Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689776
  • Total Topics: 118295
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Americans?  (Read 9477 times)

Offline winterborn

• Bookworm
Americans?
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
Considering a VSF american project, and not sure of the troops.

Would Civil War and Indian Wars troops be better, or Spanish-American War suit closer?
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be the light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Americans?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
I use the Artizan Plains War infantry.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
Americans?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »
I freely mix Artizan Plains war and buffalo soldiers with Spanish American war era troops as there's just enough historical precedence to justify it.

The US Army of that era was pretty stingy and would wring every bit of life out of equipment if it could.

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Americans?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
I'm using American Civil war minis from Renegade. You get 2 lots then, more painting.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Americans?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:33:47 AM »
I guess it depends on the date you want to portray but, since this is VSF, there is no reason why you shouldn't mix the two types of troops. For Spanish-American War period uniforms the following manufacturers are worth looking at:

Redoubt:

Redoubt's Boxer Rebellion range has some very nice US marines. These are very nice 28mm sculpts in slouch hats and shirt sleeve order. The range includes a couple of options of Colt MG on wheeled carriage.

Tiger miniatures:

The Tiger US troops include marines, infantry, mounted cavalry, dismounted negro cavalry and artillery. Most are in tunic and slouch hat (except the marines who are in peaked cap). They are slightly taller than Redoubt and and their rifles are obviously larger. The marines packs include Gatlings and Colts on a mix of wheeled, tripod and ship mounts. There is also a very nice marine landing gun in this range.

Parroom Station (London Warroom VSF figures):

'Slim 28mm' figures of US infantry in slouch hats and shirt sleeve order.

I am collecting Americans to make a US marine force suitable for Boxer Rebellion or Spanish-American War, using Redoubt for the core troops with additional figures from Tiger and Parroom Station to help make the force look more non-uniform and provide additional command and support troops.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Americans?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:45 AM »
I certainly agree you could go for the early civil war look or the later turn of the century uniform. I think I am leaning towards the Boxer rebellion look, I love the slouch hat and those long gaiters :)

Nice shot of Matakishi's Marines too :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Americans?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
If you are on a budget Old Glory has US troops in the Spanish-American War, Boxer Rebellion, and Pancho Villa lines also. Their packaging isn't very well suited to skirmish gaming though (30 infantry or 10 cavalry typically).

Those Redoubt USMC types look great!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm trying to make up my mind too. I'm inclined to use the Artizan. But, Old glory's packaging is great for GASLIGHT. 30 figs= 3 units of ten.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
William Gibsons "The Difference Engine" refers to New York City being a Communist city state like the Parisian Commune, just successful. I imagine militia in civil war uniforms and the scum of the boroughs forming a Revolutionary Army of the First International...

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:36:13 AM »
You might also want to check out "Sixguns and Sorcery" - one of the sourcebooks for the Castle Falkenstein RPG from R Talsorian games (I think it's available as a PDF at RPG Now) for an alternate view of VSF America.

In fact, check out anything "Castle Falkenstein" for VSF - one of the best RPG settings ever created IMHO.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »
I'm trying to make up my mind too. I'm inclined to use the Artizan. But, Old glory's packaging is great for GASLIGHT. 30 figs= 3 units of ten.

Something to consider: Old Glory bags tend to have some unusable figures in them, so you would be lucky to actually get those three units.  A particular annoyance is the "Hey Steve!" pose (an otherwise perfectly fine figure with the head attached at a 90 degree plus angle to the front).
-Tommy

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »

Something to consider: Old Glory bags tend to have some unusable figures in them, so you would be lucky to actually get those three units.  A particular annoyance is the "Hey Steve!" pose (an otherwise perfectly fine figure with the head attached at a 90 degree plus angle to the front).

But if you have a razor saw and a Dremel or similar, it's quite easy to cut the head off & re-position it [with a pin and a bit of green stuff added] to give a better pose. I've done this with their British colonial infantry.

I say the above from the point of view of someone who is more likely to suffer a serious injury than complete a successful conversion, so if I can do it.......  lol