Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gandalf's thread of stuff - aSoIaF kitbashes, Oathmark etc.  (Read 46842 times)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
Re: Human Medieval Fantasy/aSoIaF Army
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
Modhall: Indeed! You are actually the first one to notice, except for a friend who saw the model IRL. Ser Anthony of House Stark it is. ;D

CaptainBlood & OLeary & PatrickWR: Many thanks, it is much appreciated.

Eric(eMills): I attach a size comparison. Terrible photo, but it should serve its purpose.

From left to right:
Teutonic Knight(generic frame), WotR command frame, Teutonic Knight(generic frame), WotR infantry, Foot Serjeant, WotR infantry, Foot Serjeant.... etc.

As you can see, the difference is not insignificant. Notice that the bases of the FF models, which I have modified only in width, not height, is a few 1/10ths of a milimeter higher than the Perry minis.
The FF models are not in perfect scale with each other either: the arms of mounted troops are thinner than the infantry counterpart... but the difference is hardly noticeable. The beesbury knight has a infantry right arm and cavalry left arm, if you want to try to see the difference.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:58:59 PM by Gandalf the G »

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Fireforge horses are a bit bigger than Perry ones too, not massively different though.

Enjoying seeing the armies come together!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
Really liking your figs and your knights are beautiful with some really cleanly done heraldry.

One question though. Are you planning on balasting, flocking or otherwise basing the models?  They're such lovely paintjobs, but they appear to be standing on asphalt mounds!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
This is coming together really well and the comparison pic is VERY useful.
Loving those paintjobs!
 :-*

The Beesbury Knight is my favourite so far.
 8)

One question: Where is the mounted fella from here from:

Reinforcements for Gregor Clegane:
1 rider
3 footmen

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
max: Indeed, there is a slight difference, but even less noticeble than between the infantry models.

ellif: yes, they will all be based eventually. Don't yet know ehere, when or how.

Mason: Thanks! I really enjoyed painting the Beesbury knight. I usually paint several models at the time, and finish a bunch at the same time, but this guy was painted from start to finish in one evening. I really enjoyed painting it.
The Clegane riders are all simple kitbashes using various FF kits.
Heads and spear arms: generic infantry knight frame
Horse, body, and shields+arm: various Templar Knights cavalry frames

It seems to me like Fireforge have a tendency to reuse a lot of parts. For example, the heads on the generic infantry knight frames are mostly identical to the Foot Serjeant heads, except with chainmail hoods instead of cloth. I believe the only difference between the three cavalry kits are their heads, teutonic and templar infantry share a sprue, and the "command sprues" in those kits are very similar indeed.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
Thanks for that GtheG!

I may have to take a look at the FF stuff a little more closely.
They may be what I am looking for....

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Eric(eMills): I attach a size comparison. Terrible photo, but it should serve its purpose.

From left to right:
Teutonic Knight(generic frame), WotR command frame, Teutonic Knight(generic frame), WotR infantry, Foot Serjeant, WotR infantry, Foot Serjeant.... etc.

As you can see, the difference is not insignificant. Notice that the bases of the FF models, which I have modified only in width, not height, is a few 1/10ths of a milimeter higher than the Perry minis.
The FF models are not in perfect scale with each other either: the arms of mounted troops are thinner than the infantry counterpart... but the difference is hardly noticeable. The beesbury knight has a infantry right arm and cavalry left arm, if you want to try to see the difference.

Thanks very much for that.  Seems they will look fine together as long as they are mixed.  Having a warband from just one set next to a warband from just the other set may look odd though.

Much appreciated.

~Eric

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
Mason & Eric: You are very welcome. Just ask if you want to know anything else.

Last knight I finished another... knight.(That was a funny misspelling.)
Again it is based on heraldry from an old brettonia book, but the original simply had a white coat with a purple cross and a red-painted helmet. It looked fine, and medieval enough.
What I did with that colorscheme reminds me of a Nike sneaker.
I don't hate it by any means, I think it looks pretty cool... but it doesn't look like a medieval knight.White and grey  in combination is apparently a big no-no for heraldry, and I dont know when people started using lavender on their shields. I think even the ordinary is pretty unauthentic.
Let me know what you think, and if there are any heraldry experts among you... have no mercy. Mercy is for the weak.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Another Fireforge knight is done.

These five riders could represent Knightly Orders in WHFB, while the harnessed Perry knights are Inner Circle knights. I am currently painting another one of those to fill out the movement tray. Some more Perry crossbowmen and an archer are also currently on the painting table, along with more Clegane troops and Edmure Tully.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
More cool knights!

I think the white and grey looks fine. I think black and white was used, so why not white and grey?

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
Tiny update: I've been in my parents house over the weekend, and I felt like painting a little bit. I assembled and basecoated a few figures(despite having a dozen half finished on the painting table) and focused on a FF foot knight.
I dont have a good camera here, so I had to take a picture with my webcam. Sorry bout that.
Anyway, the knight has heraldry designed by myself. The bird is supposed to be an eagle, but looks more like a parrot. Still, I am quite happy with the figure.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »
An addition to my Tully warband: Edmure Tully! He is the leader/warlord.
I'm quite happy with the trout on his shield.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
These are the other models that I have painted over the christmas break:

The knight you have seen before, together with a Clegane soldier.

Three Lannister archers, one mounted man-at-arms, one crossbowman and a random dude with a spear whose role is still a bit unclear. Also two bases of arrows in the ground. If I add these to fill out my archer units I will have two units of ten archers.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
A couple of army shots.

The army as it stands:

20 Halberdiers with commanders
6 Elite fighters
6 Mounted Men-at-Arms with commanders
20 Archers
6 crossbowmen
Amory Lorch(can be seen in the halberdiers unit)
1 Costillier of house Lannister
7 fighters from house Clegane
1 rider from house clegane
1 wizard

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
Seeing SO many BEAUTIFULLY painted minis all together is a visual treat. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx