Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: American Civil War/Old West Train Build.  (Read 13634 times)

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
Re: American Civil War/Old West Train Build.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments - a quick question though, could some nice person point me in the right direction for some white lettering in the form of either dry or waterslide transfers/decals for the tender and carriages?  I'm not having a lot of luck in that department at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:31:42 PM by Rivera »
"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
I'm having a quick break at the moment to do some research and figure out my next move.

In the meantime here's what will eventually be an armoured freight car.  I've popped the bogies off so I could get a small screwdriver between the chassis and body to gently ease it off.  The hopper will probably end up in the spares box with the lower framework used as the basis for the car itself.  I've marked off some 1mm thick plastic card and scored some 2mm planking in it (using the back edge of a scalpel blade) for the siding.  More on that later.

And here's a picture of the disassembled oil tanker which will eventually be a flat car.  The bogies were pinched off so I could access the screws to release the tank and the lugs on the framework were cut down level to eventually take the planking.  I've two options as to the planking, I can either go the coffee-stirrer route or score some 2mm thick plastic card to make 3-4mm boards.  Hmm .....

Your thoughts, suggestions and criticisms are always welcome chaps :)

former user

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
absolutely no ambition to slow down Your scratchbuilding enthusiasm  ;)
but have a look here
http://www.auhagen-shop.de/product_info.php?info=p480_plastic-decor-sheets-wall-plank-natural-colour.html

in case You feel capable of reproducing the trucks, I could help You out with some wheels and axles

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
A flat car is nice to have, as you can build additional add-ons to fit on top, such as a row of sandbags/rails for an open top infantry car, a sloping wooden gun shield around a large rail gun, or some other such stuff.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
I've just been rediscovering the joys of working with plastic card, which I haven't used for some good few years now, and have constructed a bed for the flat car and the sides for the freight car.  I would post some pictures but it would just be of slabs of white card ....  I'll upload some pics when they're more presentable.

@ former user - thanks for the link to the sheets of plastic planking but I think that I'll give it a go myself first. If I mess up badly I'll certainly give them a shot.  Wheels and axles would be great if you've the also got the chassis to go with them as I'm not that good a scratch builder :)

@FramFramson - the flat car is coming on apace and I'm a bit spoilt for choice when it comes to add-ons - there's sandbags, rails and wooden shields as you suggest and I've even heard mention of cotton bales as protection against enemy fire?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Too bad you don't have one more car. If you could get a passenger car together that would give you plenty of additional options. It could disgorge troops as a scenario event (weak forces must hold off strong ones until reinforcements arrive by rail), or an objective to protect (troop transport) and some other options besides. 

former user

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
troops would have been transported in reinforced boxcars, not in passenger cars.
At least in combat trains

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
Check out the Osprey "American Civil War Railroad Tactics" it's a great sourcebook and source for scenario ideas.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
Just a note of interest to your train.
I've been looking around for a more modern train to convert to an armoured version for 28mm Spanish Civil War/Russian Civil War/VBCW gaming and I managed to pick this up at a local Family Bargains store last weekend :
http://chennai.olx.in/int-l-express-train-toy-set-for-sale-for-rs-200-negoshiable-iid-182711896
(I got a bigger set with 1 tanker, 2 of the closed goods wagons, a passenger coach, more track and a little station ! but cant find an example to link to)
I've noticed from the WIP shots that the Tender is identical though the packaging for the sets are completely different (same manufacturer or a knock off ?)
Have you got any up to date pics of your train please ?

Regards

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
Thanks for the interest in my train project bobblezbob but I ran out of steam on this one ::)  It's sitting around waiting for me to get over my latest Sci-fi venture.

The tender does look very similar and I have the feeling that there's a factory somewhere in China that produces these trains with variations on packaging etc.

I'll probably be putting another train up for sale soon in the Bazaar of Obscurities section so keep an eye open for that one.