Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:00:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dead Man's Hand solo play  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
Dead Man's Hand solo play
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
I decided it was about time I actually played some games with my Old West stuff instead of just hoarding it so I set to learning the DMH rules ready for when my gaming buddy gets his posse sorted. I played through "The Stranger" opening scene from "The Good, The Lead and The Ugly" scenario three times to get a feel for the rules.

Game 1

I used a Marshall from the Lawman posse for my Stranger against 3 bandits of the Desperado gang, all armed with pistols. The bandits stood in a line in the middle of the street blocking the road. The Stranger stood opposite about 8" away. For this game I just wanted to work out the activations and shooting. The Stranger starts cos he begins the game as if he draws an ace and he shoots 3 times at the bandit to his left, placing a marker on him. The bandits get some lucky shots off wounding the Stranger. The Stranger goes first again next turn and his high dice rolls kill the left bandit, hope fills him as the numbers start to even out. Sadly those were his last thoughts as the middle bandit also gets luck rolling a 20 killing the poor Stranger.

Game 2

So this time round I decide to try moving them. The Stranger decides to try his luck shooting again, putting markers on the middle bandit. The bandit to the left ducks into the awning of a store taking cover and the bandit to the right ducks into the saloon and tries a sneaky shot missing the Stranger. The middle bandit shoots the Stranger putting a marker and causing a nerve test which he passes easily. Next turn the Stranger scores high again killing the bandit still in the street and walks toward the bandit in the store closing the range and kills him too. Could this be the Strangers lucky day? No. The bandit in the saloon also scores high killing the Stranger outright. Another win to the bandits. It's at this point I look at my 'hand' and see I could have avoided certain events but oh well. Live and learn.

Game 3

Same starting positions again. This time the Stranger moves three times and takes cover in the sheriff's office. The bandits move to take positions surrounding the sheriff's office and one takes a shot but misses. Next turn the cards go against the Stranger and he's set to go last. Could be trouble ahead. But wait, he has the joker in his hand allowing him to swap his activation card with that of the bandits making him go first. He takes shots at all three putting two markers on nearest bandit and one on the middle bandit. The bandits return in kind putting two markers on the Stranger despite him being in cover. Next turn the Stranger puts markers on the same two bandits again. The desperados get another on the Stranger but there's some woeful dice rolling and lots of misses. The Stranger manages to go first yet again killing two bandits outright only to be killed himself by the remaining guy. Desperados win again.

Despite playing on my own, and thinking I'd have a bias to one side (I thought I'd be wanting the Stranger to win) I played both sides fairly, using card events when it made sense. And despite the Stranger losing all three games it was never a certainty in any of them. I had lots of fun learning these rules, I'm sure I got bits wrong and missed out some things but its a great game and I can't wait to actually play against an opponent.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
Re: Dead Man's Hand solo play
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »
OK, sorry for the double post. Just had another game and it was even more fun.

Turn 1

The Stranger stared down the street at the three bandits facing him, things looked like they'd get nasty pretty soon. Decisive action was needed. He headed forward toward the adobe building to his right aimed his pistol at the right hand bandit and fired, the bandit took a wound to his shoulder. Satisfied with the outcome he ducked into the shelter of the adobe dwelling (6 of hearts allowed a bonus move after his actions).

The bandit who was hit, enraged at the insolence of The Stranger moved toward the dwelling aimed at the back of The Stranger as he entered and fired, hitting and grazing the lawman as he took cover, despite his own injury.

The middle bandit sensing The Stranger was now a cornered wounded animal marched at the double toward the adobe and took a hasty shot but his aim was shoddy and the bullet went wide.

The remaining bandit, feeling his mates had things covered ran to the sheriff's office on the opposite side of the street to offer covering fire if things went south.

Turn 2

Despite having the initiative the bandit in the sheriff's office made himself cosy discovering a bottle of whiskey and staying where he was.

The un wounded bandit seeing a clear point blank shot at The Stranger takes aim but as he's about to pull the trigger the lawman, recovering from being hit, turns and sees the danger and ducks into cover behind the adobes walls.

The wounded bandit moves up to the corner of the adobe to get a clear shot, levels his iron and shoots the retreating Stranger, wounding him again.

Turn 3

Recovering significantly from his earlier wound the bandit at the corner of the adobe aimed again but missed The Stranger.

Greeting worried his friends were taking far too long killing one man, the bandit runs from the sheriff's office to help his mates. Always time for whiskey later.

The Stranger shoots at the bandit on the corner through the door, killing him instantly. He then moves to the window and takes an unsteady shot at desperado running from the office, grazing him.

Angered by his buddies death the remaining bandit to move runs into the adobe and takes an aimed shot at The Stranger but only succeeds in knocking plaster from the wall behind.

Turn 4

The desperado frustrated by his poor shot takes aim and shoots again, The Stranger reacts and shoots at the same time as the bandit, simultaneously hitting each other. The bandits final shot goes wide as he's take off balance from his wound. The Stranger is hit more severely but his nerve holds.

Recovering from being shot at the bandit running from the office moves to get a view in the window, sees the lawman and shoots but scatters more brick and plaster from the walls.

Turn 5

Feeling something needed to be done and done fast The Stranger aims his pistol at the bandit in the doorway and readies to pull the trigger. Trying to save himself the bandit runs for it out the door but is too slow for the lawman and falls to the dusty road with a smoking hole in his back, blood mixing with the dirt.  The Stranger turns to look out of the window and fires at the remaining bandit. The desperados advance falters as a bullet takes him square in the forehead, knocking him off his feet to finally fall still in the road.

The Stranger dusts himself off and steps over the bodies in the street as he walks back to his office. A nice shot or two of whiskey was in order after that.