Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690785
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SOLO Gladiator Rules  (Read 4888 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
SOLO Gladiator Rules
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
All,
      So as I've said previously, I had bought and sold collections of Gladiators twice.  I love the subject and the figures.  However I can't seem to find a set that will work solo and yet still capture the movment of the actual fight. RSBS is detailed and comprehensive, but any time I have tried to play it, I feel like the figures are just left standing still while I consult tables and roll dice.  Are there any other sets out there that really capture the flavor but work solo?
                                                                                                  Nick

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: SOLO Gladiator Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
Nick,
I am unaware of a set of rules that will do gladiatorial combat solo to this extent. I have played my own rules many times solo, but just for play testing. I believe Mad Doc Morris also play tested solo as well. I admit that keeping track of two gladiators with all those counters may seem a little daunting.
What do you believe is an acceptable mechanic for solo gaming? Could you run both combatants without bias, choosing the best course for each gladiator? Do you need a table to tell you what your opponent does in response to your moves?

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:18 AM »
Furt,
        I am basing what I said on my experience with Red Sand, Blue Sky.  The mechanics of RSBS really don;t even require moving the figures.  I want something that feels and looks more like two fighters trying to kill each other.
                                                                          Nick

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »
Yes, I understand that Nick, but...

What do you believe is an acceptable mechanic for solo gaming? Could you run both combatants without bias, choosing the best course for each gladiator? Do you need a table to tell you what your opponent does in response to your moves?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »
I hate to say it, but there is a lovely Spartacus video game that just came out. I cant see a satisfactory experience coming out of making all the decisions for a gladiator game by yourself.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
I tested BotS for the first time yesterday (solo) in preparation for a game on Thurs. Huge fun.

Mind you. I can also play chess against myself if the mood takes me
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
When it comes to gladiator games many are hexed based and thus should be relatively easily converted into solo play (or at any rate movement of the enemy can be) certainly I would be interested in whatever you come up with as I normally find myself battling myself. For other actions randomised card events always work a treat.

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
I wrote a hex-based set where each player selects three 'action' cards. I haven't played it for years but it might work OK for solo play. Especially if you randomize the order in which the action cards are revealed. That way the solo player has a large influence over what the gladiator does, but the details and results are up to fate. There's a little bit of record keeping involved.

https://sites.google.com/site/petiteguerre/home/familia-gladiatoria

--jeff
http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
Jeff,
       Thanks, I will take a look at it.  Generally rules that use cards do work reasonably well solo.

Nick

Offline DrHaustellum

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »
In Munera sin Missione you really have to move your gladiators into the best position to attack. It is much simpler than RSBS, but so much more dynamic, fluid and rewarding...  It is not a solo game, but I enjoy playing all gladiators by myself.  And even better: it is free!  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Links, good Dr.?

Nick,  a gladiator game is on my list of things to do...already started researching  lol.  I'd like to pick up a game or two if people have good solo recommendations.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
sanity is for cowards

Offline DrHaustellum

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
Thanks, ink the troll.  ;)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
"What do you believe is an acceptable mechanic for solo gaming? Could you run both combatants without bias, choosing the best course for each gladiator? Do you need a table to tell you what your opponent does in response to your moves?"

Furt,
         Sorry, I guess I didn't answer you completely.  I'm not sure there is an ideal solo mechanic.  I've played games solo for years that were never meant to be.  For example, The Sword and the Flame, Disposable Heroes, DBA and most recently Fistful of Lead.  I think that card driven games are the easiest to randomize actions for.  So yes, I can make rational decisions for opposing sides without a table to refer to.  What I want, are rules that give me a reason to move the Gladiator figures.

Nick

Online Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
It depends what level of simulation you want. If it's two groups of gladiators fighting, you could probably adapt some skirmish rules. If you want a man-to-man fight, perhaps adapt some rules of duelling musketeers, I think such rules exist.

In my opinion, detailed duelling rules are never satisfactory when they try to simulate each action (attack, parry, recoil, attack again, etc) and each action takes some time to play, say 30 seconds and the player has to think about it to resolve it ; while in real life it would only take one second and the gladiator or duellist reacts instinctively.

Some duels sometimes happen in my skirmish games, with a very quick system (derived of the "Argad!" ruleset), as this duel at the end of a battle when a Saxon chief accepted to surrender his besieged village only if the SubRoman British chief accepted to fight him :

But you will probably think it's too simple :  :D

Basically each were very good fighters, "class 5" in the rules that means they are wounded/killed it the opponent rolls a 6, and they recoil 2 cm if he rolls a 5. They were PC characters so 2 hit points. On the first wound a "hit localisation" dice (D12) is rolled, to know the localisation of the wound.

The cunning SubRoman chieftain had brought a bard and a monk with him, they were praying and chanting behind him, that gave him +1 bonus, he won.  ::)