Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old West figure comparison  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
Old West figure comparison
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
As promised in the Cullen Bohannon thread, here is an updated photo of my comparison photo which includes the new Dead Man's Hand mini of Cullen. Please bear in mind he leans forward slightly compared to the others so may appear shorter than he is. I know I'm missing quite a few companies from this comparison; I hope to remedy that in the near future and I'll update this thread when I can.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old West figure comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
Excellent! Well done Gutbukkit.  8)

Those Black Scorpions don't look too bad next to the others, you haven't chopped their feet off or anything have you?  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
 lol Nope nothing so drastic. The only trickery I have used is to keep the figures on their integral bases and luckily Black Scorpion use tabs for slottas so it balances out.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
Hmmn, not to different at all, even the styles look about right together.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
As it happens, I have a bunch of Artizan Design figures I ma painting for a friend.  I just held a fairly erect one up against a fairly erect BlBS figure is a head taller than the Artizan and a bit heftier.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
The Black Scorpion mexican figures look great - I have some Reaper figs that are about the same size. If I could get them in metal I might buy some but not that keen on resin skirmish figures.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
lol Nope nothing so drastic. The only trickery I have used is to keep the figures on their integral bases and luckily Black Scorpion use tabs for slottas so it balances out.

I do exactly the same and it works quite well. At least once on the gaming table it is near to perfect.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
The Black Scorpion mexican figures look great - I have some Reaper figs that are about the same size. If I could get them in metal I might buy some but not that keen on resin skirmish figures.

I love the Black Scorpion range, especially the mexicans. I want to get more but I'm not a huge fan of resin, only cos the weight isn't there that I like in a skirmish miniature.

I do exactly the same and it works quite well. At least once on the gaming table it is near to perfect.

Yep. They look close enough in scale for me on the table. The only ones I can't get to fit are the early Foundry range but I have few enough of those it does not bother me so much.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
I think that when painted in the same style, those figures could all happily co-exist in the same collection. Nice comparison shot.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
This thread reminds me how much I want to buy the Brigade Games bushwacker set...so freakin' cool.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
This thread reminds me how much I want to buy the Brigade Games bushwacker set...so freakin' cool.  lol

The bushwacker set is probably my favourite set from Brigade amongst their other great Old West range. I wish they'd make some more with different poses/weapons.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
My Wargames Foundry figs are in two different scales by different sculptors.  The one you have in the pic is the larger of the two.  I took my new Tombstone II Black Scorpion pack and put the Pinkerton next to my two Foundry Pinkertons and the Black Scorpion one is HUGE.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Yep. As mention earlier I have some of the smaller foundry and they look far too small against all of them but especially against the Black Scorpion figures. I'll restrict their use to bystanders and townsfolk. As much as I'm not too bothered by the scale differences, not even I could use the smaller foundry in the same posse as Black Scorpion.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
I'd also avoid Knuckleduster and Black Scorpion as there is a rather serious size difference, though I haven't properly based any of my Knuckleduster guys so maybe I could minimize that a bit.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »
I'm happy waiting on new releases from Black Scorpion.  According to "Ramona", they are far from finished with the Tombstone range.  I'd rather wait than worry about compatibility.  I've already sent Ramona a long wish list.
The only concession I've made is to add a bunch of O Gauge railroad people as additional townsfolk.  I actually cut their legs just above the foot, and bulked them up by priming with white paint mixed with Acrylic Gel Medium.