Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690321
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Game's Afoot...  (Read 7748 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Game's Afoot...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »
Just as a slight note, a large proportion of Victorian London didn't have seperate pavements at the time. It's part of the reason for a step on every house.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Just as a slight note, a large proportion of Victorian London didn't have seperate pavements at the time. It's part of the reason for a step on every house.

Quite true for much of the urban area, particularly the poorer areas. Hector Green's commentary on Bethnal Green in 1848 mentions that very fact, adding that only in the past ten years had the 'chief roadways' been paved. I seem to recall a major paving work programme in part of London. It's referenced in one of my books so I can dig it out if anyone is interested? I'm slowly putting together a similar board to Yanjeepedlar anf wanted to include a wealthier area with pavements. It also helps to convey a sense of 'main street' and 'side street' hierarchy. I also want to use the same terrain for WWII and modern post-apoc! I'm undecided on what to do so take great interest in
others' ideas! I think Sarissa are supposed to be releasing some pavements?

All in all very good point to make, Dewbakuk!

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
A good point, but as I also want to use it through to 1940,and even beyond, then it will have some pavement areas. There will also be yards with walls & privies, which I believe are in the Oshiro pipeline.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
There will also be privies, which I believe are in the Oshiro pipeline.
He is the Privy King ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »
Very nice buildings, and I like how the whole is adaptable to other periods.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
Very nice!  Looking forward to seeing how this paints up.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
I've slipped a picture and link onto the IHMN blog  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
wanted to include a wealthier area with pavements. It also helps to convey a sense of 'main street' and 'side street' hierarchy.

All in all very good point to make, Dewbakuk!

A good point,

Thank you gentlemen, it's something that is often overlooked :)

With regards to wealthier areas, for the Victorian period, the better areas would have pavements, but they would also most likely be Georgian style buildings and town houses. It's unlikely to be Victorian architecture within the city. As time moves on of course, the larger Victorian houses become the residence of more wealthy people and they would all gain pavements (or at least a kerb row against the building). At least until more modern times when inner city areas tend to become rougher almost regardless of style.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
I'd like a clarification from Dewbakuk if he doesn't mind. When you say pavement are you referring to the walkway alongside the road or the road itself. For some reason I seem to recall that the term "pavement" in the UK is what Americans would call the sidewalk.

Thanks

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 11:05:56 PM »
Side walk is what he means based on the context of his comments, but in the US the word unpaved is also used to refer to backwoods roads without macadam(blacktop).

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
That's right, you guys call them sidewalks  ;)

The vast majority of roads would have been covered with either setts, bricks or cobbles depending on area and use. The very impoverished areas and working yards could still be compacted dirt though. The buildings on roads without pavements (sidewalks) opened straight onto the street, which as I said is one of the reasons for a front step to the doors.

Interestingly, in some locations, while there was no pavement they did have an area that was intended for pedestrian use beside the houses. This was depicted by altering the pattern of the covering. It's only really clear in pics that had the brick style road as it's obvious where they've been turned 90 degrees to show the area.

Given the vast number of horses and wagons in Victorian London however, I would be very surprised if they paid any attention to the pedestrian area of a road.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »
That's right, you guys call them sidewalks  ;)

The vast majority of roads would have been covered with either setts, bricks or cobbles depending on area and use. The very impoverished areas and working yards could still be compacted dirt though. The buildings on roads without pavements (sidewalks) opened straight onto the street, which as I said is one of the reasons for a front step to the doors.

Interestingly, in some locations, while there was no pavement they did have an area that was intended for pedestrian use beside the houses. This was depicted by altering the pattern of the covering. It's only really clear in pics that had the brick style road as it's obvious where they've been turned 90 degrees to show the area.

Given the vast number of horses and wagons in Victorian London however, I would be very surprised if they paid any attention to the pedestrian area of a road.
Ah, I've seen a picture like that from a BBC Show set, I thought they were cutting cost by not adding a curb.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Wood was also apparently used as a road covering. Basically wooden setts. Stone was considered very noisey so wood was utilised.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
You've made a grand start on those David  8)

It's true, pavements, backyards, outside toilets etc all all being worked on at the present. Still some sizes to work out regarding the pavements to make sure they work properly but hopefully they'll all be ready by the end of July  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
You've made a grand start on those David  8)
Thank you James! They all have the roofs slated now too.
It's true, pavements, backyards, outside toilets etc all all being worked on at the present. Still some sizes to work out regarding the pavements to make sure they work properly but hopefully they'll all be ready by the end of July  :)
Excellent news! I need two more houses it seems, one with a pub front if possible!

cheers

James