Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indoctri....letting my daughter learning the joy of tabletop gaming  (Read 10290 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Indoctri....letting my daughter learning the joy of tabletop gaming
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Today my Mirliton Orcs arrived and I must say that they are good. I like the looks and the casting are very good. Hardly any flash or mould lines to speak of. Finally the Orcs have gotten some bows.  :)

I found the Old Grenadier/Now Mirliton minis to be a joy to paint. Have FUN with the painting et al.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:13 AM »
This friday my foundry Norman spearmen and early medieval foot Knights arrived. I was a Little afraid that the Knights would look to small but once they where on a base they looked good.

Time to paint up the Baron....

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
Hi there. I havenīt forgotten about this. Just been busy.

I have painted some more minis and converted up a Noble lady in "scout" dress. Much like Lord Skragge. (It will be good to sit with my daughter on a small background story for her).

Now to the problem. I am looking for a battle dressed Lady for later incarnations of the Lady. Finding a female miniature ddressed for battle, rather than a kinky day at the beach seems to be a small problem. I want her to wear a chainmail without any steel plating. I would prefer A longer chainmail than the hip.

Do anyone out there know some mini that could work? I found one or perhaps two that could be used at Reaper, but otherwise I am at a loss.

And some photos....

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:03 PM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
Thinking off the top of my head, some nice female adventurer/warrior tyes were sculpted for the DSA range.  They might work:
Female Warrior
Female Cleric of Rondra
Female Mercenary
Weiden Light Knight Lady-at-Arms.  there's not picture on the shop site, but there's a picture of the old boxed set here; she's the figure just to the right of the leader, with the round helmet, holding her shield quite high.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »
EXCELLENT PROGRESS!

For a Female Paladin check out the Girls in the Crusader for Warlord:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Crusaders/sku-up

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
Good job getting the wife to play, mine played once and having defeated me soundly she has refused me a rematch because "her"army is "undefeated", and why would she want to ruin a perfect record? ;P  ::)

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »
Re. female models - Eowyn from GWs LoTR might suit? Also Bronze Age miniatures have some female vikings and there are some female Njorn from Red Box Games.

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:25 AM »
Red Box Games may be worth a look.

I believe these two are supposed to be elves but as they wear helmets could pass for human.
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »
Reaper does have a number of female figures in their huge ranges that are in "sensible" armour, not "chainmail bikini" nonsense. I've painted up a couple for female friends over the years who wanted RPG character figures in regular kit, but can't remember figure names. Best I can suggest is use Reaper's very nice search function on their web catalog, try terms like "female sword" or "female chain" and have a look through the search results.

Nicely done getting the wife and daughter involved; a friend of mine with three daughters (10 and 8x2) is getting them solidly hooked on gaming using methods similar to yours, and it's been fun to conspire with him a bit!

Incidentally, try the board game Small World as a way to generate background for other games; it's a great and very playable game in it's own right, too.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
Thanls for the replies and suggestions. Its been a great help.

Just out of curiosity...

Iīve been thinking about building a battleboard system using insulationboard (blue or pink) and I want them modular. What do you Think about just scaling up "Carcassone" tiles?

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
Exciting batreps and some lovely maps there. A great choice of minis - looking forward to seeing your new orcs take on the Normans.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »
Thanls for the replies and suggestions. Its been a great help.

Just out of curiosity...

Iīve been thinking about building a battleboard system using insulationboard (blue or pink) and I want them modular. What do you Think about just scaling up "Carcassone" tiles?

May be worth looking at this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30403.0
....take the good fight underground.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
There hasnīt been much gaming or painting for the rest of the summer since laying by the beach and going for swims seems to have taken up our time.

But some stuff from Sarrisa arrived. All wooden buildings are from their Dark age range.

The foamcore and plaster are a build of mine made from foam core and Hirst art plaster. It is meant to be a wealthy village leaders home.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
Thread necromancy.

This "Project" still lives but not quite in the speed I would like. Now I need some advice.

I used GW goblins as they were cheap (in so far that I had bought them a long time ago) but I want to use some other manufacturer as I do not like the looks of GW goblins. Are there any other good manufacturers out there that has a good, preferably plastic, range of goblins? I need Archers, melee, cavalry, shamans, and warleaders. I will not need warmachines.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
Well, there's the Oathmark Goblins, but I'm afraid that they'll scale up to be about as tall as the metal orcs you're using right now.

You might want to take a look at the older Confrontation goblins too, but the currently available ones are metal, although there was a questionable Kickstarter, promising to do all the old Confrontation ranges in PVC plastic, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for those...

Reaper has some Goblins in their Bones range which might be useful to you, and many more in their metal ranges.

Also, I could see Mirlington or Iron Wind for instance having some interesting ranges, but those would be metal I fear.

Oh; and how about Mantic's Kings of War Goblins?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!