Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:26:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gandalf's thread of stuff - aSoIaF kitbashes, Oathmark etc.  (Read 46827 times)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
Re: Gandalf's thread of stuff - aSoIaF kitbashes, Oathmark etc.
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
Reinforcements for the Orcish Horde.

The Minotaur is Reaper Bones, and will be either a Champion of Bipedal Creature in the Warband. The two orcs (black hood is a leader of sorts) are meant to bolster my Warriors, allowing me to field two groups of 10 potentially. The Berserker is the 5th(bad number in SAGA...) and probably final Berserker, since I ran out of Warlord Celts.

Second pictures show some Gnolls. These don't really fit into the Saga warband, but are supposed to be a kind of scout detachment to the Horde. They each represent a Frostgrave henchman archetype: Treasure Hunter, Thief, Barbarian, Ranger and a Man-at-Arms(sans shield).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:55:43 PM by Gandalf the G »

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »
I really like that Minotaur and the Ghoul/berserker.  Thanks for sharing.  I didn't think the Bones Minotaur looked that good, but you sure made it look great.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
Looking good! We'll need to play a game soon!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »
That's a Bones Minotaur? Nice.

I must have an older one.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
This is the beginning of my Erathian army for Saga Age of Magic.
Erathia is of course the kingdom represented by the Castle faction in classic PC game Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Here you can see a unit of Levy with bows. Archers, the 2nd tier unit from the videogame are equipped with crossbows in the game, but the box art depicted them with longbows. I will be making some crossbowmen as well, though.

There is also a unit of Warriors with spears, representing Pikemen, the 1st level unit from the game. I intend to play these as plain Warriors, the long spears better representing a defensive unit than units with 2-handed weapons in Saga.

In the background you can see a Griffon, the 3rd level unit in HoMM3. This is a flying Monster(Scourge). I use relatively small models for my monsters, as I like the semi-realistic vibe of Saga armies more than let's say Warhammer, that would have HUGE models for monsters. The model is from Wizkids, and I think it is a really great model, one of the best ones from that range.

The photo also shows a commander model meant to represent Sorsha, one of the Knights from the game. This character was specialized in heavy infantry. The model can be used as a Captain or Warlord. It might get a shield at some point.
Also visible is a fully armored knight with a pike, that will get a banner eventually.

Next up: Cavaliers, Crossbowmen, and foot knights.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2019, 06:28:50 PM »
HoMM3, what a fun project! Have the Griffon as well, it's a lovely model.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
Monsters for the Orcish Horde:

First image shows a Titan, a heavily armored giant, armed with a mace and a dungeon door. Next to him you can see the Minotaur, Bugbear(bipedal creature) and an orc warrior.

Second pictures shows a wizards apprentice facing off against a Manticore, which is to be used as a Scourge(flying monster) in the Horde.

Titan, Minotaur, Bugbear and Manticore are Reaper Bones. The orc is Oathmark, and the Apprentice is Frostgrave.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
I've been playing a few games of SAGA with the Horde.
My armt has been:
Hogman, Warlord with 2-handed weapon
Sorceror (I have a couple of different minis for this, either a Hasslefree Wizard or a plastic conversion)
2x10 Warriors
12 Levy bowmen
3 Bipedal Creature (bugbears)
4 Hearthguard, standard or Berzerkers.
1 Monster

I played the Monster as a Titan once, which was great. When I used the Behemoth, I overstretched my lines and lost it.

First game, against Underearth, was a tie. Second game, against a Undead army was a win! But, I lost my Warlord in both games.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
Love the bugbears :)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »
I played a game against Ogrobs great new Autumnwoods army. We rolled up a Battle of Warlords scenario that allowed me to deploy all my forces on the flank of the autumnwooders. It started out well, but in the end it was a minor defeat.

I finished up a "War Chariot" earlier in the day, represented by a Mammoth. The mammoth is an old toy model from the British Museum, and the rider is a kitbash of Shieldwolf, Victrix and Frostgrave parts, mostly. The base is going to be changed for a proper one pretty soon.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
Fireforge Zombie Peasants!

I got the kit a while ago, and built a few zombies, using mostly parts of the kit, but also GW, Oathmark Humans, Warlord Gauls and Mantic Ghouls.

I made a couple of them look like Zombie versions of my Oathmark human soldiers.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »
Couple of pictures from some recent games.

First one is a from a Saga scenario I played using my Orc Horde against my friends Landsknecht Great Kingdoms. It was the Old Feud Scenario.

The backstory we agreed on was that the two extra characters were advisors to a king. The councilor has found evidence that the mystic is actually in league with demonic forces. The mystic steals away to avoid judgement. The councilor gathers a small warband in order to apprehend him, but is surprised to find that the mystic is now leading an equal warband of orcs and reavers. His plan is to kill the councilor and his soldiers, and hopefully return to the kings good graces.

It was a pretty tense game, but the mystic was run down by a gang of templars.

In the first picture you can see the mystic, accompanied by a Champion.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
This thread continues to deliver! Great kitbashing, great brushwork.... and it sounds like you had a great game.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Nice touch making a few zombie versions of your soldiers! Really great looking collection!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »
The zombies look great, and I love the Knight vs Ogre picture.