Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anglo Saxon Church, village and other dark age scenery finished!  (Read 19063 times)

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
Hi all,

Thought I would post up the first pics of a church and a couple of hovels that I started today. The vikings will be arriving soon and will need a town to raid. More pics to follow soon :)

And the Army those pesky Northmen will have to get through! ;D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:10:24 PM by Sixmilletoe »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Anglo Saxon Church
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
Ahahahahaha

So much for sticking to one project  ;D

What are you going to use for the roofing material?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
I know, but at least I can count mine on one hand...for the meantime anyway! :)

Roofing will be teddy bear fur mate. What I am having difficulty deciding is what stone to use for the walls, and weather I should leave the windows open or not...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
Give the fur a trim with some clippers, it'll work a great when you come to cover it with pva.

You could render it and leave the quoins bare, quick and easy or if you can wait a could of weeks I can get you some rough stonework sheeting that I've used on my peel tower in the WotR thread.

Are you basing on small bases or going to have them diorama style with plenty of space all the way round?

cheers

James

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »
Give the fur a trim with some clippers, it'll work a great when you come to cover it with pva.

You could render it and leave the quoins bare, quick and easy or if you can wait a could of weeks I can get you some rough stonework sheeting that I've used on my peel tower in the WotR thread.

Are you basing on small bases or going to have them diorama style with plenty of space all the way round?

cheers

James

I can see a use for these in our games, perhaps we should invite him around ;)

They are looking great so far :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
Lovely! :-*
Much more posh than my Saxon church - what's the material? Laser-cut polymer sheet of some kind?
Thanks for posting.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
what's the material? Laser-cut polymer sheet of some kind?

I´ll second that question.
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Nice start to things Chris!

Now I'm going to be a pedant. >:D

I believe that simple two cell churches wouldn't have the porch, just a plain door in the side or the end and the windows would be a lot smaller and much narrower.  :P
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »

cheers

James

The fur is left over stuff you gave me years ago! :) Wasn't planning on trimming it though, i'll have to do a test piece. I've got some 'random stone' sheeting on order from work, hopefully this will look appropraite. However if you want to give me some more variation of material Jim I won't say no! :D Yes they will by on small bases, they are big enough as they are!

Lovely! :-*
Much more posh than my Saxon church - what's the material? Laser-cut polymer sheet of some kind?
Thanks for posting.

It's clear Acrylic Mitch. I gave it a 'key' which is why it appears frosted.  

Thanks for all the comments guys! :)

Chris

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »

I believe that simple two cell churches wouldn't have the porch, just a plain door in the side or the end and the windows would be a lot smaller and much narrower.  :P

Hi Damas! How's thing's? :)

Noted. But I did do a little research for once :)

http://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/escomb/escomb.htm
http://english-church-architecture.net/shropshire/atcham/atcham.htm

I did think the windows a little on the large side though. May well modify this. But the question is, should they be glazed or left open?

Chris

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Hi Damas! How's thing's? :)

Noted. But I did do a little research for once :)

http://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/escomb/escomb.htm
http://english-church-architecture.net/shropshire/atcham/atcham.htm

I did think the windows a little on the large side though. May well modify this. But the question is, should they be glazed or left open?

Chris

Not bad, still waiting for a lie-in.  I think I'm due one in 2030 or so.  :?

The Escomb church is a good reference but the porch is a later addition.  You can tell from the door arch stonework which is from a later period, and the dressing of the main building stones.  The corners of the porch also look like they are Norman or later offset whereas the Anglo-Saxon main building quoins are regular and exibit a pattern similar to long-and-short work.  The large window and the very long one are also later additions with the two very small ones possibly being original.

As for the glazing, there wouldn't really be any for a church of this size and status, just very small and very deep set windows.

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
Not bad, still waiting for a lie-in.  I think I'm due one in 2030 or so.  :?

The Escomb church is a good reference but the porch is a later addition.  You can tell from the door arch stonework which is from a later period, and the dressing of the main building stones.  The corners of the porch also look like they are Norman or later offset whereas the Anglo-Saxon main building quoins are regular and exibit a pattern similar to long-and-short work.  The large window and the very long one are also later additions with the two very small ones possibly being original.

As for the glazing, there wouldn't really be any for a church of this size and status, just very small and very deep set windows.

lol I will be in the same boat shortly!

Thanks for the advise Kev, only wish I'd asked you sooner! I will fill in the windows for much smaller ones and lose the porch, although I do believe it gives it the 'church' feel. Still, historical accuracy over aesthetic!

Chris

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »

I'm minded to agree. Even large Anglo Saxon churches seem to be characterised by recessed doors, not porches. Still, saying that the archaeology is far from complete (the people looking after existing churches are loath to have a load of sweaty diggers come and knock the place down to look at previous incarnations of the building, for some strange reason! lol)

Based on my experience with the apse on my Sub-Roman church, I'll point out it's a lot easier to incorporate changes like this before you get it all assembled o_o

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Based on my experience with the apse on my Sub-Roman church, I'll point out it's a lot easier to incorporate changes like this before you get it all assembled o_o

Never fear! Where's there's a will (and a laser cutter) there's a way!  ;)

Chris

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Still, historical accuracy over aesthetic!

Like I said, I'm being a pedant!  ;D