Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pet Peeve - Why are the Germans/Prussians always the enemy in VSF?  (Read 11151 times)

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
One of my pet peeves is the portrayal in many VSF games/systems of the Germans/Prussians as the enemy of Victorian Great Britain.  That is 20th century and is not of this period.  Bismarck's foreign policy had always been one of isolating France and being conciliatory towards Britain.  Germany doesn't seem threatening till 1898, when the young, new kaiser, Wilhelm II, "fires" Bismarck as Chancellor and begins to build a modern high seas fleet.  If you asked the average Victorian gentleman to name the probable enemies of Britain, his first choice would be the Russian Empire (note the Great Game, where the Russians are seen as threatening India) and the second would be the French (e.g. check out the Fashoda affair).  Prior to the 20th century, there are many connections between Germany and Britain.  Also, the German and Austrian empires in this period are not congruent - they went to war in 1866 and weren't allied until the early 20th century.     

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pet Peeve - Why are the Germans/Prussians always the enemy in VSF?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
I think that it has more to do with the Germans looking cool. And remember its VSF. My Dutch Army is way more threatening than its actual counterpart.

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
They aren't. If it wasn't for the British Empire the solar system would be ruled by foreigners and natives.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
They aren't. If it wasn't for the British Empire the solar system would be ruled by foreigners and natives.

lol lol lol

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
Being half Brit and half German, I both scoff and feel your pain.

That said, as my mother's family was mostly from Hannover(grandfather and grandmother were more fluent in German than English), I actually think it's perfectly true about the Prussians...  lol

Instead of complaining, re-write non-history! My stalled hidden dwarf wars, where VSF Brit and Prussian dwarves battle non stop in the shadows, my  stuntie Brits had a nefarious plot to transport a large missile to the peaceful mountains of Ruritania, and bomb the begeberzes out of uppity folk who wouldn't bow to the Queen (Gawd bless 'er!). Only thing standing in the way was the group of lads of the Giant Trooper mechanical walker (had a near proper German version of that, but misplaced same).

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »
Perhaps strangely as the author of The Society of Thule I don't see them as the bad guys. You will note that they are not characterised as bad guys in their description, nor have they any particular enmity to Great Britain. It is true that Lord Curr and Count von Stroheim have their own personal feud, but that is because they both loved and lost the same woman (this may one day be explained in full...).
At this point Britain and Prussia/Germany had been allies for over two hundred years, with British troops frequently deploying to the continent to assist Germany, and Germany marching to rescue Wellington at Waterloo.
The Society is looking for full German reunification by any means, which makes the French in particular somewhat threatened by them. They are Germany's heroes  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well-founded: their operas last three or four days; and they have no word for `fluffy'."

There you have it  ;)

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
I don't know about that. I have Russians & French for opposition to my British. And of course a lot of native armies.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I agree with Chairface. I suspect the uniform has a lot to do with it. With regards to the 'traditional'enemies though:

Until recently, making a Russian force was not a very easy prospect and even I (who has a reputation for converted armies) was daunted by the prospect although I kept looking at it. There are now a couple of nice ranges to choose from so we may start to see more Russian forces.

As for the French.... well, they're French...... ;)
Seriously though, we've talked about it in our group and it was a simple thing of people not wanting to do a French force.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
I always prefer playing against the Japanese because their aeronefs are dead easy to shoot down ;) :D lol
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
I'm Bavarian, tradition demands me to oppose Prussians and their like whereever encountered lol

I just wonder why there are so view Bavarian army lists in VSF. I demand to fight the Fritzs with my own people.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:16:18 PM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
I'm Bavarian, tradition demands me to oppose Prussians and their like whereever encountered lol

I just wonder why there are so view Bavarian army lists in VSF. I demand to fight the Fritzs with my own people.  ;)

Again, don't complain about the lack, crank some out!

Anyway, we ALL know why you don't see them; they are also in the shadows. It was the Bavarian Illuminati that orchestrated the dust up twixt my peace-loving dwarves, don't you know.

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

Then write your own company Herr Glitzer! After all we could allow Lederhosen to count as a Lined Coat because of its distraction characteristic  lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
I always prefer playing against the Japanese because their aeronefs are dead easy to shoot down ;) :D lol

Piss off you  ;D ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Funny, I always make the Brits the "Bad Guys" in my VSF games  :o  lol on Earth (Venus only involves natives and the Spanish "civilizing" forces.)  Something about being Spanish-Scots-Dutch-German Jewish and Irish-French-Cherokee in my heritage just delights in doing that.

Though the "Cherokee Illuminati" are lurking in the background as advisors to the non-reptilian natives of Venus (the reptiles think all Earth people taste good.)  Actually I just made that last bit up - but it seems to have potential...  Need to think on that a while...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!