of riflemen.