Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Combat!' recruiting notice - playtesters wanted!  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
'Combat!' recruiting notice - playtesters wanted!
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
How would you like to try a WWII squad level game which lasted an hour, played on a card table, ran on a system of cards and dice, and cared more about what happened to PFC Vinnie Vermicelli from Brooklyn (“This is my fiancée, Angela, at Coney island last summer – check out the gams!”) than the precise fragmentation radius of a No. 6 grenade? Lead a squad in Normandy in this fast, personality-driven game of Combat!

I’m looking for a few good men (women too, and kids if you have any) to read and playtest ‘Combat!”, a rules system for a boxed game with miniatures. This is a commercial project, to be produced with a modular game board and figures by a well-known sculptor.

Combat will be, in essence, a very simple WWII squad level game aimed at a ‘novice wargamer’ audience, either eleven year old boys moving into ‘real wargaming’ from the toy ‘army men’/action figure level of play, or adult hobbyists with an interest in WWII (the guys who watch the History Channel and but Military History magazine) but no background in wargaming. Combat! will also be interesting enough to appeal to established wargamers. We will do this by making it fast and full of decision points that really matter.

•   Each game should last about an hour. It will be played in a small space – usually a 2’x2’ or 2’x4’ board. It will be card-driven, with a ‘SNAFU’ deck providing unexpected events.

•   The players will take the roles of squad leaders, commanding a squad/section/gruppe of about 8-12 men equipped as their historical counterparts in WWII.

•   Each figure will have a name and some personal abilities that mark one soldier from another – “marksman”, “brave”, “clumsy” etc – and a brief line of backstory to make him into a real person rather than ‘rifleman #7 – the one with the camo netting on his helmet’ as if often typical of traditional wargames - is PFC Vinnie Vermicelli from Brooklyn, the hot tempered Italian kid who must rescue a puppy every second game. He’ll run fast, and sometimes he won’t keep his head low. This ‘individual’ aspect, although kept at a simple level, is important in creating the character of the squad, which each player can maintain and develop through subsequent games.

This will involve a certain amount of reading, playtesting and generally contributing on a voluntary basis, so if you are interested, let me know directly at professorbellbuckle@yahoo.com

Go to -  http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/CombatDesignGroup/  and I’ll fix you right up! Take that foxhole over there, and share your smokes with the other guys!
I do all my own stunts

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:55 AM »
Intriguing!

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:03:01 AM »
I'm in, I've been looking for an excuse to give WW2 another go.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
Sounds reasonable.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »
Reasonable? Don't call me reasonable!  :lol:

I'd be especially happy if any of our German friends who game WWII came over. Since I'm trying to portray German soldiers as actual humans rather than as A) brainwashed Aryan killing machines, or B) nameless weapons systems whose lives and deaths are reduced simply to "Number 4 is down, so I get only three dice to shoot this time", I'd like some input there.

If only to make sure that none of the German soldiers have stupid names.