Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: i No pasarán !  (Read 20629 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
i No pasarán !
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 05:37:06 PM »
I have added a dedicated Spanish Civil War gallery to my website together with some more photos.

http://www.freewebs.com/olafnn/

Offline Red Ed

• Student
  • Red Aid will take care of your families
i No pasarán !
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 01:28:58 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

... And could it be true that Mitsubishi didn´t sell the "Pajero" SUV in Spain because it means a rude thing which I won´t dwell on here?

Don't know about the "Pajero," But I believe that back in the 1970s Chevy had a hard time selling the "Nova" in Spanish speaking countries because "no va" literally translates as: "It doesn't go." :lol:

The SCW figures look good.  My room-mate and I have been discussing a possible "Homage to Catalonia" May 1937 scenario - hardline CNT anarchists and some POUM vs. Communist assault troops at the Barcelona central telephone exchange.  Just kicking ideas around right now, but these figures are wetting the appetite.

Been thinking too that some of the civilian dressed irregulars we would need might be usable in an Irish 1916 Easter Uprising scenario as well.

Ed
"And remember, while you're out there risking life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are." - Rufus T. Firefly

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
i No pasarán !
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »
I'm tempted by the Anglian minis as well. Yet another reason someone should sculpt an "Ernest Hemingway" set, in various guises! Hello Copplestone!?

If I win the Lotto tonight, that will be my first commission. :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
i No pasarán !
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
I painted up the first batch of Anglian Miniatures that arrived yesterday, a command party:

Commissars, Banner Bearer, Officers. The BB was a freebie. Thx, Mr. Higgins!

A lovely little Maxim HMG:

Tonight, I´ll paint the anarchosyndicalist militia (with rainbow flag?!?) and the remaining four Interbrigadistas. And I went to my FLMS and ordered a quarter-scale Boeing P-26 for republican air support. May take up to three weeks, but its some 40% cheaper than via the internet...

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
i No pasarán !
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 09:46:03 PM »
Great work!

Although those pistols look strange to me... Look like baby guns!  :?
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 10:06:48 PM »
Well, I´m not to blame for that... I don´t know which type of pistol it shall represent, but it looks remotely similar to a Walter P38, with a shortened barrel... although I´d certainly would have preferred revolvers.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
i No pasarán !
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 10:59:42 PM »
I believe the pistol is the 1921 Spanish Astra

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
i No pasarán !
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »
Don't think so, the Astra 9mm hat a smooth barrel outside. It might be a try on the spanish military pistol 7.65 (which misses the fat ring at the muzzle shown on the minis). The bergman would be anachronistic, as it's been manufactured from 1939 onwards (38 for 1938) and even if the Falange might have got some early models, these are republicans!

If anyone should get the impression that I'm a gun expert - no, but I've Gander/Chamberlains small arms etc. of WW2 encyclopedia on my lap right now! ;)
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
More!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »
I´ve painted up the militia. Sadly, the picture isn´t that well, but until I get to take better ones (with terrain, once all the Brigadistas are painted), please use the following one.

I made them the "People´s Militia of the Revolutionary Committee of Railway Workers" (thanks to Keyan Sark for spellchecking the flag slogan!) - this gives me an excuse to finally use those rails I´ve got lying around.

Also, to get me over the dreary delivery time, I built a T-26 from cardboard, but I´m not really happy with it - looks a tad bit bland, so any suggestions to make it look more "snazzy" will be greatly appreciated. I´ve thought about a nice colourful flag, but am unsure whether to actually add one... those Nationalist captured T-26s are much nicer with their red-yellow-red turrets and St. Andrew´s Crosses on top... Worse still, somehow I botched scale, even though I had it all calculated up and down, it still looks more 1:48th than 1:56th... well, that means I have to get one of Anglian´s. :lol: :love:

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
i No pasarán !
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »
Man !!!!!! I be on  a journey one week and you paint a hole cluster of new figures are ypu crazy ?? and all are very good also !!!!
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »
I´ve finished the last of the Int´l Brigades:

And a latino-hispanic chapel, also usable for Pirates:

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
i No pasarán !
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
That would pass as a "romanic" chapel, mostly seen in the northern part of Spain... The southern part is more akin to gothic and muslim architecture. The separate bell tower is really uncommon in chapels and churchs on Spain, but nobody will blame you for it!  :lol:

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 01:11:03 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
The separate bell tower is really uncommon in chapels and churchs on Spain, but nobody will blame you for it!  :lol:

That´s because I originally conceived it for Pirate games, so the "mediterranean" look is only achieved by the colour of the render and the tiled roof... :D :lol:

Offline Klatu Verata Nicto

• Assistant
i No pasarán !
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 05:49:02 PM »
wow! Really like your army. Never thought of the subject for collecting miniatures but now i´m tempted.

Also liked the tank it look sturdy enough for me. The part i like less is the chain mechanisms  (name?) Why dont you try something more 3dimensional?

Have you seen Ken Loach´s "Tierra y Libertad"? You´ll find it inspirational.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
i No pasarán !
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »
Quote from: "Klatu Verata Nicto"
wow! Really like your army. Never thought of the subject for collecting miniatures but now i´m tempted.

Thx!

Also liked the tank it look sturdy enough for me. The part i like less is the chain mechanisms  (name?) Why dont you try something more 3dimensional?

I like the "illusion painting style", but I´ll be the first to admit that it is a bit flat. Just a current preference - sometimes I do full 3d, but since I want to buy Anglian´s T-26 soon, I didn´t want to put too much effort into it - just a sideproject, two hours for the design, two hours for assembly and painting.

Have you seen Ken Loach´s "Tierra y Libertad"? You´ll find it inspirational.

Difficult to obtain here in Germany. I bought "For whom the Bell tolls" on DVD this week, I´ve seen the Arte documentaries on the topic (70 years anniversary), and read Franz Borkenau´s "Kampfplatz Spanien", an eyewitness itinerary from 1938. I´m waiting for my public library to get back the Beevor on the subject, of course it has just been lent ONE DAY before I went to the library to get SCW books. Sheesh. ;)