Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Manufacturers of 28mm Cold War Vehicles and Equipment.  (Read 61794 times)

Offline LaserCutCard

• Librarian
  • LaserCutCard
    • LaserCutCard
Re: Manufacturers of 28mm sized Cold War Vehicles and Equipment.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »
Hi all

LaserCutCard are now making a 1/55 Buffel. This is a multipart kit made from heavy card, MDF and plastic.

It is available in either the standard "buffel" version or a flatbed version referred to as a "moffel".

http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles

Kind regards
Neal

Offline sgallagher

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
Just getting into this as a hobby what r the best makers of helicopter for this scale I assume 1/48 looking for 2 hueys , a cobra and Mabey a Blackhawk ?

Offline Commando HQ

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Some rather disparaging comments have been made about the Commando Miniatures Land Rover earlier in this thread and the production team would like to take the opportunity to set the record straight.

First of all scale. The Land Rover is criticised for being underscale. In fact the model is exactly to 1/56 scale as any check of the dimensions will quickly reveal.  The original Series 1 SWB had a wheelbase of 84” which is 1.5” in 1/56 scale. The model has a wheel base of precisely 1.5”. Similarly the width overall is 59.1” equating to 1.06” in 1/56; the model is very fractionally wider than 1”. Later variants had a wheelbase of 86” – we suspect we will be forgiven for not producing a second version 0.04” longer than the first.

If the model looks small, it is because the Series 1 Short Wheel Base Land Rover is a small vehicle and anyone who has owned or driven one will usually comment on how compact it is. Overall length is 11’ 4”, which is actually shorter than a modern Mini. 

The Land Rover master was fabricated by a skilled model maker who has made vehicle masters for a number manufacturers. We set out to make a life-like representation of the original, suitable for wargamers. It has all the necessary detail including door handle recesses, windscreen wipers, lights, number plates and radiator grille. We would be the first to admit it is not a fine scale model; we leave that to companies such as Accurate Armour. Our aim was to provide a model of a ubiquitous vehicle, suitable for many armies over a twenty year period, and at a price which would allow customers to purchase two or three if required.

Casting was initially carried out by an experienced resin casting company, more recently we have commenced casting ourselves. Any item which does not meet our quality standard is rejected and goes in the bin.  Every item that has been packaged for sale has been a crisp clean casting with minimal flash. We are always ready to replace, free-of-charge, any defective item. In nearly 18 months of online trading we have had to do this once so far (not a Land Rover casting). 

Commando Miniatures is always ready to take suggestions for improvement or constructive criticism. However we cannot allow unsubstantiated criticism to go unanswered especially where it is factually incorrect.   

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
Here are the original remarks.

Their website doesn't mention scale but to put it mildly, it's somewhat undernourished. It might just be pushing 1/60. I bought one second hand and frankly it's an underwhelming piece of kit. roughly cast and poorly detailed. I can't say I'm a fan. Others' mileage may vary.

Well I'll happily accept what you say about the scale. I haven't actually got a set of calipers and a tape measure out on the example I have. To me it feels small, especially when sitting next to the TAG LWB Seies 2 and I still think it feels titchy next to the 28mm British I have. Still if it's the correct size, then I retract my remarks regarding size. It cetainly matches up size wise with a die cast Mini I have which purports to be 1/55.

Regarding the quality of the model itself, well naturally enough that's a subjective thing. What I can faithfully report is that I purchased an example of said model from another member of this forum. The casting was fairly rough, detail soft and the wheels are out of round, at least the hubs are.  Mine underwent quite a bit of sanding and ended up being painted in a civilian scheme because it just looks odd next to all the other vehicles I have.  Not a thing of beauty but quite serviceable, especially as it is the only example out there and as I said originally, others mileage may vary.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:33 AM »
I got my eye on one of the James bond car collection T-55. to represent a updated Type 59D for my Empress PLA. Does any one know if they scale to each other?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Check this blog Moody:

http://wpggamegeeks.blogspot.com/2012/07/fun-with-size-and-scale-156-150-143.html

I wouldn't mind a tank like that either, you found your on Ebay?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 02:28:49 AM »
A lot of Gaso.line's stuff is a little new for this thread, but they've just re-released their ERC-90...  :-*

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
Is there an RCL in 28mm or close scale?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Lobsterback

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
Gentlemen,

HLBS has just released the ZSU23/4 as part of their Cold War/Modern Vehicle line.  Here is the Catalogue page entry:  http://www.hlbs.co.uk/product.php?id=828

Enjoy!

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
Re: Manufacturers of 28mm Vehicles and Equipment.
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Lobsterback

• Assistant
Re: Manufacturers of 28mm Vehicles and Equipment.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
Just spotted the PLA ZBD-05 has been released by Empress Miniatures.  It's in the webstore and pictures are posted to their Facebook page.

It's also posted to the Empress New Releases thread....  lol
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:04:31 PM by Lobsterback »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
Re: Manufacturers of 28mm Cold War Vehicles and Equipment.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »
Good news. Seems that Blitzkrieg's BMP-1 will soon be with us, to be followed by a Chieftain. I must say the placement of the Sagger is a bit off but I'm not fussed, I'll be leaving it off anyway.

http://www.tiny-soldiers.com/index.php/Thread/14634-BMP-1-von-Blitzkrieg-Miniatures/

http://www.blitzkriegminiatures.com/

Exciting times indeed. :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 06:44:48 PM »
Good things come to those who wait and all that.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »
Some more Land Rovers:

Matchlock Miniatures's "Winter of 79" includes a Series III, with or without tilt, and a variant with a rear-mounted Wombat:
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=22&CategoryID=82&SubCategoryID=360

TARV Models does a Series II LWB model, original by Ian Crouch - with tilt, with frame only or without.  Sadly it's been listed as "out of stock" for months:
http://www.tarvmodels.co.uk/?product_cat=land-rover
Slowest website ever, but it does load eventually.  They also do RN and UNIT decals.

And Akula made some very nice 1/55 SWB Land Rovers for his Apocalypse Isle range.  I don't know if he has any left (I seem to have bought quite a few!):
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=69062.msg849829#msg849829
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:14:43 PM by Steve F »