Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:22:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Cyberpunk/Blade Runner terrain (B-Movie at Rock Con 2013, 10-27)  (Read 31503 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
I've been working furiously on a cyberpunk setting for a game coming up in September. Since I have a little extra time, and I want something impressive, I've decided to build some new buildings and street furnishings. The major feature of my set will be this building, the Gibson Building. This model started out as an 'O' scale model train building. I originally painted it strictly Black and White to go with my Sin City project. That didn't pan out. It has since appeared in a few games, but I knew it needed to be repainted. My plan was to paint this up as a typical six story building from the 20's. Then I'll add extra stuff to it to make it look retro-fitted to a dark and grimy future, much like the Bradbury Building from Blade Runner. I finished painting the building and it looks like this...

From there I've started making the exterior pieces that are added to the building to give it the future refit look. I haven't painted any of the additions yet. I'd like some opinions as to whether I need more stuff or should I leave it alone. I still plan to add faux neon signage to the front once I'm happy with the look, but that will be the last addition. Also, all the pieces are attached non-permanently. That way I still have a building usable for Pulp gaming, Modern gaming as Near Future gaming. Please let me know what you think.

I will also be posting some of the other stuff I've been working on, such as road sections, street vendors and other building as they get finished.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:16:28 AM by Michka »

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Michka's Cyberpunk/Blade Runner terrain (in progress)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
It's pretty cool looking, but what about a fire escape?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
How about a satellite dish and/or some techy-antenna-thingies on the roof?

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:12:29 AM »
Tom Reed: I'd like to make a fire escape, but those are more complex then anything I'd like to build. I've looked at fire escapes available from the model train stores. They ain't cheap, and they'd have to be ordered. Maybe something I'll add later, since this building seems to be a never ending project all by itself.

Cosmotiger: Thanks :). For some reason I forgot the satellite dish. I've got one downstairs waiting for a project too. See, this is why I asked for ideas.   

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »
I love it!  It reminds me of the Yukon Hotel in Blade Runner.  Your skills are beyond mine, but I always loved the old school Atari sign and all the trash down the alleyways.  Great work!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:57 AM »
Having the peices removable is a nice touch. I think you need to break up one or two windows with hoarding and/or fans. Regardless, a very good start.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »
Looking good!  Maybe you can put some windmills on the roof like in Blade Runner if you want to add more.  or some trash on the street would be good.

Chris 
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
I approve of this thread :]

Try and add some (and by some I mean A LOT) AC units :)

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
Maybe a sliding or otherwise more futuristic door? It would easily slot over the old one.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
Some Electronics beside the door for unlocking. Or a screen, for video calls to the inhabitants so they can see who is visiting them Before opening.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Thank you for all the great ideas. I will be using many of them. Others are either more involved then I'm looking for right now, or will see light on another building.

Oldben1:   I do need an Atari sign for the background. I'd like to find a good flat image of the huge lady-eating-sushi sign to put in the sign on the side of this building. Otherwise it'll be a huge Coke sign.
Von Lucky:   fans might be doable. If not they will appear on the built-from-scratch building I'm working on now.
Joekano:   Clumps of trash are a must. I'll be making small bases that fit into corners.
Manatic:   I'll be keeping the original door for this building, but the more modern buildings will get sliding doors.
Machinegunkelly:   Yeah, some kind of automated Doorman, maybe with a vid-screen for a head. (I've also been watching a lot of Max Headroom lately.)
and finally...
Cherno:   I hoped you'd liked this thread. You inspired much of this project. In fact, this is one of the elements you inspired. This is a street side vendor kiosks. The design is heavily based on the White Dragon piece I found on your Future Noir thread.

It's painted, but I'm considering touching it up a bit, because it's a bit too dirty. It looks more like urban ruins you'd find in a Post-Apocalypse setting, not a Cyberpunk street scene.

My other addition for today is road sections. There are two of them, and they are 3 feet long by one foot wide. The roads and the first kiosk are the only parts of this terrain project that are painted.

and a close up for detail.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:26:56 PM by Michka »

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
Middle one from Copplestone's Newsteam & Minders might be an option for a robot doorman:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FW

Forlorn Hope has this computer terminal that could be used as banking terminal/ cash machine on the streets:

http://www.forlornhopegames.co.uk/item.php?PK_UniqueID=3864

More useful sci fi bits of all sorts:
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/antenocitis/governance-of-technology-got-scenery-1.html

sanity is for cowards

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Looking good. As you point out - getting the balance between grime and dirt is key.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Gzg and the scene do ac units.  15mm but perfectly usable for 28mm.  Will watch with interest.    :)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Gzg and the scene do ac units.  15mm but perfectly usable for 28mm.  Will watch with interest.    :)
Pardulon do ac units for 28 mm.