Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: alea iacta est (Update - 14/05/2015) - retiarius  (Read 21058 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
alea iacta est (Update - 14/05/2015) - retiarius
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »
Fired up by playtesting Furt's Blood on the Sands and the eye-candy on  Carmen's Painty Fun Time blog, I've ordered some 54mm gladiators and am now workin out the best way to make an arena for them. There are loads of examples of biscuit tin arenas but I fear the sides may be too short for 54mm figures and there would be too little playing space.

I spotted these images for a "Marx" brand arena and wondered if anyone knows what sort of size the pieces are, whether they would take paint well, any deal-breaking historical stupidity in the pieces (I just need "looks right" but the pictures are too small for me to make out the details).

Any knowledge out there in the LAF hive-mind?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:24:38 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: "marx" plastic arena - help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
First of all, they will cost you a good penny to buy.  They are in scale with 54mm, being made in the 50s for the "Ben Hur" playset.  I think there is even a "Royal Box" in the set.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
Thanks, Nick, although it seems I've been lucky with my find - £12 for eight stands, enough to make a complete circle, which seems pretty decent to me. I also got an incredibly quick reply from the vendor who said:

The diameter is 23inches on the outside, 15.25inches on the inside, and it is 3.25inches at the highest point.

If you buy the 2 arena stands this will add 5inches into the length of it on each side.

These are the "arena stands":

which would allow me to make an oval arena, but they're an extra £8 each. Now to work out if that's big enough for hexes about 40-45mm across...  ???
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:32:48 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
Great idea! Sometimes I wish I had gone 54mm too, but it is too late to turn back now! I'll be watching this in envy!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
Very cool...indeed...almost bought be a playmobil arena last night on a whim... lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Thanks, Nick, although it seems I've been lucky with my find - £12 for eight stands, enough to make a complete circle, which seems pretty decent to me. I also got an incredibly quick reply from the vendor who said:

These are the "arena stands":

which would allow me to make an oval arena, but they're an extra £8 each. Now to work out if that's big enough for hexes about 40-45mm across...  ???

Don't suppose he's got another set has he?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
Through my experiences playing gladiator games Rabs, I think you really must come to a compromise between playability and what is aesthetically pleasing. Although an enclosed circular or oval arena looks grand, when it comes to playing on it, the enclosed arena can be a bit of a pain. Unless you can lower the arena playing surface below a normal table height, moving the gladiators becomes quite problematic and tiresome, over an arena wall. It doesn't sound like much effort, but do it twenty times over and it wears on you. I would recommend you use an open arena, where the arena forms the rear and side walls of the playing area, like a backdrop, leaving the front part open for ease of play. Pretty much exactly like the original image of the arena seating you provided in the first image. The plus side is you only need half the seating too.  :)

BTW I think the "Marx" seating looks really nice, especially when painted up. I'd tell the young lass to stop dangling her legs over the edge like that though, what with lions and all.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:15:55 PM by Furt »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Very cool...indeed...almost bought be a playmobil arena last night on a whim... lol

Let me know if you want one. I've got the half and the full, looking for new homes!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:01:41 AM »
I didn't see you type that...I didn't see you type that (you're probably not int he US so no worries, won't pay for that!)  lol

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
Weren't a lot of the ampitheatres half-moon shaped? Perhaps it was to allow the Gods to play without straining their backs  ;)

Nice looking stands/models there chap
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
Weren't a lot of the ampitheatres half-moon shaped?

These were theatres or odeons. The "less cultivated" Romans just shoved them together to form an amphitheatre. ;)

That Marx arena is actually a nice piece of work. As are 54mm figures. Personally, don't see a use for spectators – unless for visual effect when you can field masses of them – but that's just me. Anyway, I concur with Furt, go for ease of play and leave one side open.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
Thanks everyone - half a marx arena it is, then  :D

btw, my source for them is http://plasticsoldiers.co.uk/index.php/period/romans/ who seem to be selling off their stock. Also, I notice from pictures of the old Ben Hur set that NickNascati correctly identifies these pieces as having been sold in previously that the blue arena stands aren't as deep as the red banked corners so would look a bit odd interspersed. I think I'll go for just the red bits and maybe build my own straight section to fit more exactly.

edit - blooming IMG tags  ::)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I think I'll go for just the red bits and maybe build my own straight section to fit more exactly.

A nice editor's box would fit nicely between and alleviate the need to match the exact shape as the plastic arena parts. It looks like a winner!  :)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »
That was my plan, Furt! Cheers  :D

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
Having moved to 54mm stuff a few years ago I've become a big fan of using artists gesso as a primer. Though be aware, it can act differently depending upon the plastic. In 90% of the figures I've painted, it's fine. But occasionally, the stuff will just roll right off a figure--sort as if the plastic contains a lot of oil. I'm also a fan of using Aleene's Tacky glue as a primer and a finishing coat. It dries crystal clear but will give a gloss finish. But it's the most durable finish I've found for soft plastics and remains pliable for years which prevents chipping--and I like the glossy, toy soldier effect. However, using Aleene's as a primer is an art form. The stuff is water soluble and painting acrylic over it can cause it to swell and shrink creating cracks in your first coat of acrylic paint. Plus, I don't recommend using washes when using this method. Like I said, it's an art.

Welcome to the wacky world of big soft plastic figures!

--jeff
http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com

http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)